Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Are all the connectors on the new 6400/6400M/6600/6600M located on the back of the radio?

Steve K9ZW
Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

Looking through my pictures and the datasheet, wondering if there are also front panel microphone, PTT and Headset connections available or planned if not presently shown?

Steve K9ZW

Answers

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    What I would like to see on all rack mounting ears some holes for front facing connections, especially on the newer rigs where everything is on the back and the ears are physically longer.  Possibly populated with things like mic, key, antenna, external speaker.

No problem, as a ham to do this myself.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I spoke with Gerald about this very thing at Xenia. All connections are in the rear. I said that would be a problem for me. His reply was more or less that "many" people wanted the opposite. I can see that there's a panel space issue. Front connectors would mean a bigger box or a smaller screen. I have the same complaint about the Maestro, btw. Maybe other folks think wiring is something you do once and it's done. That's not my style... Something we could ask for would be a breakout box that brings mic, key and headphones around to the front. Of course, there's the DIY option. Martin
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The space conundrum. Would seem wiring falls into two general groups. That which is infrequently handled like power, coaxes, and internet - items which the back of case is natural. And a second grouping which like microphone, audio-output, PTT and key connections which are often duplicated on the front panel for user convenience. On the new non-"M" models the capability to rack mount would be greatly enhanced by having front panel connectivity. Or mount it back face out and added a switch for powering up. Breakout panels certainly can help, but should we really need one for a brand new transceiver package? Hmmm... 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Are the new ears strong enough
    to punch out and mount multiple front facing connections?  Our rack mounting area has limited rear access and would require de-racking the equipment to add/change a connection.
    I like the clean radio design however, as stated above, convenient access is appreciated in rack mounting environments.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    Mount it backward with the rear facing forward.  This is how I mounted all network gear so I have access to the import part.  The front is just cosmetic.
  • KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    That's a great engineering answer.
    You cannot put connectors on the front because the M models have no room for connectors on the front. So, neither do.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    I use a Maestro for the control surface so, yes, my radio facing backward so I have easier access to the back.  it is a pragmatic answer.
  • Gordon, ve7on
    Gordon, ve7on Member
    edited February 2018
    The only problem I see is that I will have to reach around the back and unplug the headphones in order to use the speaker.
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Tim i follow your suggestion  whit a small improvement i put it on the side 

so have access to power Switch  ,and connector on the back(now the side) 
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Speaker output and headphone output is independent.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2018
    That isn't necessary.  See Rich's comment below.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.