Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR performance on $120 "Intel Stick" PC

Matt NQ6N
Matt NQ6N Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I had been trying to figure out a good low-end PC to set up in my remote location. I ordered an "Intel Stick CS125" PC which cost $120 (including shipping). It plugs right into a monitor via HDMI.  The price includes a Windows 10 license. It is about the size of a medium-sized chocolate bar. 

I plan to install it at the remote location the next time I go there, but last night I decided to try using it in the operating position for the 0300Z CWT contest.  I set up the VPN client, installed SmartSDR, installed N1MM+ Logger, plugged in some headphones, etc. 

It worked quite well.  I could tell that its tiny CPU was straining a bit now and then, particularly when I would try to reposition a window on the desktop (it's driving a 4K monitor). But it was more than adequate for all but the most serious contest operation, using the 6600 in full duplex mode remotely. After the contest I installed WSJT-X and tested out FT8 using the DAX audio over the VPN, which also worked flawlessly.  

I used the built-in wifi to connect to my LAN and then to my remote station's VPN (which I set up using Ria's superb SoftEther install script). 

Congrats to the Flex team for building software that is efficient and performant enough to be fully usable on such low-end hardware! That is quite an accomplishment.

Matt NQ6N

Comments

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    what one are you using?  STK1AW32SC?  I have one of these as well.  good for the basics.. I would not try and run too much on the ATOM.  but it is quite cool how well stuff does run..
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    That is pretty interesting. Might be good for some remote control stuff at my upcoming remote site in 9Y.
  • Matt NQ6N
    Matt NQ6N Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    The model number seems to be BOXSTK1AW32SC so I suspect it's the same one you have. I totally agree, it's pushing it a bit to use it the way I did, but I was amazed how smoothly it all worked. 
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I would see one of these being good for a softEther server, and perhaps integrate some rotor control or something.  but with the low cost of RasPi.. in particular  Pi3, they would be more **** for the buck.
  • Matt NQ6N
    Matt NQ6N Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I agree. My goal is mainly to free up the much more powerful Windows PC I have in the shack now for other purposes. It also provides a redundant way to log into the remote LAN if there is a problem with the VPN.   But now that I know how fast the stick is, I will seriously consider getting the latest model stick next time I need a new PC.

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I think I will take this one to the office today and see what I can do with it..  you have peaked my interest.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    For Softether, linux definitely rules. Easier to automate deployments than Windows. But this might be good for running DDUtil, PSTRotatorAZ, WSJT-X etc.
  • roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited March 2018
    I have had one of these for a couple of years.  It runs my 6700 very well.  I run a couple of panadapters with a couple of slices.  I have a usb hub plugged in running ethernet adapter with flexknob and a logitect mouse and keyboard.  At the same time I run logging program, fldigi and surf internet (qrz.com, etc.)All work well.

roger 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.