Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How do I get my Flex 6500 to generate a CTCSS tone so I can participate in a weekly net on our local

Richard Adkins
Richard Adkins Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm going to order a 146 MHz ASSEMBLED TRANSVERTER in in 146 MHz so I can use our local repeater for a weekly net that I use using my HT.  I'd much prefer to do this with my new 6500. The repeater transmits on 147.060 MHz, has a +600-kHz offset, and requires a 141.3-Hz CTCSS tone. I hope/expect this xverter to do the trick. 

Am I correct?

I'm suspecting that I won't be able to see the frequency that I'll be using showing up on my 6500 as it's using the 10-meter band and the xverter is doing it's thing to get me to the desired freq, somehow. I hope. 

Answers

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    See pages 93 to 95 in the most recent SmartSDR Manual. You will find that the radio does everything you need to operate repeaters. Likewise, see pages 113 to 116 for transverter operation. Here you will find that the radio does indeed display the actual operating frequency.

If you don't have the manual, it can be downloaded from the FlexRadio web site.

Craig, KØCF

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It will work just fine, You can see this even on 10 meter repeaters 
    just select on the FM Mode and you will see the OPT tab, that is where you set your tone Encode and repeater offset. 
    2 Meter through a transverter will show the correct if you set it up correctly.

Check out this Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8JQ0SIUlI8  he explains it very well.

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

Here is a picture of my setup 
  • Richard Adkins
    Richard Adkins Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Why is it that I always think of reading the manual as a last resort! lol  Thanks, I'll do exactly that. 73 Rick K5RHA
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    All I can think of is using a Ferrari for running to the 7-11 to get a Slurpee
  • Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I use the same transverter with my 6500. The attenuator is not required with the Flex. I like it, as I removed the 2 meter rig from my shack. Since I have limited space and there is relatively little 2 meter activity here, this gives me the option to use 2m in any mode without another rig. The manual provides all needed info.
  • David Salomon
    David Salomon Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Using transverters also adds the possibility of working SSB on 2m.  My 2m rig is an el-cheapo that only does FM, so adding the inexpensive transverters from transverters-store will add capabilities to my shack, while taking up very little precious desktop space.

Now I just need to get my 6600M...patience...patience...patience...
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I also have this transverter. If you are going to drive an amplifier, I suggest you limit the output of the transverter to no more than 1W. Beyond that, it isn't the cleanest transverter out there.
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    If you actually HAVE a Ferrari, that's exactly what you'll want to do!

It defines the difference between a collector and a true enthusiast. 

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I just finished building the 2M transverter from the transverter store. Great little transverter. I run mine at 2 watts and feed a Mirage BD-35 amp. The results is phenomenal, a clean output of about 33 watts with very little IMD. 
  • Larry Williamson
    Larry Williamson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Is 2 meters still active anymore? I left that band when cell phones came out 20 years ago.
  • Richard Adkins
    Richard Adkins Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    PFFFFFFFFFFT hehe.  Use what you got man, use what you got.  I built a little j-pole antenna that sits in my attic and attaches to either of my two HTs.  I thought it would be better to attach that jpole 2m antenna to the back of my flex and then be able to use my PTT and nice mic to do the weekly rag chew instead of having to go use the old and not so trusty Baofeng or Wouxun.
  • Richard Adkins
    Richard Adkins Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It gets a fair amount of use in my area for weekly rag chews, ARES net and for the weekly tornado siren test that is a vital in the heart of Tornado Alley, Norman, OK.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Bob, So how does the BD-35 look on the spectrum when running in SSB mode at that power range? Can't see if the AMP is a class C or what class Amp it is.

I need to find a AMP to use for UHF and wonder how clean the UHF side of the AMP is on SSB. 

Bret
    WX7Y

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Bret, never used it on UHF nor did I ever checked it on band with a scope. Sorry

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.