Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Spinning the VFO knob on the Maestro

David Marotti
David Marotti Member ✭✭
I have a Maestro attached to my 6500, and I love using the VFO A knob on the Maestro.  It is so well balanced that it makes spinning it very easy; especially when you are in a rush to get up or down the band collecting contacts.  However I noticed that when I do this (spin the knob), I hear the radio clicking inside the unit.  My question is: am I potentially doing damage to the radio by spinning the knob like this?  I know I can double tap the screen and accomplish the same thing, but I prefer the knob.  However I won't spin it any longer if this could potentially have a damaging effect.  Does anyone know for sure?

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    No damage at all. The relay clicks are just ATU or preselectors.

Ria

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited January 2018
    When the radio panadapter gets to the point where it is showing out of band signals the bandpass filters are bypassed, hence the relay clicks.

Dave wo2x

• David Marotti
    David Marotti Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thank you Ria and Dave!  Good to know. :)  Just wanted to be sure I didn't damage anything.

• John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Is anyone making a aftermarket know for the Maestro?

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I bet 73cnc.com will have something in the future if demand is there. The knob can not be too heavy or it will damage the VFO encoder.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited January 2018
    John, the two vfo knobs on the Maestro are weighted. Not as heavy as a larger knob you would find on an FT10000D but decent for their size. I give mine a good spin at 1 kHz stepping and it will go quite a bit. Do tou have the Maestro and if so, what do you not like about the knobs? Haven’t heard you on the air. 73 Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.