Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600M number two bites the dust !!!

Rich McCabe
Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Just found out that radio #2 (replacement) also has hardware issues and needs to go back to Texas.

So after 9 months of waiting (7 month delay) its going to be gone a couple more weeks minimum.

Yes, I am frustrated.

Grrrrrrr

Comments

• Jay - AJ6AZ
    Jay - AJ6AZ Member
    edited March 2018
    I’m sorry to hear that was the case. What was the problem?
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Something wrong with the knob controls.  Can't easily press BW select to cycle through filters as it pulls up menu to change filter.  First radio had same problem and other issues as well.

Someone with Flex will have to chime in as I have no info beyond that.

Rich
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I would be frustrated too .  I know this sounds like a wacky idea... but perhaps Flex can set up remote access for people that have a radio in for repair .. so you can at least use a radio and the software . Build in to software the ability to remote access your own radio PLUS one at the Flex when authorized by a ticket .
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    They  have arranged for your radio to return to Flex?
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Yes, they sent me a UPS tag. So I need to box it up and haul it into town.

I am almost inclined to hang on to it for a couple weeks and see what else turns up so I don't potentially have to send it  back again.

Rich
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    But did they not suggest sending it back?
    It almost sounds like the knobs are to close to the radio and not allowing them to depress properly, but I'm sure you have gone over that with support.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    They said send it back. Its a manufacturing problem they are now aware of. 

I just was thinking about hanging on to it for a couple weeks to see what other manufacturing problems (if any) turn up.

Just frustrated and will be back to normal tomorrow. LOL

Rich

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Rich as you know because you were part of the discussion I think, they told some others to un do the knobs and pull them out a tiny bit so as to allow them to push in properly? Just mentioning.
  • Brad
    Brad Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    does this mean all 6600M have this issue????
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    what issue?
    Most people are not having these problems, Rich is very un lucky
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Bill, I would think they would have recommended I do something with the knobs if they did not think it was something deeper. 

When I press the center knob its changing the filter setting for the center knob and not what would be controlled by the outer knob.

I would have bet that something in software would have fixed it but guess I am wrong.

Rich
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    These radios are very complicated, It must not be fixable in the field then, that's to bad. I spent the other day playing with a 6600 for about 6 hours. It was wonderful and I could not find a fault in it. What can ya say?
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I’m so sorry .... it’s not easy to deal with that.... hope you have your flex back soon Best Regards George, YV5WZ / PY3ZZZ
  • James Whiteway
    edited March 2018
    I don't think all 6600M's have this issue. I haven't encountered it with mine..........yet. Hopefully it will get sorted soon. James WD5GWY
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

Where are you located Rich?  (Thinking out loud here.)

Steve K9ZW

• K4ELO
    K4ELO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Sorry to hear about your problems Rich.  I know it's frustrating but Flex will get you fixed up.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Rich, of coarse your frustrated, I bet Gerald is to. He is likely digging to see how this happened.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    No doubt. He is the one paying to ship it back and forth and fix it :)

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Iowa, near Des Moines.
  • ricky
    ricky Member
    edited April 2020
    mmm well I am hearing to many bad reports I think I am going to cancel my order
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Well before you do you might want to wait for Flex to chime in. As "frustrated" as I am, there is nothing I would rather have.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Ricky, this is why this community is here, to talk about problems. What would you buy instead? there are hundreds out there with out problems. I used one last week for 6 hours,,it had nothing I could find wrong.
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Oh well......I used to take things that way....its possible to read good and bad reports about Radios, cars, bikes, aircrafts....whatever....my experience:  I just turn my 6600 on about an hour ago....1st contact eastern island  XR0YD  ssb 20 mts..........2nd contact Revillaggedo Island  4B4B ssb 20 mts.....going for Rotuma Island 3D2EU....its a shame its monday ad got to work tomorrow

George, YV5WZ / PY3ZZZ

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Bill are you an "Official spokesman for Flex" ..........
  • [Deleted User]
    edited March 2018
    Certainly sounds like he is
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I received my 6600m on 28Feb and have been running almost 24/7.

All knobs function smoothly, v2.1.32 s/w working with no issues. Ran it with just two slices on the radio itself during the arrl ssb dx contest over the weekend.

Have run two slices on the radio itself and used xdax and xcat to make two instances of fldigi work on mac i7 mini.

Have run all four slices with win7 VM on a mac i5 mini and also with 4 instances wsjtx on i7mini on the network with jtbridge, mldx logger, xCat and xDax and loopback processing the FT8 Data streams.

So all digital modes are working fine.

Have wired up a heil proset with hc5 element using a simple mono to stereo adapter off ebay. SSB mode working fine.

i have yet to setup four cwskimmers but that is my next project

and
    all i can say here...so far so good

and
     to Rich..
    i hope you get your hands on a good one real soon.
    they are a pleasure to operate

Paul K3SF

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Official replies are marked official. Bill speaks for himself and peanut gallery jive is unhelpful. Now that I have your attention, think about what you’ve tried to do - derailing a sensible forum thread because Bill has another opinion differing from whatever your imagining might be true. Veiled or not, personal insults fall below where a community of friends, fellow amateurs, should be operating at. Of course you will probably have a go at me for pointing it out, but then I am sure you have just a thick of skin as you expect the rest of us to have, eh? Back onto topic, my 6600M has been on nearly continuously since early delivery, and is doing the job outstandingly. Easter Island was two calls and confirmed, as is most DX. Taking the time to properly manipulate the various filters I am able to dig out phone DX that hardly shows on the panadapter or waterfall. As for folk who get cold feet not understanding that a great proportion of the community is public venting and kind of peer group troubletickets, I think you’d be unable to buy any radio if you had access to just the list of things that need to be worked out. You’d also not necessarily see that each new release of SmartSDR deals with a huge amount of user-requested fixes and enhancements. If you want a no-change static product why even look at an SDR, especially one known for constant innovation? 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hi Rich

Was hoping you were closer (I live near Green Bay, WI) as I could loan you my spare while yours is off getting fixed.  

I won't be out your way traveling until next month though.

If only closer...but that is again why one likes radio, as you can reach out so far so easily.

Saw a list of radios on your QRZ page, so hopefully you stay on the air while your new one makes a quick roundtrip to the mother ship.

Steve
    K9ZW
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
     Like democracy an Open Forum like this one can get messy.

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thank you. That is very kind of you Steve.

I have an Icom 9100 that will keep me on the air. I have sold everything else to get the 6600m but have the 9100 for 2 meters and backup.

Rich

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.