Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Had I known the Maestro Knob imbalance was going to be that easy to Fix

Clay N9IO
Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro
I finally decided my first gen Maestro's Knob Imbalance was getting annoying. Pending on where the knob was it could change frequency about 300 hz. I have been fine tuning with my Flex Knob controlled by DDUtil but come on Clay I thought now that's just dumb. Ha... The issue arrises from the drilled out hole where the finger hole was inserted just enough to cause the imbalance. I started a help desk ticket, Dudley got right back to me and said they would send out a repair kit right away. In the kit is a 1/8" hex wrench, two small strips of reinforced tape and a washered nut. Carefully slip off the rubber around the knob, loosen one hex **** and slip the knob off. Next on the back side of the knob turn the nut upside down in the hole and tape in place. Return the knob to it's shaft, tighten the hex **** and slip the rubber back on the knob. Could not be more simple. Like I said, had I known it was was going to be that easy. Wow really??? The nut happens to be the perfect weight replacement for what was removed in the drilling. BTW:. The knob is a VERY nicely machined chunk of aluminum. KUDOS FRS. And thanks again Dudley?

Comments

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    did you take a picture to share with the rest of us?

Bret
    WX7Y

• John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Do you know if Flex will be providing the same kit to all Maestro owners that call in and have the same problem?  Or will there be posted instructions and a parts list to purchase the items from a local hardware store?
  • Jerry  WA9UKB
    Jerry WA9UKB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I fiqured it was normal since mine did that from new, put it on frequencey and the knob will move most of the time.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Sorry didn't think of it at the time. I may pull it back off when I get a chance and take a shot.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi John. Nobody special here. I had seen a different thread that said to open a help desk ticket so I did. I just asked if I could resolve the issue without shipping the Maestro. No problem, so just get the ball rolling with ahelpdesk ticket John.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Super simple Jerry, I mean nothing to it at all. Knob is perfect now the way it should be. When the knob is slipped back onto the shaft it bottoms out so no need to worry about the button push of the knob, it works perfectly. Good design.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

I'm glad you posted this.  I got my balance kit from Flex some months ago and finally got around to opening the package.  Now I know how it gets installed.

Burch

K4QXX

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    This HelpDesk article has the installation instructions for the Maestro VFO-A Balancing modification
    https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000311423-VFO-A-Knob-Continues-to-Rotate-after-R...
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Thanks Tim. Great PDF I am just seeing for the first time. Also knew I was way off on the size of the hex wrench so to correct my initial statement above, the hex wrench is 5/64".
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    and the washer'd nut is a 1/4"

Jut did mine after visiting the hardware store for a nut
    Total $.38 cents, cheaper then having FLEX having to pull it from stock and mail it. 

Thanks Tim for the PDF
    73's
    Bret

• Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    Hams are DIYers.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Has this Mod already been done for all "B" model Maestro's?
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Totally agree Bret like I said, "had. I known". Nut+hex wrench+tape+2 postage stamps X couple thousand Maestro's could add up quickly.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    We corrected the center mass issue with the VFO-A knob half way through the production of the Maestro "A" and the same knob is used for the MAestro B and the "M" model radios as well.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.