Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400M and a monitor

KB4OIF
KB4OIF Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Ok.  I know I have been asking a lot of questions here since I ordered my Flex.  Will the 6400M have all the needed software already installed?  I noticed on one of the flex video here that they inserted a CD.  I plan to use a 6400M and a 24 inch hdmi monitor.  No CD drive?  am I missing something here or is that an older video?

Best Answers

Answers

• Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    You will need to install client software on your computer. If it is a 'normal' pc, i.e. IBM type, you install Smart SDR V2 which will come with the radio. Once that is installed and running, and the radio is connected to the network, then the computer display will show you everything you need.

If you are using a MAC, then you will need Dogpark or similar.

HTH

Tim
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2018
    What Tim said.
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    That's why i am asking.  I am just going to be using a separate monitor to view the same thing that is on the front of 6400M too make it larger and easier to see.  Not using my pc monitor.   Guess i am not conveying it right.  I am getting confused.  Guess I could hook it to the HP all in one.

John.

• Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2018
    So, if you have an "M" model and the radio is connected to the network and has Internet access, you can update the radio from the radio itself.
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    OK.  Tim W4TME.  My M model is a ways off just ordered it about a week ago.  There is an Ethernet connection on the back of the 6400M.  That Cable from 6400M to my router.  HDMI cable to the monitor.  Am I correct.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2018
    Yes. 100%
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks Tim.  I applaud you for what you do.  I am trying to learn as much as I can before it gets here.  Age is 71.  The gray matter leaks a little at times.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2018
    Keep asking questions.  No harm in that.
  • Fred Abrams
    Fred Abrams Member
    edited June 2019
    My 6400M should ship soon (I hope) since I was asked for and sent the final payment. My desired mode of operation is to have the SDR screen appear on my large monitor in a window while I have other windows open on the same display (e.g. DX Watch and QRZ.com). I am assuming this can be done. It would be bad if the only way to get the display on the large screen is via the HDMI since I would have to switch between inputs rather than use mouse to put a window on top. Sometimes I operate (using my Flex 3000) with the DX Watch screen on top of a corner of the SDR display - am hoping I can still do this.
  • Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Tim, please comment on my speculation here:

The HDMI connection displays what is on the 6400M screen. You can't computer control (with mouse) anything on the HDMI produced screen. The M series is controlled by the 6400M front panel knobs and it's touch screen- or  the Flex control knob assembly?

Just wondering if this is close to correct..
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2018
    The HDMI output mirrors what is on the "M" model's display screen.  If you want to run the M model and have the display on a PC running Windows, you have to forego using the front panel and run SmartSDR for Windows on the PC.

SmartSDR only allows one client software package or device (like Maestro) to control the radio at one time.  A future enhancement to SmartSDR (no ETA) will allow multiple clients to operate the radio at the same time.
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Ok so,  my 6400M, i can use the touch screen on the front of the 6400M to move things around and do all of the stuff that the mouse does on the 6400 model.   is that how it is going to work.  When I change something on the 6400 M   the monitor will follow.?   

John
    KB4OIF
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    As Tim indicated, the HDMI output mirrors the 6400M's front screen.
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks.  Sorry if I ask too many questions Neil.  
  • Fred Abrams
    Fred Abrams Member
    edited January 2018
    Still has not answered my basic question. I would like to be able to see the 6400M screen on the larger monitor screen while controlling the 6400M from its own controls and screen AND being able to control other windows on the PC/large monitor. I understand that the 6400M HDMI output will give me a larger version of what's on the small screen but using the HDMI output will make it the only thing displayed on the large monitor. At present my Flex3000 display is on my large screen in a window and I control it using a DJ controller. All  want to do on the computer monitor is have a larger version of what is showing on the 6400M display without that being the ONLY thing displayed. Final payment made for 6400M but haven't seen shipping info yet. On the edge of my seat!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited January 2018
    What you want to do is to have two clients, the radio itself and SmartSDR for Windows, operating the radio at the same time.  You cannot do that with the current version of the software.  It is slated to be a future feature of SmartSDR.
  • Fred Abrams
    Fred Abrams Member
    edited January 2018

If I understand correctly - displaying the screen on the 6400M on my monitor in a window (not via HDMI) will also disable all of the control switches and knobs on the 6400M face. If so, do you know anyway to mix two HDMI inputs on the same monitor such as split screen? If not this is a real step backwards from my flex3000 operation.

I do not want to operate the 6400M using mouse, I only want to see the display in a larger format while still having other displays on the monitor at same time.

• N7BCP
    N7BCP Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    A device like this might give you what your asking for: https://www.amazon.com/SPLITMUX%C2%AE... This one is pricey but there are others for much lower.
  • Fred Abrams
    Fred Abrams Member
    edited January 2018
    Found a number of such devices that allow display two HDMI inputs on a single monitor and allow scaling the windows in which each is displayed. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Now if I would just get shipping notice that the 6400M is on its way.
  • Mike J
    Mike J Member ✭✭
    I see this was posted in 2018. I am guessing you can display both the screen on the radio and SmartSDR on a computer at the same time as I can. I haven't mastered that yet.
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Mike, the HDMI port lets you view what is on the M screen. You can operate the front panel and SmartSDR at the same time using MultiFlex, but SmartSDR will be controlling a different panadapter than the front panel.

You cannot use SmartSDR to mirror the front panel.

• KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭

yes. Thanks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.