Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6300 Noise Blanker

Dave
Dave Member
edited October 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I posted on this Forum some tears ago regarding the NB on the Flex 630 using any version of Smart SDR
No matter how I set the NB it distorts on strong signals. Very distorted initially and after a few seconds it seems to work fine

Answers

• Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Have you tried reading the manual how to set it up? Or searched this forum for the same question?

Just for 1st though! 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2018
    The WNB takes time to train itself to the noise signature and then implement the necessary blanking to remove it.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    David, i get it. I know exactly what you're talking about. In my case, the overly distorted signals don't stop. Until I turn the NB off. Yes, I am talking specifically about the NOISE BLANKER. NOT THE WIDE NOSE BLANKER.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I have also notice the auto notch filter stops working during voice peaks. Not very well thought out, in my humble opinion.
  • Scott N8UMW
    Scott N8UMW Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I've noticed that as well.
  • Dave
    Dave Member
    edited January 2018
    I have tried all sorts of settings and the NB still distorts on strong signals
    This has been a problem from the get go
  • Dave
    Dave Member
    edited January 2018
    Oh Tim, I am not talking about the WNB, which does not seem to actually do anything
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    The WNB is a strange beast.  There are times when it will do nothing because the type of  noise (wide band) it addresses is not present.  Other times, it will be amazing.  Check out some of the YouTube demos and you will see under what circumstances it helps.  I takes a while but after a lot of playing, I am able to know whether to kick in WNB or NR or both.  Also be aware that it takes a second or two for any of the noise blanker to actually work. There's some back end processing which has to take place first.
    73, Bob
    WK2Y. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2018
    I have added these reports to our bug tracker as issue #5809 for the engineering team to investigate.
  • Dave
    Dave Member
    edited January 2018
    Many thanks again to all, This NB has been an issue for a long time and with all due respect one would have expected that it would work on strong signals without distorting. I listened in on a conversation (locally) with a Ham using the all new "singing and dancing IC7610". He was experiencing the same problem with the NB distorting on the Icom "SDR". With the first firmware update from Icom, the problem was resolved
    So, if this is in fact an issue with the Flex then I trust that it will get sorted :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.