Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR license question

K5UFO
K5UFO Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I currently have a 6500 (using V2 SmartSDR) and I just received a seven day old used 6400 that I bought a week ago from another operator.  Since the SmartSDR license is tied to the radio, can both rigs be run at the same time on the same computer utilizing their respective SmartSDR license?  I searched around the community and didn't find an answer to my specific question.  The reason for asking is I plan to use the 6400 exclusively with VHF/UHF transverters.  Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    No.  You can't do that unless you have them both in a Virtual Machine.

Mike

• Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I have to ask why did someone sell the 6400 it just came out?
  • K5UFO
    K5UFO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Ok. Can you recommend a suitable software package?  I searched the community again and all I found was posts regarding virtual serial ports, audio etc.  I am running Win 10.  Thanks.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    Running in a virtual machine environment using either a level 1 or level 2 hypervisor is not for the PC appliance operator.  There are hardware (CPU, RAM and hard drive) and networking considerations you have to understand and plan for.  Once the hypervisor is installed, then you have to manage the multiple virtual machines (VMs) that the hypervisor supports.  I recommend doing some research into this type of configuration before jumping into it.
  • K5UFO
    K5UFO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hello Tim.
    Thanks you for the quick reply.  I will indeed do some research.  My current machine for the Flex rigs is a HP Z440 workstation with a Xeon ES-1620 v3 CPU, 128 GB RAM, Nvidia Quatro P2000 video card, 2TB SSD with an additional 4TB of HD space.  Network wise, I run a closed LAN with a 4 port gigbit ethernet internal card with each rig hardwired to its own port (independent IP address).  I have another computer that is internet aware and when required can be connected via an ad hoc connection.  Are there specific documents that you would recommend I read?  Thanks for your help in this endeavor.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Let me underscore what Tim has said.  Using a Virtual Machine is a possible solution, but not for the faint of heart.  I can tell you from personal experience that the Hyper-V VM system, which is an optional part of Win 10, will not support SmartSDR as it does not provide sound card support.  Hyper-V is meant for the support of multiple servers on one box, and servers don't usually need sound cards.

VMWare tends to be a more complete VM solution, but I haven't tried SmartSDR on it.  If I were to do that, I would expect to have some tough problems to work out.  SmartSDR's virtual sound devices and COM ports make it a peculiar application.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.