Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro power on

Mike
Mike Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro
Well the new 6600 is here. I had a Maestro with my 6500 and everything worked fine. Sent the 6500 in as a trade in for the 6600 so the Maestro has been sitting for a while. Hooked it up and plugged the power back in. When I try to power up the Maestro I get nothing. Yes I am holding down the power button but no change in the screen or anything. I'm wonder is there some secret start up protocol I am unaware of?

Comments

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Mike - has your Maestro been unplugged from its power supply for awhile?  If so, plug it in and let it charge its internal battery, and make sure it's removable battery is charged too.
  • Warren Gaspar
    Warren Gaspar Member
    edited February 2018
    Mike,

I had a similar problem after my Maestro sat idle for 6 months.  I put in one of my external batteries and that got where it would boot up again.  Took a few days for the internal battery to recharge but I still have the battery in even though it's plugged in.

Warren
    KC0GU
  • Mike
    Mike Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yea the Maestro has been unplugged since August so maybe it needs some wake up time. Thanks!
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited February 2018
    If it is the original Maestro with power button on top and the internal battery completely depleted it might need to back to Mother Flex.

Try what others suggested to charge it first. If you still have issues, open a Help Desk ticket.

Dave wo2x

• Mike
    Mike Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Yep it has the power button on top. Well guess I'll see if it charges up. I wonder if there is an upgrade or why there was a change in design.
  • kz1w
    kz1w Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Had to send mine back since it sat for a while. No way to charge it locally, I tried all the tricks.  Then was told I needed a new display.  Not feeling good about Flex.  This was a bad design mistake in V1. I understand it took a motherboard spin to fix the "charge battery at factory" problem.
  • Mike
    Mike Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    There should have been a recall or at least a heads up to once it was powered on to leave it plugged in. I'm hoping the unit comes to life.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Sorry your device had this problem. Fromthe Maestro User Manual:

http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/maestro-user-guide-v1-pdf/

Important Note: Maestro “A” models (those with serial numbers in the form xxxx-xxxx-0100-xxxx) must be connected to DC power for 15 to 30 minutes every 4 to 6 weeks of non-use to ensure that the internal display battery does not completely discharge. If the display battery discharges, the Maestro will not boot, and a HelpDesk ticket will have to be opened to resolve the issue.

I leave mine connected to 12V-DC when stored to save charge/recharge cycles.

_..--
     TiM
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Tim can FRS re-work the Maestro A models to bring them up to a more present model?
  • Mike
    Mike Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I decided to pull out my user guide that came with the unit. There is a warning about using the unit during a lightning storm. Nothing on having to leave unit plugged in or plug it in every 4 weeks. nothing, zip. I searched though my emails and don't see any alert being received either.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I am pretty sure the "A" can't be reworked to a "B". 

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited February 2018
    There was plenty of chatter on here about topping off charge on the Maestros when they discovered the issue. Dave wo2x
  • kz1w
    kz1w Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    And if you weren't reading this chatter??  Regular emails were sent re development, why not of this topic?
  • kz1w
    kz1w Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Somewhere in 165 pages of manual? And then where is that statement in the manual I downloaded 1.10.16??

I'd like somebody to show me an example in the entire history of ham radio where a rig not plugged in for a month has to be returned to the factory to recharge the battery.  Flex - you **** UP - admit it and take care of us who signed on early on in this adventure.
  • Mike
    Mike Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hats off to you folks who check in on community all the time. I don't unless there is some anomaly/problem cropping up. So having a lot of chatter doesn't help me. This problem was discovered by me after the 6600 was received Monday and hooked up Tuesday. Prior to my 6500 being traded in I had no problems with the Maestro so no reason to be checking in here or pulling out the Maestro user guide. As stated by Grant, I've never had a piece of equipment that if not used for a period of time is just ****. Everything I have if you plug it in to DC up she comes and runs even if it has been sitting. In some other threads on community that I had a chance to read this evening, the Flex rep on here states that not everyone got an email and not every box of Maestro had a slip with a "warning" once the problem was discovered. I'm guessing Flex changed the design of the Maestro to address this problem since there are now "versions" in existence. Some how if you bought an early Maestro you have gotten "jobbed" as they say on the street. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence to jump on board early next time.  Maybe if the original delivery date for the 6600 Aug/Sept was able to be met I'd never know of this problem. I had anticipated being without a radio for 4-6 weeks from trade in to delivery and we know how all that went. I fail to see where I am at fault since I was never notified.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    That is BS that I have to plug in my Maestro to keep it from having to be sent back for repairs. It is a design flaw and Flex should fix and or update it for no charge.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks Steve for your kind comments.  

Mike, please open a support ticket and we will get this taken care of for you.

Mike

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I don't have a Maestro and although I frequent here I don't keep on on that product because I don't have one.  But surely that's not right is it?  Am I reading this right?  It is possible that if you let the battery go dead on the Maestro for an extended period of time it might have to go back Flex for repairs?
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Never-mind. I just read the official response Tim made in another thread.
  • Mike
    Mike Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    That I can do. If the unit doesnt turn on after being hooked up for 10-12 is it safe to assume that it isn't coming back without service at this point?
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Rich

Some (not all) of the Maestro's can have boot issues if left without power for an extended period of time.  If this happens, the support teams have a few recovery tricks and if that fails, it does have to come home to recover. 

Personally, since I have 2, I left one not plugged in for about 2 months.  I then wanted it for my 6600.  I plugged 12v into it and then it booted fine about 6 hours later.  

Mike 
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for response Michael.  Sounds like its something you are talking about in Texas anyway.  Be nice if there was a boot loader of something that could get it going again but have no doubt that engineering knows what the limitations are.

Not a big deal to me as its unlikely I will every purchase one.  I am waiting for a $400 unit that's half way before the Flex Control knob and a Maestro :)

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    This issue is being handled via the HelpDesk.  If anyone else experiences a problem with a Maestro not booting after being stored for a prolonged period of time, please open a HelPDesk ticket for resolution.  Thank you.
  • Mike
    Mike Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    This matter is being taken care of by Flex so I'm not sure additional comments are useful at this point. Live and learn.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    This topic is being closed at the request of the poster.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.