Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Requesting connection & setup instructions for SCS PTC-IIusb to 6600M

julie
julie Member
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I would very much appreciate some detailed information on setting up my pactor modem with the new 6600M (which is an amazing radio).

The modem has the P3 upgrade and bluetooth.  I've tried it with both bluetooth and a usb cable.  The connection to the accessory port of the 6600M is done with a Farallon cable # 9087.  I've read all the notes I can find on the Flex forums, tried all the settings I can think of .... no joy.  I can transmit fine and the other end has a good signal from me and responds but we do not connect.  If the other end initiates the call my modem does not respond.  My modem is acting like it is deaf.  All this is being done using Windows 10 and the latest beta version of Winlink Express.

Any and all assistance greatly appreciated.  :)

julie
ac0wn

Answers

• N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I am on a training net right now, when finished, I will send you my screen shots.
    I run a Flex-6700 with a P4 DR-7400 modem. One thing, make sure you have the
    receive filter set at least 3 KHz or more. I cannot connect with 2 KHz or less.

73, Jim N9VC
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hi Julie,
    Hope my cut and paste does OK.imageimageimage
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hi Again,

I was only on a channel. The other stations were low or high, I was not
    transmitting. Hope this is a help.

73, Jim N9VC
  • julie
    julie Member
    edited April 2018
    Hi Jim ...

Thank you very much for the screenshots and info!  I'll be testing with my buddy tomorrow afternoon and I'll let you know how we do.  Again ... many thanks.  :)

julie
    ac0wn
  • julie
    julie Member
    edited April 2018
    Well the problems getting the pactor modem to work with the new 6600M still persist.  We carefully reviewed and used the screen shots kindly provided by N9VC (thank you again, Jim) but no joy.  We do have some improvements ... the system recognizes incoming P2P requests for connection, but the modems never connect.  It's a stock cable between the radio and the modem purchased from Farallon.  The computer is communicating with the modem via Bluetooth.  The pactor modem has been tested good with an Icom IC-7300.  Perhaps someone can provide a screenshot of the settings for SmartCAT port?  All hints or suggestions kindly appreciated.

julie
    ac0wn
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    These are some additional screenshots for you to look at

imageimage

73, Jim

You mention the cat port but the radio is keyed through the ACC port
    with the Dragon. I use the USB to control the TNC from the computer.
    I'm no teacher, so I might be confusing the issue for you. But this and
    the other screenshots are what work for me. Also pay attention to the
    levels. Maybe your levels are too low.
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Forgot one. Where you can set the levels.
  • Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Have you tried using Airmail instead of Winlink?
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hi Tom,

I, myself, use Airmail, but the settings I provided work, for me, using
    Winlink Express. Both have advantages, but Airmail is my goto.

73, Jim N9VC
  • julie
    julie Member
    edited April 2018
    Well the saga continues on trying to get the SCS PTC-IIusb to work with a 6600M ...

The pactor modem is tested good with an Icom IC-7300.  The new Farallon cable has been checked and re-checked as correctly wired and functioning.  The 6600M works fine with Winmor, VARA, and ARDOP.  Of course none of those modes use the ACC port.  I created global, transmit, and mic profiles for Pactor and I've attached screenshots of all the settings I can think of that might effect the process.

The testing is being done in a controlled situation with a fellow ham about 4 miles from my QTH.  Testing has been done in both Peer-to-Peer mode and with my buddy running RMS Trimode so that I can connect using a Winlink Pactor session.  I have also tried using AirMail with no joy.  His setup is with a SCS Dragon which has been tested good with numbers of RMS stations.

The modems begin as normal ... they hear each other and attempt to connect.  Usually we would "hook up" on the first connect request .... with the 6600 they try to connect but fail ... I get a red "Error/Rq" light on my modem indicating a data or control packet contains corrupted data and cannot be decoded correctly.

I've tried many variations of levels ... double checked that we are both operating on frequency .. etc ... etc ...

I've yet to hear from anyone who owns either a 6400 or a 6600 that is successfully using these radios with a pactor modem.  I've had one other 6600 user who has contacted me indicating he has the same problem with his 6600.

I very much appreciate the input from N9VC and Tom ... if you guys see a mistake in my screenshots, please advise.

By the way, Jim ... I asked about the CAT control since Winlink uses one of the SmartCAT serial ports to send freq / mode data to the radio.

If we don't solve this soon, I'll open a help ticket and see what Flex has to say on the subject.

Again ... thank you all for your kind assistance.  Such a great community!

julie
    ac0wn

• Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Julie,
    Could I  suggest to swap modems with your friend to see if he is getting satisfactory results and see it there is some improvement on your side. If audio levels are correct, I would suspect latency or timing problems. I am thinking if use of USB connector on the back you  would help. It requires a proper port configuration however.Have you tried to connect to a distant node when propagation delays occur?

Tom, SP7WT
  • Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    DPC latency checker software       https://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

Tom, SP7WT

• julie
    julie Member
    edited April 2018
    OK ... sorry for the delay in returning to this thread.  We are engaged in a new repeater installation and it's been a busy week.  :)
    Tom ... thank you for your suggestion and the link.  I did try substituting my SCS-PTC-IIusb with a SCS DR-7400 Dragon with no joy.  Same problem.  The latency test result (attached) seems to indicate that latency is neither the issue as well.

So ... I'll post a help request to Flex and see what they come up with ... I'll update this thread with any progress from Flex.

Again ... many thanks to all for your input.

julie
    ac0wn

• Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hello again, Julie
    Some other suggestions:
    In Winmor select RADIO as Kenwood TS 480 and use CAT ports from Smart CAT. I had problems with with using TCP port.  In your Flex use rear connector for audio in, out and PTT.  I use Hal DXP-38 this way and it works well.  There is a very good Pactor discussion group- Pactor@groups.io and they are keen to respond to questions about Pactor settings. Experiment first with using all CAT ports and Kenwood radio.
    Tom, SP7WT
  • julie
    julie Member
    edited May 2018
    Update on the pactor saga ....

Thank you for the idea Tom ... I used my SCS PTC-IIusb as a 1200 baud packet modem and ran winlink packet peer to peer on 10 meters with my buddy and that worked fine.  So the cable and the audio and PTT through the accessory port work fine.  At least I now know that much.  :)

I put in a help ticket but got this response:  "We do not have the third-party hardware to validate a configuration.  And if we did have it, we don't have the bandwidth right now to work on third-party hardware."

Flex did however offer a suggestion:  "I would use a DIGU mode with the filter bandwidth set to 3-4 kHz
    Also, there is a setting in SmartSDR that allows you to change the latency characteristics of the RX filters.  

Go to the Settings option in the menu bar and select Radio Setup then the filter tab.  For the Digital mode filters, turn off AUTO and set the slider all the way to the left for lowest latency."

I tried the suggestion but had no success.  I believe it may well be a latency issue, but I'm going to join that pactor group and continue to try any and everything.

Again ... thank you all for the suggestions and input.

julie
    ac0wn
  • Ed.G
    Ed.G FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Could you try setting the low-cut of your transmit filter to something 400 and above? 

There where some changes that affect the transmit filter latency when it is below certain frequencies that may be impacting latency. 

Could you try something like a: 450 - 4000 Hz transmit filter on the radio?
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Hi Julie,

It has been quite a while since I used RMS Express with the SCS 7400.
    I find I had the same trouble also till I made one small change. On the
    Pactor TNC setup in Winlink Express, lower the transmit delay from
    30 to 15. That was the only change I made and hooked up to two
    different MBO's. Before it would only get their attention, but not do
    any handshake. My transmit bandwidth is 100-2900, which with the
    DIGI-U offset at 1500 is more than sufficient for the width.
    I just connected to a station and have my filters set to auto. he was in
    St. Louis and I am in central Wisconsin.
    Give the transmit delay in Winlink Express a try. It was the key here.

73, Jim N9VC

All my other settings are like what I posted.
  • julie
    julie Member
    edited May 2018
    Well first off, thank you Ed for the filter adjustment idea ... it did not solve the problem but it was a good idea and I appreciate the input.  :)

Jim ... your idea to lower the transmit delay to 15 ms DID THE TRICK!!!!

After getting the pactor modem working with Jim's latest suggestion, I went back and tried removing some of the settings I previously made in an effort to determine which settings were critical to proper operation.  During this process I confirmed (for my 6600M) that I could leave the radio filter setting that adjusts between low latency and tight filtering to "AUTO".  I was able to use DIGU with a standard 0 - 3K filter setting.  I did make sure my EQ settings for RX and TX were flat.  All other settings were left to those previously suggested by Jim, N9VC.

Thank you again to all the flex community that assisted me in arriving at a solution.

julie
    ac0wn

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.