Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Yeasu MD 100 desk mike 6400M

KB4OIF
KB4OIF Member ✭✭
Good Morning.  In my reading of posts, I came across a mention of yeasu mike's being wired for the Flex radio's.  I have a MD 100 dynamic desk mike.  will this work with out any mods.

Answers

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Yes, if the 6400M has the same mic connector as my 6500. I use the MD100 myself, great mike!image
  • N2TU
    N2TU Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Yes...same pin outs....
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Good that give me another mike to use with the flex.
  • Joe  N9VX
    Joe N9VX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    The 6400M does not have the same mic jack as the 6500. You would need an adapter to use the MD100 on a 6400M.

• KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Just seen this.  Will look at the adapter.

• David Kowell
    David Kowell Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    ok where do I get one    the 8 pin fostner  to 3.5 mm I got from flex does not work
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    David, it the adapter is not working, open a HelpDesk support ticket so we can determine why and replace the one you have if it is defective.
  • David Kowell
    David Kowell Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    well tim I am sure there a lot of flex users out there  that would like to know
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    OK.  Please let everyone know exactly what adapter is needed to go with the MD 100 and where to purchase it.  
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    thanks.

• David Kowell
    David Kowell Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    that is the cable I have
  • David Kowell
    David Kowell Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    that is the cable I have
  • George  N1GB
    George N1GB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    The picture on the Flex store page shows a Foster with pins (male).
    Both my MD-100 and it's base have the pins and require a cable with Foster socket (female).  Is the Flex store picture incorrect?
  • George  N1GB
    George N1GB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    The picture on the Flex store page shows a Foster with pins (male).
    Both my MD-100 and it's base have the pins and require a cable with Foster socket (female).  Is the Flex store picture incorrect?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    are you going into a foster plug on a Flex? if you are, the plug you have now on the MD-100 should plug right into the flex. No adapter is need.
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    My MD 100 cable has an 8 pin female on the end that goes into the mike.   The other end has a modular plug.   The 6400M that I have coming has a 1/8 in plug that goes into the back of the flex.  I ordered the one on the flex site.  Is that one wrong.  Could it be that the MD100 plugs into the jack that the stock mike goes into??????
  • George  N1GB
    George N1GB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    For the 6400 I have reserved, I understand the cable needs to be 8 Pin foster to 1/8in (3.5mm) TRS and RCA for the Yaesu MD-100 mike (or stand).

The cable shown on the Flex site at
    http://cart.flexradio.com/8-Pin-foster-to-18in-35mm-TRS-and-RCA-for-FLEX-6400M-or-FLEX-6600M_p_1028....
    shows the Foster end as male.

But, the Yaesu MD-100 mike (and associated stand, if you use it) has Foster male pins.
    Unless the picture of the cable on the Flex site is incorrect, it doesn't look like it will work since the Foster end needs to be female sockets to plug onto the mike pins.

Could someone who has purchased this cable, or a Flex rep, please confirm whether the cable on the Flex site has Foster male or female connector.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018

I believe the image of the adapter is correct and it assumes your existing  8 pin mic is setup this way.

• George  N1GB
    George N1GB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thank you, Larry!

I did not know the current cable with Foster female end could have the RJ end unpluged from the radio, reversed into the RJ jack on the base and use the Foster female end to connect to a Foster male (i.e. the Flex 8-pin Foster to 1/8 TRS and RCA.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    as that picture looks, it should simply connect to a foster input to a flex, But the new radios do not use foster plugs, in that case an adapter is needed.
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    OK .  Thanks Larry.  Just looked at my mike.  Now it looks right. 

KB4OIF
    John.
  • George  N1GB
    George N1GB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    QSL.  As pictured here, the cable from the stand with the Foster female end would connect to the Flex cable referenced in the link above -  8-pin Foster to 1/8" TRS and RCA adapter cable.
  • ifly106
    ifly106 Member
    edited May 2022
    I just received my adapter to use with this yaesu microphone and my flex 6400M. But I cannot get the microphone to work... The push to talk works but there is no audio. Is there a setting or mic selection that I need to select? I'm hoping it is just a setting...

Thank you
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

Do you have the right input selected on the P/CW panel? There's a dropdown near the top -- you need to select the MIC input (I think it is) on the 6400M.... There might be another one if you are plugged into a different MIC jack.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

6600/6600M have 2 mic jacks. 6400/6400M have 1.

• ifly106
    ifly106 Member
    My microphone is set up exactly how the picture above shows with the same cable that is in the link.

But like I said there is no audio being transmitted. Although the push to talk does work.
  • ifly106
    ifly106 Member
    As it turns out, for anyone who may need to know this in the future, the MD 100 requires 5 volts with the internal equalizer on the microphone turned on. The radio does not supply this. If you flip the microphone stand upside down and bypass the equalizer and turn the bias on on the radio it will power the microphone so audio will transmit.
  • VA7BNB_Brent
    VA7BNB_Brent Member ✭✭

Re-opening this if I may.

I have a MD-100A8X. after reading a bunch of posts, I unplugged the Mic cable from the Flex FHM-2 hand mic and plugged it into the base of the MD-100, set the switches to bypass the equalizer and made sure the Bias was turned on. When I went thru the setup, I get very little signal on the audio level meter, even with the gain turned way up. PTT works as expected. I will try it again, but before I sell the mic, anybody have any other ideas?

Brent, VA7BNB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.