Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

why is HRD connecting to the wrong slice

W2PP
W2PP Member ✭✭
I have HRD connecting to the radio, getting audio and so on.  However, I have several slices open and HRD connects to the "wrong" one.  I cannot get HRD to connect to the correct one for digital modes.  Instead HRD seems to grab the last slice opened regardless of which one is active or transmitting.  
Peter

Answers

• Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited March 2018
    What slice is the SmartCAT port your are connecting to ?  and what DAX do you have specified in the slice?
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Slice A and DAX 1
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I see a similar issue with using HRD logbook.  HRD logbook only recognizes slice A.  Highlighting say slice B and making it the active slice does not pass that info on to HRD logbook, it still thinks it on slice A.  Any insight on this? 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    These are all improvements that need to be done in HRD, Being able to use all the things that the flex can do.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

HRD said 9 months ago they were going to address and fix it . those messages were and still are on this community ... but just like the experience I have had with them when I was asking for information and trying to purchase their product it just didn't happen. Lots of talk of what the future will show but no action.

Maybe things have changed ... but this thread is indicating nothing has changed on their side of the fence.

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Slice Master 6000 has a very configurable HRD TCP server built into it.  HRD Logbook works great when pointed at Slice Master's 'HRD TCP TX Listener'.  It takes the place of HRD's Rig Control much like MiniDeluxe or the HRD server in DDUtil.  The big difference is that SM6k's TX listener will follow the TX slice.  When connected through Slice Master, to Logbook... the flex is just one big radio.  

For digimode programs that support the HRD TCP protocol, SM6k supports slice based listeners.  That's the more traditional implementation.  Connect to one of the slice based listeners and the digimode program will only have access to that one slice.

If your digimode program of choice happens to be DM780, it's even easier.  Simply switch a slice into DIGU mode and Slice Master 6000 will configure and launch DM780 to work with that slice.  Switch back to CW mode and DM780 will close only to be replaced by CW Skimmer.

• Joe Sartori
    Joe Sartori Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018

New Version of HRD was released Sunday....

Not sure if that was a fix included in this release..
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I have it it made no difference
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    My experience as well

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Peter, Your reply implies that either. SmartSDR CAT is not controlling the slice you think it is, or that Rig Control's TCP server is not running but some other HRD TCP server is running. HRD uses DM780 for digital modes. DM780 makes a TCP connection back to Rig Control to talk to the radio. Since, if I understand your question, you are using HRD Rig Control connected to a SmartSDR CAT port controlling slice A, that's the only slice HRD should be able to control. Are you running any other third party Flex related software?
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    OK, the issue isn't that HRD fails to control Slice A, it does just fine.  The issue is that if I change TX to say Slice B, HRD doesn't track along with me.  Otherwise HRD is doing its job.  No other software is attached.
    Peter

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Peter, Got it, thanks.. Folks who posted after you complained of that problem but when I re-read your question, I thought you might be having a different issue that wasn't being addressed. --Don
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Don:
        A bit off topic but, how do I get WSJT contacts into HRD automatically, or even at all?  I'm brand new to FT8 so apologies in advance.
    Peter

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I don't know that you can do it with WSJT automatically.  I use JTDX (a variant of WSJT-x) and JTDX Alert, a helper program.  The helper program logs to HRD automatically, shows you what stations you have already worked, keeps a history of call signs and provides a host of other features.
    Bob, WK2Y
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I am not sure if this is the official site but I see it at:
    https://github.com/K1DBO/slice-master-6000
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I dont think WSJT-X does it directly either, but WSJT-X does work closely with JTAlert and that knows how to work with a handful of logging program.  I believe HRD is one of them.
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Bob, and yes.  That's the official site.  There are a couple of lengthy discussions here that outline the capabilities but not a lot on use cases.  The way Slice Master addresses this particular HRD issue has not been discussed outside of my announcement of the feature.  But, I'm happy to answer questions.
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    My oh my that fixed it!!!  That program is fantastic.  I have four DM780 windows and 4 slices happily copying away.  Further, HRD now follows the active slice nicely very very helpful.  Thanks very much for the clue!
    Peter
    W2PP
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Peter,

I'm happy to hear Slice Master is working for you.  You might notice too that Slice Master exposes more buttons, slider, and drop-downs for use in DM780 and Logbook.  If there's a function missing that you'd like access to, just mention it.  I'll do my best to accommodate.  I'm not currently supporting "split" operation because I am having trouble understanding what folks might expect as well as how best to map those functions to the Flex.  

Enjoy.

--Don

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Don Thanks indeed it’s been very helpful. I had 5 slices copying more than I could possibly read earlier today. Can you elaborate on the additional drop down menu items? Peter
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Sure Peter... always happy to elaborate.

In the HRD programs that connect to an HRD server for rig control (Logbook and DM780 for example), the radio panel configuration settings let you choose which radio controls you'd like to have available in the application.  So, if you wanted to adjust your filter bandwidth or switch your RX antenna from inside HRD Logbook, all you need to do is add that control to the Radio Pane.  With SmartSDR controls only a mouse click away having this level of control in Logbook or DM780 is probably more fun than useful.  But, can sometimes be convenient.  For even more fun, DM780 macros can also be used to change radio settings by invoking these controls.  That's a very powerful feature if you have the need.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.