Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PW-1 again

Michael Coslo
Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
I have the opportunity to purchase a PW-1 for a really good price. Searching the archives, I find that yes it will work, and no it won't.  I'll be using N1MM my 6300, probably the Arduino store and forward board used to avoid CI-V collisions between amp and computer, if needed.

Does anyone have a more definitive answer than yes and no? And if you do, could you share the secret sauce?

Answers

• Rick Ciotti W3DIY
    Rick Ciotti W3DIY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I am using DX Labs which controlled a PW1 as a second radio. This fixed the CIV collisions experienced with HR Deluxe. Sorry don't know if N1MM has that capability.
    BTW I ditched the PW1. Had 2 issues which required parts. ICOM service MI waited 3 months for a simple combiner board that fried. Also PS failures are becoming more frequent with the earlier builds. No parts available for component level repairs but they will gladly sell you a replacement PS for $2K. W3DIY
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Been years since I had a PW-1. I used DDUtil to interface to it. I wrote the instructions on the DDUtil WiKi. Take a look here http://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.php?title=How_To#Setup_a_ICOM_IC-PW1_Linear_Amplifier I probably have more documentation. Will check and post back shortly. Dave wo2x
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited January 2018
    I have a pdf I wrote for interfacing the PW-1 to the Flex 5000 using DDUtil. I am willing to update it for the 6300 if you want to try it out. Email me direct, my call @arrl.net and I will send it. It requires a serial to CI-v interface, such as the one W2ENY sells. Dave wo2x
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Will do, Dave, and Thanks!

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I've finally freed up some time from the Party, and am starting on the 6300 to PW-1 interfacing. Working between radios and Software and the amp is proceeding okay, but I do have a question. 

On page one of the pdf  it notes that you want to, on the ACCY1 use pin 2 as gnd, and pin 7 as +13.8. It notes that you use the "FlexWire" connector on the radio (5000?)

I've looked at the Pinouts of the Flexwire, and is it the case that I can simply provide the voltage to the ACCY1 connections? 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited March 2018
    Yes you should be able to supply 13.8 volts to the amp. Use a 1 amp fuse in series with positive lead. Dave wo2x
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Got it. I'm just about ready to try it out - will report back in when I succeed or fail.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited March 2018
    Ok. The 13.8 volts tells the amp that input port is in use. Dave wo2x
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Okay, I have the 240 volts run, the amplifier powered up, and the DIN cable set correctly for telling the amp what port is what. Next, I'm assuming that VSP_Manager is still needed to send the same commands to both the radio and the USB to serial port? 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited March 2018
    Follow the instructions. http://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.php?title=How_To#Setup_a_ICOM_IC-PW1_Linear_Amplifier You only need a com port on the PC to a CI-V adapter. That connects to the CI-V port on the amp. Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.