Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I just got my 6400M

Rick  WN2C
Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
I just got my 6400 M today and set it up with out reading the manual. It is easy if have owned a Flex before. I love it and not having to connect it to a computer is great. 
Now the only thing I need is an HDMI cable for the BIG monitor!!
Thanks Flex!!!image

Comments

• Homer1952
    Homer1952 Member
    edited May 2018
    Congrats, Rick.  Still no word on mine.  How'd you hook up the Heil Classic?  73 Bob
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Well, Flex sent me the wrong cable. I was supposed to get the the 8 pin Foster to use with my PR 781. It just so happened that I had the Heil Classic. It is probably a good thing they sent the wrong cable by mistake as I did not have a 4 pin XLR cable for the radio. Now I have choices for a microphone, A PR 781 (as soon as Flex send the cable) the Heil Classic and the Heil Pro set with the HC6. Oh, and the hand mike.
  • Jd Dupuy
    Jd Dupuy Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Outstanding! Tell us how things are working in the days ahead.
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Boy is this fun...taking a new radio out of the box!

• KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I got to touch a 6400M yesterday at the hamcation.  Bigger than I thought.  Could not stop drooling.  My first Flex so the learning curve is steep from what I have read and heard.  Hope my 71 yr old brain survives.  Come on April.

• James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Rick, you look like a kid at Christmas.   OK, so is it control by knob only or can you still use a mouse? Any keyboard control?   73, Jim
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited February 2018
    The M model and the non-M using a Maestro allow button, knob and touch screen operation without need of a PC.

You can use a PC running SmartSDR with keyboard and mouse instead if you desire.

At this time only one client can be connected to the radio at a time. The front panel, Maestro, SmartSDR, Dogpark Software for MAC, and SmartSDR for IOS are all clients.

If you are running the front panel or Maestro you can still ise a PC with SmartSDR CAT and DAX for interfacing to third party software (logging, digital modes, etc) and hardware (auto tuners, amp).

Dave wo2x
  • James Del Principe
    edited February 2018
    Thank you, Dave. One of the reasons I ask is for frequency control. These radios do not have a keypad for direct digital entry of frequency in the manner of my FT-2000 for example.   On my Flex 6500, I need to click on a frequency with the mouse or highlight the frequency in the flag and then enter it in the keyboard. On my FT-2000, I hit enter, key in a frequency and hit enter again....a very easy operation.

Best 73, Jim
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2018
    If you tap on the frequency on the display it should pop up a screen allowing direct frequency entry.

Dave wo2x

• Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Looks like the cat who ate the cannery.

• James Del Principe
    edited February 2018
    Way cool, Dave.   Sounds like they put some thought into this.     Jim    KD1I
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I don't think you have to worry about the learning curve.  the signature series radios are very much plug and play.  the also don't require a lot of computer savvy like the Flex 5000.  Can't decide which new radio I'll get...  but I will.   Currently have a 6300 and honestly, find it way more than satisfactory.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.