Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

9 days since Delivery... observations 6400M How sweet it is.

Stephen Hawkins NG0G
Stephen Hawkins NG0G Member ✭✭
Amazing radio.  I am hearing and working stuff I would not have heard before.  When calling a DX station operating split, listening up1 or 2 with a huge pileup, DX left ear, pileup right ear.  Unlike my old radio my left ear is completely unaware of the pileup.  No clicking, no thumping.    How sweet it is.  And Profiles are your friend.

Comments

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hi Stephen,

For those dx pileups with splits here is how I tackle them and I could not imagine using a non SDR for this:

I expand the pan way out so my full monitor is showing the dx and all of the split pile up signals.  When expanded like this you can watch the dx transmit then you can see who answers.  You will see their signal.  

I use two slices.  Slice A is on the receive of the DX.  Slice B is TX and is muted.  

I watch a couple of QSOs and generally I will see that the DX is tuning either up or down.  So then I wait for the next QSO and watch the answer, I think click slice B to be a little above the pile up responder.

I then send my call on the next split.  Sometimes it take a couple tries but this technique seems to work quite well.  Several times now I've gotten a call right back and I have only a 280 foot loop and an amp.
  • Stephen Hawkins NG0G
    edited March 2018
    Years of following the DX around in pileups without an SDR or band scope burned an assembly language subroutine in the neurons between my hand and my right ear.  That is one of the many reasons I wanted a radio with knobs.   8-)  Also just looking at the band scope can fool you as there are those in the pileups who never stop calling, or call anyway despite who the DX station is coming back to.  The only way for me to tell who is who is with my ear.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    If you're a CW op, now try it with CW Skimmer and Slice Master!  It only gets better.
  • Stephen Hawkins NG0G
    edited June 2020
    These look like Windows programs?  Are they?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited March 2018
    Yes, they run in Windows OS. 

Dave wo2x
  • Elliot Skultin
    Elliot Skultin Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Posted this in another thread but it’s worth shouting from the treetops. The other night 20 Meters was completely dead. So much so, that I checked my antenna switch to be safe. I was just about to switch to 40 when a very faint signal trail appeared in the Panadapter. With a quick touch I was on it. I bumped my preamp to half way, then I copied her easy as pie. It was “Mee” from Japan broadcasting with 200watts. We QSOd for about 15 minutes until she ran out of English things to say, so we said good night and I couldn’t stop smiling. The band was still dead as a doornail and I listened to her QRZ and CQs with no other answers. That clinched it for me! Love my 6400M!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.