Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New Flex radios at Dayton this year

2»

Comments

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    It’s not 2kw
  • N8FNR
    N8FNR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    The post that I was replying to was talking about a 600w amp that he would like Flex to sell.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I know the KP500 is there, but if Flex made a smaller amp I would buy that over an KP500,  Zack when I suggested a small Flex amp, I considered there were others around as well.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    What does the KPA500 not do that you need. I use DDUTIL and it tracks the bands. You can also preset the power with DDUTIL.
    Sometimes you want the ability  to not to have to use DDUtil. Controlling DDUtil is also kind of hard when you're on a smartphone. Compare that to the PGXL experience on iOS. I have an "amp" panel where I can turn the amp on/off and monitor SWR, power, temp from in one window. 
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    My understanding is that the PG tuner will be able to be located at the base of the tower. Some other huge features and like Ria pointed out you won't have to use DDUtil. Haven't researched the Elecraft amp enough to comment any further.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    While it is true you can use almost any amp on the Flex, there is no getting away from the fact that having a Flex amp made for a Flex radio has many advantages you won't have with anything else.
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Could you expand on that?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    As I think of it, maybe there are no reasons to buy a Flex amp, perhaps others that know the amp better then I could chime in.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Yes, Bill, .... a "PGXL Jr."  ... same integration and ease of interface, but with half the power.  That would interest a lot of people.  I would LOVE a PGXL but I would need to take a loan against my car to do it at the moment !
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2018
    Like . . .
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    "Power Genius Mini"

1KW out (single LDMOS). No SO2R, but all of the other goodies - MEffA, ethernet, etc.

Light like the SPE 1.3K-FA for travel.

That would interest some people.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have a KPA500 (currently sitting on the floor), a 2Kfa  and a PGXL in test.  Here are some thoughts (or reasons to buy)  the Flex PGXL

1. Its a natural fit for the flex 6600-6700.  it fully supports the same SO2R functions, in one box.  Rather than 2 transceivers and 2 amplifiers, one of each does the job, and very well.  It fully tracks band and mode data for 2 slices simultaneously, and is instantly ready for use.  

2.  Full power -  the 2kfa peels back power to mid level at RTTY/keydown duty cycle.  this includes FT8.  the PGXL handles these modes as full power, no problem.

3. Cable reduction and simplification.  The PGXL only requires a lan cable on the same network to interface with a flex 6000 series radio.  this includes keying the amp and band mode tracking.  This significantly reduces the cabling needed for the KPA500 and E2KFA.

4. lightweight full power.  Its weight is similar to a KPA500, but it puts out full legal limit.

I have basically fully retired my KPA500 and relpaced it with the PGXL.  it is now my backup amp.  If I want lower power I reduce the drive.    Any low power flex/4o3a amp would have the most value if it supported the same dual band so2r functions IMO.  Im not sure a lower power would be significantly cheaper for that reason.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Not to mention all the future echo system features that would leave all other amps out of the picture.
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    What is echo?  Sorry new to some of this.
    Peter
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Sorry, it is the Flex system connectivity. Ecosystem...
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Peter - keep your eyes on the newsletters for the latest updates. 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    eco-system = ecosystem (from ecology system) = the total environment in which a lifeform lives.

I think echo was a typo....

Technology designers are now drawing from biological terms to describe the complex interactions between parts of their engineering systems.

They are also using theological terms to describe marketing systems - e.g. someone may be a technology "evangelist" - i.e. someone whose job it is to help other people understand and adopt the new technology.  

It is kind of interesting how the different disciplines are adopting each other's terminology.  It reminds us of how interconnected everything actually is...

====end of sermon =====  LOL

Ken - NM9P
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I signed up for them and never get them. 
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I did chuckle Ken well done.  As a retired physician I appreciate that!

• KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Would love a PGXL Jr/Mini.  600 to  1 kw.  My budget can't take the price of the current one.  
  • Roland
    Roland Member
    edited April 2018
    I would vote for a 2 meter transverter!

• Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018

With every new hardware invention the software looks more and more underfunded and unloved. The Flex 63/6500 is now obsolete hardware yet the software hasn't come close to maturity yet.

I like Flex The company, I love Flex The hardware, However, The software leaves me cold.

So much more can be done to make it sing from the rooftops, and in doing so it would beat the best at pretty much everything we could ask of it. Let's hope SSDR doesn't become the achilles heel of Flex.

• Tony WV2C
    Tony WV2C Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    How great would that be!
  • KF3F
    KF3F Member
    edited April 2018
    Agreed. That would be awesome.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    It is going to be the new Flex X
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I am surprised with the FRS 2M talk.  I went looking for an antenna direct SDR replacement for our repeater with no success.  A (good, low noise) FM repeater would be nice but there doesn't appear to be a large market.
    Here's hoping.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.