Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

n1mm telnet not connecting to anything!

Dave KD5FX
Dave KD5FX Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Third-Party Software
I have been using N1MM for years with no problem but recently I noticed that I wasn't getting any DX spots. I checked the telnet window and it wasn't connecting to the cluster I've been using for some time. So I tried another, and another, and then a WHOLE BUNCH! Including  VE7CC and K3WW. Nothing. No connections. I googled for answers and tried turning off the windows firewalls (Win 7) and opened port forwarding 23 and 7300 on my router. Still nothing. Telnet from the cmd prompt does not work either. 

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Dave

A few things you can try.

Port forwarding should not be required as those are for inbound packets.  You are doing outbound.

First, let's see if Telnet actually works, so if you haven't download Putty and see if that works.  This will show if it is an N1MM issue or not.  https://www.putty.org/

Configure it like this and hit Open

This is my cluster.  If you see a login: prompt, then you have an N1MM issue you need to solve.

If not, then you have a PC issue you need to solved.  This is likely a firewall issue and you want to make sure you Network card didn't get marked as Public due to some Windows update.

Let us know how you make out.

BTW, for those connecting to my cluster, I have filters running and only show spots that are from stations that spot them in the NE US and Canada.   

Mike va3mw

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    VE7CC worked for me over the weekend.
  • Dave KD5FX
    Dave KD5FX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks Mike! I did that. Running putty I get the 'Network error: Connections timed out'. I turned off Windows Firewall. My network is set to 'home'. I don't have any other firewalls running that I know of. What else could it be?
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Virus scanner?  Some will block outgoing connections to "unusual" ports.
  • Dave KD5FX
    Dave KD5FX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    No, nothing running but plain ole MS Security Essentials. It WAS working just fine until a couple of weeks ago.
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Based on your comment regarding the puTTY session you tried, we already know it's not just N1MM that's having trouble.  This would suggest some sort of filewall issue somewhere.  Did you make any changes on your router before the trouble started?  
  • Dave KD5FX
    Dave KD5FX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    No, no changes. I even turned off the firewall. Still doesn't work.
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Do you use a wifi connection or hard wire connection. If wifi, then you may have to check that. If hardwired, then perhaps a broken wire ?

John
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Dave, I assume that you can actually connect to the internet with this computer with a browser ? Can you open a cmd prompt and do a: Ping 8.8.8.8 and paste in the results. Next, on the command prompt do an: ipconfig /all And paste in those results too.
  • Dave KD5FX
    Dave KD5FX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    It's hardwired, network and internet is working just fine. No other problem, just telnet. 

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : BigDog2
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : 
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 18-03-73-B4-BB-74
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7d03:3af3:854c:34f7%11(Preferred) 
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.27(Preferred) 
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, February 12, 2018 7:19:05 AM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, February 12, 2018 8:19:05 AM
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 236454771
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-21-1E-FF-D7-18-03-73-B4-BB-74
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2602:306:bd95:fb00::1
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{5486E567-5249-4CF4-957A-DCD24D3503B6}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5cf2:8c44:28dc:3e90:3f57:ffe4(Preferred) 
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::28dc:3e90:3f57:ffe4%13(Preferred) 
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I have seen this once before where the firewall was off, browsing worked, but nothing else did. 

It can be one of the following.

Windows networking
    Windows firewall
    Router firewall

For the router firewall, do you have another computer that you can test with to see if Putty works on the firewall?  If it fails, then you have a Router Firewall issue.

For Windows, you might want to give this a try.  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/299357/how-to-reset-tcp-ip-by-using-the-netshell-utility

Also, did you do something that might have increased your Browser Security?  It will have an affect on your overall Network.

Mike

• Dave KD5FX
    Dave KD5FX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Michael,
    Thanks for your help! I am able to putty to va3mw cluster just fine on my laptop which is on the same network. (Wireless on laptop, wired on the problem PC). 
    That should eliminate a problem with the Router firewall. I ran the netshell utility from your link above (twice), rebooted, no joy. I also turned off windows firewall from the control panel. Still nothing.
    Interesting, I just discovered that I can't PING any website either from a CMD prompt. I can ping other devices on my local network but nothing outside on the internet. I googled this problem and found several 'solutions', flushing the DNS, this and that. Tried them all, still the same problem. I can't ping or telnet anything. But I can browse with Chrome to any website. I checked my DNS settings, it's set to use the default in my cable modem. I checked those, looks like the standard ones. I tried setting them to 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 which I've used before but that didn't help. Can't even ping the cableone DNS servers. 
    What else can I try?
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I wonder if you have been hacked by any chance ? or someone straddling your IP address ?
  • Dave KD5FX
    Dave KD5FX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Everything works OK on two other PCs in the house. I don't think it's the cable company or the modem. Something is messed up in the PC I use to access my Flex.
  • Val  DM1TX
    Val DM1TX Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Did you find in the and what was the cause? I have same issue only with N1MM. Weird is I can acces any telnet cluster separately (I use Secure CRT) and other logging software from same PC (Log4OM and HamOffice) have absolutely no problems. Only thing is to reinstall the N1MM I think.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.