Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

GPS Disciplined Oscillator

Cal  N3CAL
Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm curious if anyone is using this type external GPSDO with their Flex 6000 series radios?   I've purchased one of these last fall on Ebay and have it running in the shack.  The plan is to feed the new 6600 once it arrives.  I've got the RS232 port hooked to my computer via USB and  running a program called NMEA Time which keeps my computer time updated and accurate. It's works great and runs in the background.  WSJT-x is always synced and decodes. 

a few screen shots:

Cal/N3CAL

Comments

• Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Yes, I use one of these on my Flex-6700.  I don't have the software installed so thanks for posting.  
  • Mike_W7TUS
    Mike_W7TUS Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I use a Thunderbolt GPS with my Flex 6500.  I only use the 10MHZ output of the GPS into the 6500 and it knocks the correction down from around 1500 ppb to around 60ppb.  The software that works well with it is Lady Heather but in my situation I don't use the software just the 10mhz signal into the 6500.  Very happy with it.
    Mike W7TUS
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I'm pretty sure that my friend Steve, K3WKM is running this one on his 6500.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Cal, does the RS232 port need a null modem/cable or just a normal serial cable?

Burch
    K4QXX
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Yes I use that one and it works very well. I have his distribution amp that feeds all of my radios/transverters.

I also use it as a time source for Meinberg NTP.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Burch,  I'm using a  DB9 male to  USB-A male cable to my computer for NMEA Time.   If you have a RS232 serial port on your computer it should be just a normal one.  When the 6600 arrives I plan on running the 10Mhz output (BNC) to the RCA 10Mhz RCA input on the back of the 6600.

Cal/N3CAL

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Anyone have a link to this item on EBAY?
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    There don't seem to be any for sale on Ebay at the moment. I got mine direct from BG7TBL on taobao.com but it you don't understand Chinese, it is certainly an experience (even with Google translate)
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    A caution if you are really a hair-splitter:

While the long-term frequency precision of a GPS-disciplined oscillator can be much better than the standard free-running oscillator, the phase noise can be MUCH higher. Since the external 10 mhz signal does not discipline the Flex's internal oscillator, it becomes the primary oscillator and can actually degrade the performance of the transceiver to a measurable extent.

This is especially true in the relatively inexpensive GPS-disciplined oscillators. A unit with low-noise output can cost as much or more than the transceiver.

73, Bob 
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Cal, I am having trouble finding this software.  Can you point me in the right direction? 

Burch
    K4QXX
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Burch,  NMEA Time can be found here:  

http://www.visualgps.net/#nmeatime2-content

Cal/N3CAL

• Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Meinberg works for me
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thank you.
  • Jlawson40
    Jlawson40 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Has anyone used the Leo Bodnar GPSDO with the 6000 series? John, W8AGS
  • Bob Brown - N8OB
    edited February 2018
    I use this unit on my 6300.  I use a rubberduck antenna on the 10Mhz connector and then run the calibration procedure on 10Mhz.  It works very well.  I use this system for the FMT and usually do well on it also.  Mine is a couple of versions before yours but it checks out very well.
    Bob - N8OB
  • Jlawson40
    Jlawson40 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Thanks, Bob. I’m going to order one. It has pretty good reviews. John
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited August 2019

So to be a little more blunt than Tim, Bob's comment is not true.

For anything above a 20Hz bandwidth (i.e., negligible), Flex transceivers retain their own phase noise characteristics when using an external reference. Essentially, the external reference is only used for long term frequency accuracy.
  • Tom W3FRG
    Tom W3FRG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I note the DC requirement on the BG7TBL is 11.7 - 12.9V.  I assume most of these are run from shack supplies which are closer to 13.8.  Any issues?

Keith - AC9S
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I've run mine for over 1 year at 13.8vdc.  It's still working.  Only thing I had to do is attenuate the output.  It's original output was a tad over 3.3 volts peak to peak which the Flex 6600 didn't tolerate but I padded it down to 2.0 volts and no issues.

Cal/N3CAL
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for sharing.

Keith

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.