Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR auto connect to radio

Given that I only have one Flex radio on the network why doesn't SmartSDR (it's supposed to be smart, right) just connect to that radio when launched?  It just polled the network and knows there is only one choice.

Warren
KC0GU

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I fully agree! I am just worn to frazzles at the end of the day having to make that extra mouse click. What is coming to this hobby?
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    SmartSDR is indeed smart enough to not only be used as your radio client, but can also connect to SmartLink enabled systems you have access to, as well as additional radios on your network.  I suppose a feature request case could be made for an option that could be enabled to auto-connect to the last known client...  but there is a very real use case for radio connect via the chooser.

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Ok, so I've just fired up my Flex. It's still booting up when I launch SmartSDR (my computer is on 24/7 to keep the DXCluster spots coming in).

Then, to my dismay, I find that SmartSDR, equipped with the proposed "auto-connect" feature, has already connected to my buddy's radio which was already on and available via the Internet.

I have to use many more than 1 click to back out and reconnect to the proper radio.

If you replace the "auto-connect" feature in this scenario with a brain fade (and no reading glasses) on my part, this actually happened.

I clicked on the only radio available but it wasn't mine.

• Warren Gaspar
    Warren Gaspar Member
    edited March 2018
    Except I'm using V1.11.12 since I have no need for SmartLink
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    well version 1 is feature locked..  sooo.....  as they say, it is what it is.  the good news is if you get another flex in the future you will be able to use the same client with them both. :-).
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I was just explaining one reason why it is what it is.
    And I know of several shacks that have more than one radio locally,too.

My personal peeve that isn't going to be changed anytime soon: I don't have a 6700 so why do I have to have so many ^&*#@! many DAX devices added to my computer?

Just remind yourself that when the aging process really kicks in, the most flexible joints in your body will be in the index finger of your mousing hand from all that extra exercise.

• NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    On Maestro (I know, this is not what you asked), if there is one radio to choose from and if it is available on the net, and if no new versions of the software have been released, and if Maestro connected to it the last time it started, Maestro will directly connect to the radio without going through any of the screens.

The M Series radios do this as well, some of the time.  The fact that it isn't all of the time is being investigated.

SmartSDR running on a PC (can't say about other platforms) doesn't do this.  Having written millions of lines of software, I can speculate that it doesn't do that because the point of view taken by the developers may have been of a general radio client, not a client for a specific radio.  So, I think the answer may be, "it just doesn't".   That doesn't mean it can't and it doesn't mean it won't.

Sometimes what is needed is a sharply focused question like this to effect change.
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    If the radio is running before you start SmartSDR, you can use a script or batch file to append the radio's serial number (available on the Radio Setup dialog) like this:
        SmartSDR.exe --serial=4315-5017-6500-6123
    Of course, you will have to add the path to SmartSDR.exe to the beginning of this string. Then when you run this batch file to start SmartSDR, it will automatically connect to this radio.
    Note that it must be exactly this format : space, two hyphens, "serial=" and the serial number as copied from the Setup dialog.

Craig, KØCF

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    In thinking about it, I think you can actually add the serial number switch to the end of the path in a shortcut without having to use a batch file or script. (I use Windows scripts to start up SmartSDR and the various utilities that I use with it with only one click, so I was thinking along those lines on my first comment.)

Craig, KØCF

• Digital Ham
    Digital Ham Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Craig Thanks for a solution, I will implement it tomorrow. I wasn't sure if there was an initial file that could be used but this works. 73, Warren KC0GU

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.