Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I am trying to get my new 6600 working with WSJT-X RX works CAT does't

bahillen
bahillen Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am setting up wsjt-x with my new 6600. Not clear what to put in the box for network. latest SRD and SRD CAT software. I have put in the Radio as Flex 6xxx and tried a number of Network Servers names. I have set up a com port and also set up a TCP port 60001 as discussed in some of the community postings. Tried the Kenwood 2000 Rig to no avail. The receive side of WSJT-X is working fine and decoding. Using Slice A. In the wsjt-x settings when i Test CAT is turns Red and get a message Rig Failure Hamlib error: Protocol error while opening connection to rig 
Or Hamlib error: Invalid configuration while opening connection to rigRig. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The inputs in the community seem to be different for different radios and different software versions. Maybe I missed something in the documentation. WSJT-X ver 1.8.0 K1JT . Has been working great with my FT1000MP MarkV. Flex 6600 also works will with HRD. 

Bill
W9JJB

Comments

• NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Pictures are worth thousands of words.  Here's how I have my CAT port set up:

and here is how I have my WSJT-X configured:

Here is the audio configuration:

And here is the radio configuration:

Select the DAX channel (1 in my case) in the slice receiver so that sound from the radio will go to DAX RX channel 1.  Select DAX as the transmitter input (blue button at the left).  Set the TX and RX passbands to your liking, mine are usually wide open, 0 to 5000 Hz.  Slice mode should be DIGU.

Set the TX power to 100% and control the TX level with the DAX TX control:

Make sure the RX and TX channels are turned on in the DAX control panel.

That should do it.

Dave / NX6D

• NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Yep, I've been using the patched WSJT-X for so long I have more or less forgotten that it is a special version.

I have a full installer for WSJT-X 1.8.0 that contains the changes necessary for the 6400 and 6600 to be recognized, if you, or anyone needs it.

Since Bill said he couldn't get WSJT-X working using Kenwood TS2000, I included all of the configuration stuff above.

Here's my system running on TS2000:

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2018
    Both TS-2000 and Flex 6xxx do not work with 6400 or 6600 in the public release of WSJT-X 1.80. My post above has a link to the patched version on Dropbox if anyone needs it. 

For the tech heads - both the Kenwood.c and Flex.c files need to be updated with the new model Flex radios with the new radio IDs. That is the modification I've done to Hamlib.

I am working to get the authors of WSJT-X to update the Hamlib code and release a version with 6400/6600 support and to ensure future version of WSJT-X support all the Flex radios.

Note for Bill, if you are not using JT Alert, you should download and install the latest version. It fully supports logging to HRD.

Dave wo2x
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    David WO2X,

The WSJT-X zip file was just what the doctor ordered. This is what everyone using the new Flex6XXX will need. Dave NX6Ds configuration works first time after the new WSJT-X was updated for the 6400 and 6600 models.

I do use JTAlert-x all the time. Just started it up and it works fine.logged a contact.

Thanks for eveyones help. 
    Bill W9JJB
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Here's a link to a full installer for WSJT-X, version 1.8.0, that contains the patches so that the FLEX-6400 and FLEX-6600 will be recognized as radios that the program can operate.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgvdqNf7I04lgd1993iFUQAMa-S8dg

I built this installer using the published source for 1.8.0 and the standard toolset used to build the program.  The modification is to simply add the device codes for the 6400 and 6600 to the list of Flex radios the program recognizes.  Since all of the radio models run the same SmartSDR program, they all are driven by a program like WSJT-X in the same way, as long as the program recognizes the radio as a Flex.

Credit where it is due, Dave Decoons, WO2X, worked with the Hamlib developers to create the patches.  I simply copied them into my copy of the WSJT-X 1.8.0 source code and turned the crank.
  • Dan -- KC4GO
    Dan -- KC4GO Member
    edited March 2018
    I have my 6600 running as shown by Dave NX6D first set of pictures at the top of this link  with the modified version of WSJT-X running as FLEX-6xxx with no problem the only difference I'm using  used port 60000.  localhost:60000 (not the 6600)
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I got 4 instances of WSJT-X and 4 JTAlert working on 4 different bands on my Flex6600.  Check out my new Posting under All Ideas section. 
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/new-flex6600-and-wsjt-x-multiple-instances-and-mult...

Thanks to David and Dave for providing the software patch and Pictures.

Bill W9JJB
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited February 2018
    You are welcome! Dave wo2x
  • Paul W5PF
    Paul W5PF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I would like to see hoe you didi it, but can't find the "All Ideas" Section.

Paul W5PF
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited February 2018
    Paul I believe you can create batch files to start multiple instances of WSJT-X. Maybe DanKC4GO can chime in, I think he does it all the time. Also try a Google search 73 Dave wo2x
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    At the top of the web page it is Ideas not All Ideas.
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/new-flex6600-and-wsjt-x-multiple-instances-and-mult...

I wrote what I did and how but it is not a manual like documentation. You may have to get familial with some of the documentation for the various applications but It was my route to get to a working situation. some of the screenshots above also help with showing the popups for setting up the ports.

73 Bill W9JJB QRZ email is good for me.
  • Paul W5PF
    Paul W5PF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks Bill and Dave. I found Bill,s post under ideas. Don't have my 6600 yet but doing something similar on the 6500.

Paul W5PF
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Title is 
    New Flex6600 and WSJT-X multiple instances and multi Instances JTAlertX on SmartSDR
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited February 2018
    Paul WSJT-X 1.8.0 doesn’t support the 6400 or 6600 since they weren’t released when v 1.8.0 came out. Further up I posted a link to a recompiled version of WSJT-X 1.8.0 with updated Hamlib to add the new models. If you get the radio before WSJT-X 1.9.0 is released you will need my recompiled version. Just a heads up so you will be prepared. Dave wo2x
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Dave,

Do you have any observations on stability with multiple instances? I takes a lots of things hooked together. There has been some comments / postings that Multiple Instances are not supported by the owner / code teams. 

For now I am happy. Great radio.

Bill W9JJB
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited February 2018
    I don’tbut Ibelieve Dan KC4GO does. Hopefully he sees this. I may give it a shot tomorrow after work. Dave
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Has any one recompiled the mac version of wsjtx for the 6400/6600?

TIA
    Paul K3SF

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited February 2018
    Paul I have not. If anyone wants to compile it, I have the two files available that need to be modified in the Hamlib source code. Contact me direct. Dave wo2x
  • Mario_DL3LSM
    Mario_DL3LSM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Paul,

if you are using xCAT I have released a new version today (https://dl3lsm.blogspot.de/) where you can use a mask function so that the radio identifies as a Flex-6500 to WSJT-X (or other apps which are using Hamlib).

73, Mario DL3LSM

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    hey mario

thanks for the update..

i dont have my 6600M in hand yet

expecting to here about it shipping any day now

i  will report how it works when it arrives

Paul K3SF

• Dale - K4DG
    Dale - K4DG Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Dave:  Thanks for the tips and the updated/fixed version of WSJT-X. I had just installed my new 6600 and encountered this same problem as others when trying to run WSJT-X 1.8.0. Loading the modified WSJT-X file did the trick and now I can work FT-8 again! The Flex users community comes through again.

73 de Dale K4DG
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited March 2018
    You are welcome! The upcoming WSJT-X 1.9 will have proper support for the new models. It is using the latest Hamlib library. Dave wo2x
  • Steve Moore
    Steve Moore Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    This is for Dave WO2X, I used the install file associated to your link and it's working perfect on my new 6600M.  Thanks for the help/info.   

Steve 
    WB0AOD
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2018
    You are welcome. The latest beta of WSJT-X, 1.90 rc3 as of this writing, now supports the new Flex radios. Dave wo2x
  • Scott-ka0jwc
    Scott-ka0jwc Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have my 6600 set up with WSJT-X ver 1.8.0. Im receiving and decoding FT8 fine. When I transmit, the radio keys up, but I get no audio out. TX is turned on in DAX. It says its streaming.. CAT is using COM4
    what am I missing?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2018
    Make sure that DAX is enabled on right side panel.

Dave
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2018
  • Scott-ka0jwc
    Scott-ka0jwc Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    yes, it is
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2018
    OK, lets take it step by step.

When you click on TUNE in WSJT-X, does the radio key up? (You stated it does)

Open DAX control panel and make sure TX stream is enabled and blue.

Next, when clicking TUNE in WSJT-X see if the level bar for TX stream in DAX control panel shows output level. My setting is at 42 for the slider.

If that shows level then check the level in the right side P/CW panel in SmartSDR. 

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.