Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX and CAT with 6600M

Neil D Friedman N3DF
Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
I have puzzled through the manuals and still don't understand use of DAX  and CAT with my 6600M (first Flex radio and first SDR).  (1).  Do I need to open them on both the radio and PC in order to use digital mode software on my PC?  (2).  My 6600M connects by ethernet cable directly to my router.  The PC connects wirelessly to the LAN.  Is this sufficient, or does the PC also have to connect by cable to the router?  Thank you for any help and advice.

Answers

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Dax and Cat run only on your PC and are there to allow audio channels and various Comm Port functions on the PC. You do need to assign relevant Dax channel IDs in SmartSDR . As long as your WiFi is using the same subnet I’d as that assigned to the radio (ie, it is considered local) , all will be great!
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Also but sure you have DAX turned on in the radio. Push your PWR/MIC knob on the face of the radio to get into this menu. If it isn't highlighted toggle it on.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just think of DAX and CAT as traditional cables. That is really what they are except they are just virtual.  They are just more powerful and you can have a LOT of them.
  • NA7AA Tom
    NA7AA Tom Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Neil. Tried to email you. The one on QRZ kicked it back. Tom NA7AA
  • John Kludt
    John Kludt Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Tom,

The answers you have gotten may have already solved your quandary.  All that connects you 6600M and your computer is your LAN.  Wired or WiFi as long as it is the same network it does not matter.  Let's assume you are using WSJT-X.

I connect to WSJT-x using a TCP port.  You create that if it does not already exist on SmartCAT.  Note the port number as you will need it on WSJT-X .You will also need SmartDAX up and running on on you computer along with WSJT-X.

On WSJT-X you would select in the netwrok server tab the TCP port (localhost:port number) you just found(created) on SmartCAT.   On the audio tab the Input is DAX Audio RX  1 ( or whichever one between 1 anf 4 you have chosen).  Output is DAX Audio TX.  If the creation of the TCP port is confusing refer to the SmartSDR CAT Software Users Guide - yes, another manual worth having on hand.

On the Flex side on the main panel that comes up for band selction , etc. make sure you have turned on the same DAX channel using th drop down as the one you enter on WSJT-X . This turns on DAX for receive.   While you are on that screen you may want to set the receive bandwidth to 4.0K. .  As already noted by pushing on the Mic/Power knob you want to select DAX.  This turns it on for transmit. While there you may also want to turn off the speech processor (PROC) and turn on the monitor (MON) and set the monitor volume with the slider.  Depending on your situation you may also want to set broader Low and High limits for the Tx Filter.  Using the Profiles capabilities of the system you can save all of this so it is easy to get back to after you have run SSB or CW.  Different subject for another day.

I don't mean this to be a long discussion of the optimal setup for a Flex 6xxx with WSJT-X .  You can find that elsewhere.  The point is that using SmartDAX and SmartCAT setting up soundcard application is a snap.  It takes longer to type it out than to do it.  In addition to WSJT-X I run UISS for ISS packet (down right now) and terrestrial packet, MMSTV for slow scan television, FoxTerm for AO-85/91/92 data and Funcube Dashboard for AO-73 data,   All of these are soundcard apps.
    And all that connects my Maestro, 6600 and the PC that runs all of the souncard apps, SmartDAX and SmartCAT is my local LAN.

Hope that helps,

John
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Not to mention much less chance of RF problems in the shack from rig to pc interface boxes and cables.!
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Do you mean those ferrites I put on my DAX cables were a waste?
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    It's better to Ferrite's on you cables than Ferret's ;)

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Yes, Radiofrequencisferrrite, a very clever self adjusting attenuation species......
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    There is also some you tube videos that step by step tell you what settings to make to setup dax and cat.
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thank you all for your guidance.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.