Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Power plug not fitting

g4jnw
g4jnw Member
edited February 2019 in FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
Got a strange issue. (The Flex 1500 is secondhand) It came with a 2.5mm power plug and lead to plug into my standard desktop power supply.
When i try and push the plug in it wont go in, I try it in another device that takes the same plug and it fits, when i try another little 12v power supply plug (has a small ridge around the plug) It fits but its a lower wattage. I ordered a new lead with plug it wont fit again, when you try and push it in its like the inner just wont push in.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5mm-DC-Power-Bore-Plug-Power-Lead-10A-Crocodile-Clips-Inline-Car-Blade-Fuse/272663001514?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 Here is the newest that wont work. 

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It sounds like the plug is not the right one for the inner pin.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I have a box of wall warts and there are 25 different types sizes that almost work in some applications.  I thought you just have the wrong one.  I would contact Flex sales to see what you need.

Rich
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Second the comments above, and add a recommendation to use a light and magnifier to look into the 1500's DC socket. Make sure nothing is goobered up in there (yes, that IS a technical term). The pin could be bent, roughed up by current/heating, or the spring connection (ground side) could be bent.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Goobered? have to remember that one George.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    You need a connector with a larger diameter center connector
  • g4jnw
    g4jnw Member
    edited February 2018
    The recommended one on the website is 
    • Mouser part number 502-760 
    So maybe would be better off getting the recommended one, so long as they never changed their spec.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2019
    The power plug to fit the connector on the 1500 is 5.5 by 2.5 mm.
  • les norton
    les norton Member
    edited March 2018
    Bought the Mouser plug and it fits perfectly, got in touch with the ebay seller who happens to be a radio ham shop and got an email back saying there are loads of different types but he was saying it was 2.5mm in the advert. lesson learned i guess although i can reuse the plug in my MFJ auto tuner so nothing lost. Admin can close  comments now please. Thanks Tim for your comments particularly.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.