Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

HotSpot BandWidth - Witch is Correct?

N7IPY
N7IPY Member
edited May 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have been using a T-Mobile 4G HotSpot to connect from my LapTop to my new 6400.  Now using SmartSDR V2.1.32.  Works well and I am having a great user experience running remote from my work location back to the home QTH.  

As Bandwidth used is of great concern, I monitor it using the HotSpots simple web application.  When I compare what the HotSpot is reporting as Download kb/s versus what the Network Diagnostics pull-down from within SmatSDR reports, the values are very different.

The Hotspot reports an average of 21kb/s while SmartSDR reports 77kb/s, or more than 3 times what the HotSpot shows.  Data is consistent when tested on 2 different notebooks.

Cellular Data compression/encryption/transmission and so on is not my are of engineering expertness and I am wondering if someone can tell me which devices data to trust?  I lean towards the T-Mobile HotSpot as ultimately t-Mobile is who I pay each month for the service.

Thanks, Will - N7IPY

Answers

• K1SZO
    K1SZO Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Just a guess, but does the network diagnostics include local traffic?  Not just traffic passing through the gateway.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

I always get 77 kbs/sec, also. It stays the same even when I add more slices.

Jim, K6QE

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Will, I promise not to tell your Boss you are playing with Ham Radio at work as long as you dont tell my boss I am doing the same thing!!!!!! :-) 
  • paul
    paul Member
    edited February 2018
    The hotspot is including all headers and other background traffic. My bet is that SmartSDR is only reporting the data included in the packet flow. Plus there may be other Flex related traffic that's not included in the SmartSDR value.

This is assuming there's no other devices on the hotspot that might be using bandwidth too - Keep in mind that lots of software uses traffic even when not running. 
  • N7IPY
    N7IPY Member
    edited February 2018
    Deal!!!
  • KD3VK Ken
    KD3VK Ken Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Am I missing something here? These responses seem to explain why the hotspot is reporting the higher data flow, whereas the original post explains that SDR is the one reporting larger of the two measurements. I don’t see any explanation why SDR is reporting the large data flow.
  • paul
    paul Member
    edited February 2018
    Good point. Looks like a bunch of us can't read
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2018
    The real situation here is that in SmartSDR (but not Maestro), the bandwidth in use is only for the receive audio and not for the panadapter and waterfall.  The panadapter and waterfall can take an additional 130-2000Mbps per panadapter.  We expect to fix this in the future.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    You can monitor both the total up-link and down-link speed separately in the Windows Task Manager under the Performance tab.
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I was running my 6600M remotely last week, over my Verizon hotspot. I consumed the last 5 gig of my highspeed allotment and was tossed back to 640K throttled operation. I could not keep SDR running at that rate.
    That was an EXPENSIVE evening of operating. It won't happen again!
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    With the waterfall rate at 60% and the FPS at one, 5 Gigs would last me twenty hours. If you would like to operate a lot like that every month, try the Verizon $65 prepaid unlimited MiFi plan.

I use Visible wireless (visible.com) which is a wholy owned Verizon Subsidiary. For $40 a month, including all taxes and fees, they offer unlimited calling, texting and truly unlimited data capped at 5-Mbits/Sec., subject to network management only during times of cell site congestion. Also included is unlimited HOTSPOT.

I bought a "like new" iPhone SE on Amazon for $149. Visible only supports most iPhones and just three Android phones. If the SE is too small, I think that the iPhone 6S is the same hardware with a bigger screen. In either case, be sure the phone is unlocked.

If you use this referral code, we both get a discount. The code is tFbMB.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.