Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

usb 2.0 and firewire adpter with Flex 3000 fast enough?

Pat Hamp
Pat Hamp Member ✭✭
I am looking at purchasing a 3000 as a step up from the 1500. Older posts say the USB to Firewire adapter is too slow. But that was back in the day of USB 1.0.  2.0 is far faster and I am wondering if with the increased speed of 2.0 the USB to Fire wire adapter would work? Its difficult find a PC with it and requires an older laptop or desktop with an internal adapter. I have Lenovo M72 mini I really like and don't want to change it out. I am not averse to buying a USB 3.0 machine if that would work too. Advice, suggestions?

Thanks, PAT de KA4VNM

Answers

• Rodney Ashcraft
    Rodney Ashcraft Member
    edited June 2018
    I’ve not seen a solution yet after searching for years.. I was thinking about getting a 1500 myself and selling my 3000. I have a FireWire Card with it. Let me know if you are interested. KK4DID rodneyashcraft@gmail.com
  • Rodney Ashcraft
    Rodney Ashcraft Member
    edited March 2018
    I hope you find a solution. It would be nice for the 3000 owners.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    If you have a slot, best to just install a firewire card....
    I don't know the specs,,but the USB needs to handle the same amount of data the firewire can.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Pat, use a firewire card. All else won't work properly. Read this helpdesk article: https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/206605796-Selecting-High-Performance-Firewire-Cards... 
    Another nice solution is a notebook with integrated firewire port. I use them for EMCOMM. Both my Panasonic Toughbook CF-52 and my GETAC S400 firewire ports are fast enough.
    Alex - DH2ID
  • Marty VK2VCC
    Marty VK2VCC Member
    edited May 2019
    Pat... Without reading the above. I have a 3000 and use a usb to firewire adaptor (externally) like a dongle setup. It connects it works and i have had seamless 3000 to pc to Log4om and vacs etc. Checkout the adaptors on ebay. Originally i had a mini firewire card on a pc tower setup. You wont have issues. My 3000 is 5yrs old now.. still goes strong. Vk2gib Marty
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Marty, that's interesting. Can you give us the model brand and version of the fw to usb adapter? Do you use it with USB 3.0? Most of these adapters won't work at all. Alex - DH2ID
  • Pat Hamp
    Pat Hamp Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Awesome now I don't feel apprehensive about buying the 3000 I am looking at.

Pat.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I hope it works for you. This is the reason they could not use USB as is on the 1500. The Fex 3000 has much more data to transfer then the 1500 does. So fire wire is used on the 3000 for that reason.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2018
    There isn't an alternative solution to using the FLEX-5000 and FLEX-3000 with a non-native Firewire interface.  It will just not work if the 1394 bus is being emulated by a different physical interface.  It will also not work if the FIrewire interface is not 100% IEEE 1394 compliant too.  The only thing I have heard might work is a Thunderbolt interface with the Firewire connector.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member
    edited March 2018
    I am also VERY interested in what exactly your "like a dongle" setup is. Is it a PCIe expansion box/chassis or something else?
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Yep, Me too, how about some details?

#Flexradio

73, Jay / NO5J

• Pat Hamp
    Pat Hamp Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I think I am going to keep the 1500 and use it to replace my DX-394 in my home office. That way I can use it as an SWL receiver and be able to also track the bands so I can catch some DX while working. If that doesn't work out then I will be in touch. Its really a fun box. I have a FT-817 for QRP work so it would be excess at that point.
  • Pat Hamp
    Pat Hamp Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Actually the real reason was that I have one of the Lenovo micro PC's in the shack which takes up no space at all. Any PC that has a PCIe or other PCI slot is bigger. But now that I read all these responses I guess I will go buy a refurb from MicroCenter and put a fireware card in it and be done with it. The fact I won the auction at $700 for the 3000 gives me some head room. Plus I have an FTDX1200 to unload that will more than cover the expense and nice new big monitor so I can run two screens. That will give the FTDX-3000 and the Flex which should give me pretty nice contesters shack when you toss in the NRD 515 I have. Thanks to all for your guidance. Pat
  • Pat Hamp
    Pat Hamp Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Good news. I purchased a real nice refurbished Dell Optiplex I-5 and a Firewire card for it. Loaded up PowerSDR latest and off she went almost completely plug and play! Been having fun with contester's today and getting used to the differences between the 3000 and 1500. Now all I have to do is repair the BNC that got damaged in transit. Found the part assume I can just unscrew the components from the heat sink and the board screws then reinstall with new heat sink grease. Its operable now after some fine "tuning " of the damaged connector with a jewelers pliers. A piece is broken off the cylinder of the connector but I managed to get the adapter to SO-239 on it for now. The only thing that caught by surprise is the need for a powered speaker which the 1500 didn't need. Had a spare powered monitor speaker which will work for now. This is a really fine radio, I can't image how good the new ones are. Thanks all for the advice!

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Has been a while since I looked in my Flex 3000. I don't think the connector is directly on the heat sink. I believe the connectors are soldered to the board right behind the back plate.
    Glad you did get another computer, you should have very few problems going foreword.
  • Pat Hamp
    Pat Hamp Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    The board the connector is on the board which has components tied to the heat sink with what appear to be screws to bind them to it. Looks to be a couple of voltage regulators and the finals.

Pat

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.