Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Recommended way to shutdown.

Wayne
Wayne Member ✭✭
edited April 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have sucessfully connected ssdr from my computer over my lan (no internet) to the 6400M.I cannot find a smooth way to shut it down when im done. I have tried disconnecting user from the 6400M panel I have tried pressing file and exit on ssdr computer screen among others and i always have to unacceptably stop dax sdr etc.So is there even a smooth way to disconnect and shutdown your computer when your done using smartsdr for windows for the day? Frustrated ... nothing in the manuals i found either.

Answers

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Why not just leave DAX and CAT running? That’s what I do and it has never posed a problem.
  • Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Take a look at WebRelay. I use one. You can see details at controlbyweb.com/webrelay HTH
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2018
    It is really simple.  If you are connecting to the 6400M with SmartSDR for Windows, just shut down the application.  Then shut down the radio by pressing and releasing the power button.

If you are using the front console on the radio, then shut down the radio by pressing and releasing the power button.

If the radio is shut down, then the connection to CAT and DAX is in a disconnected state and will reconnect to the radio once it is powered back up.  You can choose to either keep DAX and CAT running on your desktop or not.  It really doesn't matter.  The will connect to the radio once it is powered up and the radio is communicating over the network.

And both DAX and CAT will close cleanly when you shut down the PC.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

Thanks Tim but what if I shut down the radio and it disconnects then the next time when I start the 6400M I do it in standalone mode without the computer on, will it come up directly into a panadapter and receiver slice on the radio screen?

The reason I'm asking is I have now documented 4 startup procedures based on whether I am running standalone, standalone with hdmi monitor cloning flex display, standalone with Dax and Cat connected from the computer and not the smartsdr for windows GUI, and the last one  smartsdr for windows running the GUI with DAX and CAT controlling the 6400M over the LAN (no internet).

Maybe I am making it too complicated but I am so trying not to mess up my setups and the way I operate and just trying to totally understand it all.

The separate Global profiles for standalone and smartsdr for windows have really made it easy to go from stand alone to computer controlled and back again and still maintain the look/feel of each platform being able to restore settings for each just by loading a Global profile once the startup had completed.

I know I should not be so picky but I like to keep organized and when I do stuff I like to understand why I'm doing it and what I am causing to happen and not do it just cause someone says do it this way.

Thanks for your patience :-)

• Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Tim but what if I shut down the radio and it disconnects then the next time when I start the 6400M I do it in standalone mode without the computer on, will it come up directly into a panadapter and receiver slice on the radio screen?

No, it will not come up automatically - you will have to select the version of SmartSDR you want to run in standalone mode because the operating state of the radio changed between the first session (using SSDR-Win) and the second session, using the radio console.

I think you are making it overly complicated.  Just shut down the applications and the radio and then when restarting, start the radio first and then select the GUI client (SSDR-Win or the front console in standalone mode).  If the radio boots up to a panadapter screen automatically and you want to use SSDR-Win, just start it, select the radio and chose to log off the other user.

Then select your global profile to set your preferred operating state.

For CAT and DAX, I never manually close them ever.

The shutdown order really shouldn't matter one way or another.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Its just so convienent now mine always starts stand alone to the panadapter and slice and still does as long as i follow my startup procedures and never shutdown the 6400m while its connected to smartsdr. I will select the best way and use your info to help so i can retain my direct startup in stand alone mode. Thanks for helping. Can you do fldigi with just cat and dax connected and not the gui for smartsdr for windows?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2018
    You need a GUI app to create the panadapter/slice recource, but after that, you can operate the radio completely from the digital mode app if its CAT interface supports all of the options you need, like changing bands, modes, and filters.  Fldigi using RigCat will allow for this.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks got it.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Do as Tim says, your making the shutdown procedure more complicated than it really is.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.