Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Latest PowerSDR version by KE9NS

2»

Comments

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    It is frustrating to think that the software developers could be spending their time packing boxes and shipping radios.
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    John, if you look at the amount of changes required to accommodate the new GUI (essentials for the M series radios), and the new Amp integration then you can see where the software resources are going.

So, unless you are buying the new toys you won't  have seen any new features, performance improvements, or operator facilities since we all paid for v2 of SSDR around a year ago.

Thus, SSDR is only really moving forward as a means to shift more boxes of hardware. Despite claims, Flex are not a software company.
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    No, my recommendation did not mention CW. I will drop him an email now. Expect another release in short order I would think.

Cheers
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    @Steve G1XQW. I only work DX. I usually am the first to break into any DX pileup so when I hear claims that Flex is not a DXers radio I quietly laugh at the misinformation. For better or worse I travel a lot. Yes it was me under the Chunnel working DX and from 28 countries so far. So easy with SmartLink and Flex. So hard with every other radio I have ever tried and I have tried virtually everything on the market. All my remote contacts are DX from California no matter where I am in the world.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Not a DXer's radio?! 

I don't think there is anything better for working DX pileups!
    Combine the industry-leading panadapter, the brickwall filtering, the ability to visualize the pileup, customize the pan and volume of individual slices at will, the excellent TX EQ & PROC, RX EQ (especially helpful in enhancing poorly EQ'd stations on the other end, and the ability to use up to 4 different bands at the same time on my 6500...8 bands on a 6700, and full duplex with certain configurations.  Could there be anything better?

Yes....They need to update WNB & NB.  and Auto Notch Filter needs some work, too.  But properly adjusted in conjunction with the AGC-T, they are all helpful to different degrees...in some interference cases at my shack, the are extremely helpful.  on other interference types, they need work.

But I compensate for ANF deficiencies with TNF, which is spectacular once you learn to adjust it.

How good a DXing machine is my 6500?

Well in the short four years that I have actually worked at chasing DX, I have not only earned the DXCC, but have qualified for DXCC on 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, and 10 meters, (only 2 more QSL's to go on 12 Meters) with endorsements on CW, Phone, & Digital, and a total Challenge score of 1182.

230 Countries confirmed by LOTW... all LOW power with moderate antennas.  And I have many other QSLs from countries I am not counting because I am all LOTW here.

I know there are MANY hams with much superior scores than this, but many of them have taken a lot more time to do it, and are running much larger antennas and more power.  

Some say that "it is the skill of the operator that makes the difference."  I'm flattered by that, but the equipment enhances the operator's and ability.  Nothing else I have used in 44 years has made it as easy and as much fun to shoot DX in a barrel as my 6500 has.

Fan-boy?  Perhaps.  But Success speaks loudly at my station.  And success creates excitement...and fans.

Ken - NM9P

BTW.... KE9NS has done a spectacular job with PowerSDR. 
    If I still had my 1500, I would be running it for sure.  (I still miss my 1500).

It is, however, a much different program than SSDR, which must incorporate the processing needs of multiple, different, processors at the same time.  SSDR is much more difficult and involved to make even simple changes.  But once they are made...the 6000 series is vastly superior.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    With all due respect, 
    If Flex isn't working on software...They why is the alpha team always so busy?
    The general user base just hasn't seen some of the results yet...
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    With all due respect, 
    If Flex isn't working on software...They why is the alpha team always so busy?
    The general user base just hasn't seen some of the results yet...
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Steven, are telling everyone that no features or improvements have been done since the beginning of V2  ?
    I think you are not correct about that.
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    You were correct a updated version with 1 khz offset for CW has been released.   Fantastic!
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018

He is the best. Darren is not selling anything, nor trying to make money from it. He makes us all a better product and nobody can fault that. I'd urge anyone using Darrins PSDR to make a donation to him as he's not on the Flex payroll !!!

https://www.ke9ns.com/flexpage.html

• Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018

Bill, I challenge you!

Please review all of the updates since v2.0, I have.

Then **** out all the bug fixes, patches and gloss (cosmetics such as pop-out windows). Now, **** out any features/fixes that only apply as Maestro, M-series, PGXL or Smartlink.

What you are left with is what the average user, (and thus the core product) has benefited from.

When complete please publish your results here...

• John-KC2QMA
    John-KC2QMA Member
    edited April 2018

So since Flex won’t tell what percentages are a “Defect/Bug, New Feature Or Program Request” I will do some speculation.

So let see since we are currently at #5491 in software development management system  and that number goes up every day/month, let’s be VERY conservative and say that out of the 5491 15% of that are just Defects/Bugs that’s about 824 Bug/Defects as of right now 04/19/2018.

Now many of the “Bug Tracker” items go back to version 1.X and still have not been fixed and the number keeps growing. It would seem to me unless FlexRadioSystems hires an army of software engineers not only will you never catch up to fixing these problems we will most certainly not see much in the way of “New Features for Years and Years to come.

Not only that at the current pace FRS is addressing these “Defects” the radios will may become obsolete or another radio company will just **** past FRS in the software domain.

So unless I am missing something here Flexradio has become a “Hardware and not a Software company.

Then add the fact that you will have a new amp and out soon and that too will most certainly have issues that will need to be addressed and I would guess in the near future you will also have a replacement for the 6700 that also will have issues to address.

So again if FlexRadio does not hires a HUGE team and I mean BIG team of software engineers SmartSDR will stay stagnate for years with little tweaks an improvements.

Oh and I bet this post will closed for comments any second now.

• Tom    N5MOA
    Tom N5MOA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    "So let see since we are currently at #5491 in software development management system  and that number goes up every day/month, let’s be VERY conservative and say that out of the 5491 15% of that are just Defects/Bugs that’s about 824 Bug/Defects as of right now 04/19/2018."

Do you really think they start the numbering system over at #1 every time they fix something? No, you start at #1, and go up. When issues are fixed/enhancements added that number drops off the list.

I seriously doubt there are 824 bugs/defects, or 5491 bug/defects/enhancements still on the list.

When I bought my 6500, we were on version 1.6 or so. The radio did everything I wanted it to do at that time, and did it well. The couple of bugs/defects it had were corrected in subsequent software releases.

I bought it for what it did, not what it might do. Any "might do" is gravy, imo.  
  • John-KC2QMA
    John-KC2QMA Member
    edited April 2018
    Official Response From Tim, W4TME:

"When a defect, a new feature or program change request is entered into our software development management system, it is issued a sequential number."
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Steven, I am having a good time with this as many others are reading this silly thread.
    You just changed everything around and eliminated all the things on the list because you don't think Smartlink and pop out panels are feature's. Most of us see them as features's. You said there has been 0 of them.

Anyways this is boring me,,wow you two sure have some built up anger issues.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.