Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PowerGenius Shipping Update

Richard
Richard Member ✭✭
edited August 2020 in Power Genius XL Amplifier
It has been basically a month since the Orlando Hamfest and over a year since I put down $1000 Cash on the PowerGenius XL Amplifier.  There was an update Released about 3 weeks ago that echo what SDR told me during the Hamfest.  I am assuming the Beta Units have been Reworked and Returned to the Beta Testers.  Is there any update as to the Testing and then of course an update to the Ship Date?  I guess it is time to send out yet another update. 

Answers

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Patience will be rewarded. The test team is “hard testing” and 4o3a/FRSvdoing their awesome stuff. FRS usually does a couple informational community posts and a communique before a product goes GA. Test Team, FRS and partner participants have learned long ago to not fuel speculation speculating or even dropping hints not supportive of FRS announcement plans. Watch this space (FRS community) of course! 73 Steve K9ZW
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    A friend that attended the last HamCation event was told by someone manning the Flex booth that the PG-XL is expected to start shipping in August 2018, although I take that as a rough estimate.
  • DrJ
    DrJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    August 2018 as an initial “rough estimate” is a wholesale large difference from the order webpage on Flex stating expected to ship February 2018! I own every piece of high end Flexradio has sold in the past few years and am truly blessed that I can do that. But to entice preorders of $1,000 and for anyone to wait that long with repeated extensions of ship dates is not right. Not to mention , not a very good marketing maneuver from a general business perspective. I obviously have no power or influence this process and want everything to be working when I get it, but those hundreds of thousands of dollars, even at just a few percent interest Flex is earning does add up to a lot of money they are making merely from having that capital in their accounts. Just a fact. Please keep your loyal fan base and customers informed!!
  • Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Steve... I appreciate you holding the company line.   Are you a Tester?  If so, do you presently have a Reworked Amp in you possession?  If you do.... How is the Reworked Unit performing?  I appreciate your update.
  • Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    kjave63....  Sound like you and I have the same feelings.   If this isn't the same process that Alpha tried, I don't know.......  It is sure Scary for sure.  I too am a strong Flex Supporter and think the products are the best on the market but there are other Amps I.E. SPE and now KPA-1500 that certainly meet 90% of the Ham Radio Operator's needs.   August 2018???  You have to be kidding?????  Time to think "I want my money back!"
  • Bernie W7DMC
    Bernie W7DMC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I too would like to have gotten mine yesterday. But when I get it I want it to be as close to bugless as possible. And the interest on my 1k is much less than the cost of the tuner, which I will get for $0.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    While the Power Genius can do everything without effort, it may be to much amp for the average ham.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Grasshopper, Chinese Proverb, have patience my son and you be rewarded when it is ready !
    Rather have a superior product, so if it takes longer than expected, so be it !

73 Mike

• HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018

Yes, Steve is a tester and is helping to make our amps as bug-free as possible before they ship.  Check out his interesting web site!

https://k9zw.wordpress.com

Howard
  • DrJ
    DrJ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Bill, I am a fanboy of Flex too , but NO, the Powergenius will not do EVERYTHING better (even in context to some of the other amps you listed) , and it won’t do everything without effort either. It will have two excellent MOSFET units, and work great with the Flexline, and lastly it isn’t too much for the average ham. In fact , I would bet money, the owners of Flexradio would not want that as a tag line for their new line of amps! (A bit too “elitist”) Thanks for sharing !
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I did not mention any other amps in my comment. The Power genius will key down at full power on full duty cycle for hours at at time. This is important if you work digital a lot. for those that rag chew almost all the time, yes this is more amp then anyone would need. And I am not writing a tag line for Flex to be clear.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Here's a thought:

Why doesn't Flex toss all the names of ops that had to return new rigs due to bugs into a hat and pull 5  or 10 out and give them each a nice new shiny Power Genius for their troubles?

I have no dog in this fight so it doesn't matter to me but it sure would go a long way in pleasing the masses.  :)

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Can you name a company that does that?
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Yes, my cable  company gives free service sometimes when reception is poor or there are other problems.  It's good publicity and good customer service that goes a long way to improving the situation
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    These are new products. The PG XL is a new partnership with 4O3A signature. There are some teething pains. I have had the amplifier since November or so, and there were some issues that Flex and 4O3A had to address. They have resources on site from 4O3A to help them sort through the issues. They also brought back Graham, KE9H who is one of the best in the business, and who has very deep knowledge of LDMOS amplifiers. He is managing the process. 

The rework items are items critical to performance, FCC compliance and protection. I have been doing a lot of hard testing of the amp on a daily basis, running high duty cycle digital and contests on all amateur bands. When I get mine back after the rework I'll go through this cycle again.  

So yes, it's a bit disappointing but in the end it will be worth it. I have been without mine while they do the rework so I feel the pain as well. The amplifier is the best I have owned and used by a mile, so I am sure it will be worth it. 
  • Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Howard....  The second part of my question/s/ does not seem to be answered.   The Test Amps were to be reworked or started to be reworked just before the Orlando Hamfest.   Have they been returned to the testers for the 2nd phase of Testing to confirm that all the issues that were identified in the Beta Test have been addressed?  From the nice article I am not sure if these units shown are the initial units to be tested or post rework.  Can yo enlighten all of us waiting?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    We can't disclose exact details. FlexRadio staff can if they so choose, but exact details are under NDA. 

Steve's article is the initial unit, not post rework, and was posted some time back. 
  • Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Ria.....  Thank you for answering what the group wants to hear.  Basically Issues were identified.  Actions are in place but NO the units have not been returned to the testers.  As it is a month beyond the start of the Rework Process and you still have not received your reworked unit I and others are probably looking at a Summertime Release of the first Production / Reworked Units.  

Co-locating the 4O3A Folks at Flex to address the issues is a great move.  Working in basically a Workday Cycle away makes Troubleshooting and Corrective Actions very difficult.  FYI... I worked with Graham in an other company and another time and do agree with you.  He is one of the best and one that will get a hold of the Design/Process/Action Items and drive them to a complete and great product.  Certainly sure that his involvement will shorten that time frame but still to us that have put out the Grand to reserve the Amps over a year ago it is a painful time.

Thanks
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you have ordered a PowerGenius and have signed up for the update emails, you should have an email in your inbox with an update from Gerald.  Just came out about 30 minutes ago.
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    edited March 2018
    Burch, I don't see it in my inbox yet.  Could you post it?

Thanks,
    howard
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I ran both ARRL DX contests barefoot. I feel your pain. Cost me a 4 in 4 award from my club (compete in 4 contests, make 1m points in each). That said it’s worth it, and I can’t wait until I get it back. I made it clear that I wanted a good rework not just a hurried one. That said Flex is doing everything they can, and have been very responsive to Alpha team concerns. Just a little more.
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    edited March 2018
    Just got Gerald's update.  Very encouraging news!

Howard
  • Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE
    Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018

This is the body of Gerald's email.

Dear Valued Customer,

In my last Power Genius XL update on February 16, 2018, we communicated that we had begun the process of upgrading all field test units.  During the upgrade and stress test process, we discovered a new issue we felt needed to be resolved before completing the modifications. As of today, we have resolved the last known issue and are installing the final modifications for shipment back to the test team.  Field test team members will begin receiving their upgraded units next week.

We plan to allow the test team two weeks to validate the modifications in on air testing including CQ WPX on March 24-26.  Assuming the feedback is good, we are ready to release the balance of the first production run for shipment. Once we have completed this final test phase we will communicate our plan for delivery of the current order backlog.

Our major objective during this phase has been to make sure that your new Power Genius XL provides rugged legal limit power on all modes without backoff.  This goal has been achieved and we know you will be pleased with your purchase.

We will be in touch after we complete this final test phase.  Thank you so much for your continued patience.

73, Gerald  K5SDR

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    There you go. Straight from Flex. 

Like I said - they are on it.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Question, are you also testing the Tuner Genious also? That device also needs the same level of testing. One would not like to have problems with a tuner that was not vetted properly. Pat
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Sounds promising Ria, and I look forward to hearing more from you on the so2r workflow in due course. As an owner of a 4o3a 2x8 so2r antenna switch I am interested in how the new amp interfaces with both the radio and the antenna switches. Hope the documentation will be available ahead of the public release shipping, as it will help the contesters among us get our heads around the so2r workflow. The 4o3a triplexer and bandpass filters are well tested and proven products, and so the amp plus good auto integration between them and ssdr should be a big step forward for so2r contesting. Ideally the uk dealer should be setting up a 6600 and the amp, triplexer and filters up in the showroom so that it will be possible to demo the whole set up for so2r. Enjoy the second phase of testing when you get it back and possibly see you in wpx contest 73 Steve gw0gei / gw9j
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018

Steve

I have the 8x2 AG, triplexer and filters from Ranko. Like Ria I beta tested the PGXL (with a 6700) and I can say it worked seamlessly with the AG with no hiccups.

Tim VE6SH (and G4HUA)

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hi Steve...  hopefully we can work you in the contest using my 6600/PGXL combo remotely.     You using GW0J?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I’ll be testing the tuner genius as well. Primarily on low bands. Ria N2RJ
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Sounds very promising. I hope to be active in wpx but possibly only single band 20m from a friend's large antenna station and using my contest call gw9j. I was qrp on 80m in arrl dx cw with 5w from my Anan 7000 at home, just experimenting , but if I am at host station in wpx it will be qro into a large optibeam yagi. Taking a break from serious contesting this year whilst we are selling our current bottom of valley qth - so time to plan the future so2r station.. 73 Steve gw0gei / gw9j

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.