Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

packet radio

W2PP
W2PP Member ✭✭
edited April 2018 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I hear a fair amount of packet radio on 2 meters around here. Since the 6700 works so well with digital modes, is their a plug in or "waveform" I can add to copy and transmit VHF or HF packet?
Thanks
Peter
W2PP

Answers

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    There is no waveform or plugin for packet. You can either try soundcard packet 1k2 on VHF with the packet engine https://www.sv2agw.com/downloads/ or pc/flexnet http://www.afthd.tu-darmstadt.de/~flexnet/flex32.html with Paxon as the PR program or - better use a TNC like the SCS tracker for 1k2/9k6 packet on VHF and robust packet on HF. I use PACTOR with a SCS PTCII-pro with my Flex-6k5 on HF, which has better error correction. It still is quite expensive and I recommend a FM TRX, like the ICOM ID-5100, the Kenwood TM-D710G or the Kenwood TS-2000X for PR with a TNC. You can get used TNC's on eBay or here https://www.eham.net/classifieds/?view=all.
    This is a lot of info and if you really want to go into error correcting modes like PR, RPR or PACTOR you'll have to read the available info on the net.
    Vy 73, Alex - DH2ID
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Thanks. Yep I’m very familiar with packet. I have several expensive TNCs around but wanted to get away from that. I use an Icom 9100. Works great but let’s face it Flex is far more convenient Peter
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018

I have looked high and low for packet programs myself. Discouraging having all this digital radio software out there and packet still hard way to go unless TNC-hardware is used.

But I understand error correction and hardware handshaking is needed I suppose.

• K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    To replace the hardware TNC, you can try SoundModem by UZ7HO.  I have used it, & it works well with my 6700 & DAX. 

As for a packet terminal program, there is not much out there anymore.   I usually use RMS Simple Terminal which is a part of the WinLink package.  There is also a program called EasyTerm out there.

73, Ray, K9DUR
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Thanks Roy, I'm looking for a simple HF and VHF packet program, does his do that?  If so where can I download it?
    Peter
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    OK Packet Engine pro connects seamlessly to SmartSDR and is getting the audio. I'll putter around on 20 meters and see if I can copy anything.  Flex is flexible!  Really ideal for digital modes of any kind.
    Peter
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Peter,

SoundMOden is strictly a software TNC.  It performs the functions of a hardware TNC & presents the data to a serial port or a TCP port.  You still need a terminal program of some sort.  You can download SoundModem from http://uz7.ho.ua/packetradio.htm.

73, Ray, K9DUR

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Thanks, in two minutes I got packet engine copying on 20 meters.  MAN, their is no end to what this radio can do!!!   All software WAY better than a pile of boxes on my table.  And it does 9600 baud.....sooooo when my Downeast microwave QSI stuff shows up I'm golden!!!  Love this radio.
    Peter
    W2PP
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Ray:
       It looks like his is easier to use and has more documentation.  Do you have a suggestion on a terminal program to use with this?
    Peter
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Never mind he had one down the page.  Sends out the tones just fine.  Now all I need is to find something to connect to on HF!! Actually I found a BBS on 20 meters.  Works perfectly.  This is one cool radio.  VHF should be just as easy.  His is very versatile and will work well I think for digi peating through satellite.  I look forward to trying.  
    Peter
    W2PP

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.