Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Best State of the Art Remote Rotator Controller

Brent Parker
Brent Parker Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

A group of us have placed a 6500 in our "club" room. It has a 3 El Yagi, with a 40 m dipole and a very old rotator. The controller is the 40 year old "flip the lever left or right" and watch the needle.

Obviously the controller needs replacing to have remote operations, and probably the rotator also, given it's age.

Recommendations?   Who has the slickest interface for the remote operations. Direct control of the controller from the remote computer, or do you have to remote into the local computer?? Is there automatic control of the controller with DDutil, or does that even work remote??

I'm sure there are several ways to skin this cat. Looking for something simple, but elegant.

Thanks,  Brent W8XG

Answers

• Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Great question! I too would be interested in an easily remote-able rotator big enough to handle a mid-size 3 element tri-band beam and a 40 meter dipole. I may get the opportunity to **** a remote tower in the next year or so, and while I'd prefer a directional solution, a cobweb Antenna was looking like my best answer (no rotor) but they seem too fiddly for a remote solution.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    I would suggest a rotor supported by PSTRotator. That software is slick and you can set up a web page for remote access and it interfaces to a lot of popular logging programs for getting azimuth info from cluster spots. I use it with a Yaesu G1000 rotor with a serial interface installed and three different logging programs, N1MM+, HRD Logbook, and Log4OM. Dave wo2x
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Let me toss in what works for me.

I have been operating for 12 years remotely.  As part of my solution with multiple operating locations, I decided to have a PC at the remote end.

I finally decided on PSTRotatarAZ due to its multiple integration parts.

http://www.qsl.net/yo3dmu/index_Page346.htm

This talks to the RS232 port on the Rotator Controller.  In my case, it also controls my Steppir, etc.

Take some time to review all the parts.

For simple Beam Control it does have a web interface too.  Here is what the web interface looks like from a remote connection and it looks good on an iPhone too.

Mike va3mw

• Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I was on a budget so I took a Yaesu G-450 rotor and control box ($279.95) and added a Easy Rotor Control ERC V4 USB Rotor Control mounted in G-450A CB ($100.00).  It's connected to my remote shack computer via USB and integrated with HRD Logbook.  Works great. 

Cal / N3CAL
  • Charley Snodgrass
    edited February 2018
    The Ham-M / Tail twister type rotor does not have remote control, but I have installed the "Rotor-EZ" control board that mounts in the controller and now have remote control of the rotor. Might be less expensive than buying a complete new rotor/controller that has USB or RS-232 control. I haven't used the programs listed above, but it does work with Ham Radio Deluxe... just click on the country and the antenna starts turning!
  • Mike Presnell
    Mike Presnell Member
    edited February 2018
    Check out Green Herron Engineering.... Jeff is always very helpful, and his controller is wifi enabled, and easy to work remote.
  • Rick- K2RB
    Rick- K2RB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Diddo on the Green Heron Engineering.  Have mine for many years and remote operating is seemless.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.