Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What do you like about Version 2 over Version 1

K5ROX
K5ROX Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
General 

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I compared both side by side.

What I like:
    Smartlink - it's not perfect, but it's there and it's not complicated to use. Great for guest access.
    Visual enhancements - panadapter fills, pop out windows, etc
    Spectrum display support in N1MM+
    Some other improvements we are testing for the next version that I can't talk about yet (yes, it's GOOD stuff that you all will get to enjoy soon). 

Also it supports a great company and helps them produce and improve on a great radio platform. 100% made in USA in Austin, TX. 
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Version 1 basically has the same functionality as Version 2. Version 2 allows you to operate your radio over a WAN where in version 1 you can only operate your radio on a LAN. However if you know how to set up a VPN, you can also operate version 1 over a WAN.

Jim, K6QE

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    It has most of the core functions but there are a few things unique to version 2 such as the N1MM+ spectrum display support. 
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I asked for squelch from Santa ..... I don't believe in santa anymore.
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    saw somewhere that v2 has a voltmeter, to easy to do and I think well overdue, True???
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    If you're not into contesting or remote operation you won't be missing much with V1.xx.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I use K9DUR’s SDRmonitor. Give it a try. It’s actually quite nice.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Please keep in mind that V2 is not finished.  I would guess that several significant features are still to be added.  The need to get the 6400/6600/M radios supported has consumed a lot of time, but that's behind us now, and Dayton is coming, so expect some surprises.  There's no need to upgrade to V2 as long as it doesn't appeal to you, but when it does, it will be ready.
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    yes ive got all the third party stuff however squelch and volt meter is so basic... why have to run 5 different programs and fit them somewhere on the screen
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    They do not need to on top, they can run under the SSDR screen out of site.
  • James Whiteway
    edited March 2018
    With v2, I can run two monitors and put those 3rd party programs on them. Or, (in SSDR) I can move up to 3 of my panadapters to the second monitor. More choices now. Other than the basic features (yes, I consider an All Mode Squelch a Basic feature....PSDR had it and it worked fine) I like the uncluttered look of SSDR better than the PSDR interface. Just my .02 James WD5GWY
  • James Whiteway
    edited March 2018
    With v2, I can run two monitors and put those 3rd party programs on them. Or, (in SSDR) I can move up to 3 of my panadapters to the second monitor. More choices now. Other than the basic features (yes, I consider an All Mode Squelch a Basic feature....PSDR had it and it worked fine) I like the uncluttered look of SSDR better than the PSDR interface. Just my .02 James WD5GWY
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Snap out panels are awesome. But it is about the only improvement over version 1 that I have found useful. Meters are easier to read too. Rich
  • Brad A. Steffler
    Brad A. Steffler Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Yup, Ria. Flex is a great company and they have spoiled us to expect so much more. Made in the USA is great. The fact that Flex is in Texas is just icing on the cake!

Oh, did I mention that I am a native Texan? My native Illnois wife who was raised in New Jersey forgives me.

Brad
    KE4XJ
  • Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I like the remote feature and it is why I upgraded. It is simple and it works. The other features are nice, but the remote feature was my reason for updating. Also, I figure it helps support continued updates.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    For me:

1) Remote.  I'm not Howard but I do like to run CW remote a lot and it works extremely well.  Yes I can do the same with VPN but it is just simple to run SmartSDR on my office computer, put on the headset and run some CW.

2) Pop out windows.  I do like being able to pop some stuff out.  In particular the CWX window.  When oping remote CW sometimes its on a smaller screen so having the ability to pop out the CWX window is nice.

3) Filled signals on pan.  This to me makes great sense.  I just wish it was done in SmartSDR like it is in iOS Smart SDR where the colors are heat mapped so the stronger the signal the more red it gets.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.