Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Slice Master 6000 v0.9.18 supports DM780 and HRD TCP listeners

K1DBO
K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in New Ideas
It's not just for CW Skimmer anymore.  Since Slice Master 6000 was introduced a few weeks ago its functionality has grown along with it's support for and integration with other third party applications.  Here's the updated feature list:
  • Configures and launches CW Skimmer per slice automatically depending on mode
  • Colors CW Skimmer spots with N1MM Logger+ multipliers
  • Configures and launches GRITTY per slice automatically depending on mode
  • Aggregates CW Skimmer and GRITTY spots into a single telnet connection
  • Configures and launches DM780 per slice automatically depending on mode
  • Supports per slice and TX following HRD TCP client connections
  • Synchronizes slice and panadapter attributes between slices
  • Provides an audio mixer panel with solo, mute, and presets

The newly added HRD TCP listeners and support for DM780 might interest those who use Ham Radio Deluxe as their primary logger.  Unique (I think) to Slice Master is that it can provide HRD TCP listeners for each slice as well as one that follows the TX slice.  I'm using these new features as an excuse for starting starting this new thread with the hope of getting a few brave early adopters to try them out and tell me what's wrong (or right) with their favorite HRD Rig Control substitute. And besides, the old thread was getting long anyways (or so I've been told).

Slice Master 6000 v0.9.18 is now available at https://github.com/K1DBO/slice-master-6000 The easiest way for first time users to get up to speed would be to read the README file found there and follow the download instructions. 

Please note that Slice Master is still a work in progress.  I'll do my best to fix bugs as quickly as they are reported but I am also trying to round out the feature set.  I'm looking for feedback in both areas.

DM780 integration has some rough edges but it's off to a good start... better than I expected, really. 

Each slice can have it's own DM780 instance.  Prior to launch, the instance is configured with the correct sound device information and TCP connection back to Slice Master for a seamless start up.  An understanding of how DM780 manages "identities" is helpful but not required.  The user interface it provides is a bet quirky but effective once you get used to it.  Each new identity requires the window layout to be re-adjusted and the radio control layout to be configured.  But that only needs to be done once.  I've set up identities for both RTTY and PSK operation and can now summon DM780 in the selected configuration simply by switching to a slice to RTTY or DIGU mode.  You'll have to set up your own alternate identities or just use the default identity.

On the settings tab you'll find a new group to control the HRD TCP TX Listener.

As its name implies it's an HRD TCP listener that follows the TX slice, rather than sticking to just one.  This works well with an HRD Logbook when operating CW or phone while jumping around from one slice to another.  The Logbook always sees the Flex as tuned to the frequency you are currently ready to transmit on.  There's even a drop down menu available in the Logbook's radio pane that allows you to change TX focus to a different slice.

Hmmm... why does this quote: 
Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.  --Ian Malcolm
come to mind?  Let's hope Ian wasn't referring to Slice Master.

--Don

2 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Slice Master 6000 v0.9.18b is now available.  This version fixes a start up issues that happens on installations were HRD and DM780 have not been installed.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    No problems with Slice Master 6000 v0.9.18b anymore! :-)
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I started my testing this time with a clean HRD install... yada yada v0.9.18c has landed.

If the DM780 options are not showing up on the launch tab for you in v0.9.18b, give the latest a try.  The key points, if you want DM780 to work with Slice Master, is that HRD must be installed and DM780 has to have been run at least once outside of Slice Master.  If you already had a working DM780 install v0.9.18b might still have given you trouble.  It was expecting that you've used the multiple identity feature of DM780.  While it's not a requirement, having an identity or two configured solely for use by Slice Master is recommended.

• Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I hope to be able to contribute.
    I am a HRD user since the 1990's and still trying to learn how to master it.  "Hmm." You are preaching to the choir. 
    However, there is still hope. Here is a quote from Mike WA9PIE. "While much was accomplished in 2017. I recognize there is much left to do."
    Hopefully, this forum and those using HRD maybe be able to find ways to resolve the issues that are not being address by either of these Companies.
    Thank you and check HRD email "Brief Review of 2017"
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    HI Ernest, The best way to contribute is to is give Slice Master 6000 a try and then tell me what doesn't work as you expected. I am as interested in hearing about what folks think it should be able to do as I am hearing about things that simply don't work. It can do a lot already and the features can be combined in many ways and with many third party applications. I've tested the cluster aggregation server with a few clients, but I can't test it with all of them. Same goes for the HRD TCP servers. Do they work with the clients you use? Of course these are just a couple of the areas you or any else could explore. Slice Master is intended to provide the glue for seamlessly connecting third party applications to the Flex and to provide some user conveniences for getting the most out of those applications. Questions, comments or suggestions in that direction are welcome.
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Slice Master 6000 v0.9.19 is now available at https://github.com/K1DBO/slice-master-6000 . 

This release is mostly about bug fixes.  Some startup problems have been eliminated and many changes where made to the internals.  Please take a couple of minutes make sure your favorite features are still working as expected.  

So, what do you call a new release without at least one new feature?  Well, I didnt even want to think about that.  So, this time around the Mix tab grew a new control.  

Well, actually two, but you'll only see one of them at any given time.  The 'TX' control adds a fader for the monitor or sidetone output level.  It works pretty much like the other sliders but I didnt see any reason to allow it inclusion in the solo group.  And yes, the pan control does work for phone too.  

Following the same theme, there are some changes on the settings tab

You can chose to ignore the new addition to the mix tab if you like.  But for real fun, check out the last two options.  With these enabled, any changes made to the pan setting on the selected TX slice will also be made to the sidetone or monitor pan settings.  That's right, slide your slice's audio to the right and your sidetone will move to the right, right along with it.

When contesting, I usually run one slice panned hard left, and another panned hard right.  It's always bugged me that the sidetone came out the middle.  Changing the sidetone pan from SmartSDR can be useful, but since it doesnt follow the TX slice, you cant tell which slice you are transmitting on just by listening... until now that is.

Please keep the feedback and bug reports coming!

--Don
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Slice Master 6000 v0.9.20 is now available at https://github.com/K1DBO/slice-master-6000 

A new discussion topic has been started for this release.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.