Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is there any compelling reason to have "both" a Maestro and a 6600M?

KC9EI - Dave
KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
Additionally, I ordered the 6600M but travel a "lot" in a motor home, sometimes staying at hotels as well.

Answers

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It really comes down to whether you enjoy operating your Flex remotely via a Pad, laptop, or the Maestro.  Any of these will suffice for remote operation. 
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Makes sense but... Is there anything the Maestro can do remotely that my laptop can't do?
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Knobs
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    When I’m traveling I tend to take an iPad using SmartSDR for iOS. My Maestros (I have one for each QTH) spend much of their time remoting to a radio elsewhere in the QTH, though I often have one on my desk at work using SmartLink to remote home. How an M-model and a separate Maestro work together is presently you can use one or the other to access the radio. That will change, but what it will look like is in flux. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Not that I'm a where of, although the Maestro does have a string of jacks on the back which makes it convenient for connecting external speakers, key, line in, line out, two microphones, phones, PTT, etc.  I'm sure there's also a way to make these connections to a laptop, but not sure how convenient it would be.   Laptop users... weigh in!
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited January 2018
    I used my Maestro from a hotel way back before SmartLink existed. 

WiFi from laptop to my Verizon hotspot since hotel WiFi was ****. Ethernet from the Maestro to laptop. I used OpenVPN software to set up the laptop as a client back to the home network and bridge over to the Maestro. Worked great, had access to the radio, logging, auto tuner, amp, etc.

Today with SmartLink you would just use WiFi for Maestro to radio via SmartLink and the laptop back to the network using TeamViewer for remote desktop. You can alternately use a VPN server /client setup if you want to logging software and other software locally on the laptop remote.

The only thing you cannot do at this time is have the DAX audio outside of the local network, so for digital modes you would need to run the digital software on the home computer and access it via remote desktop.

Dave wo2x

• Bill - W9KKN
    Bill - W9KKN Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    At some point, multi-client support has been discussed...not sure if it's still in the works, but in theory, SO2R/4V would be really cool if not overwhelming.
  • Gary Johnson
    Gary Johnson Member
    edited January 2018
    Isn't Multi-Client 2 operators on one radio??
  • Robert Kearbey
    Robert Kearbey Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    New to it but the maestro sounds so much better and everything is easier but people like Kc9ei are very good at laptop rout
  • Robert Kearbey
    Robert Kearbey Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    How can both transmit at same time?
  • Dwayne_AB6A
    Dwayne_AB6A Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I have a 6600 and Maestro but am finding most of my time is spent in windows at my station or remote mainly due to the fact that digital modes require decode software. As soon a you add in antenna control software, antenna sofware switches or related 3rd party tools, local or remote computer control becomes a requirement.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    This post seems to be about having an M series radio with the Maestro on the front and a second Maestro.  This seems like a mistake to me.   I've always thought the Maestro should not be on the front of the radio but portable.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    They cannot. With version 3 multiflex you can have two different clients connected and using the radio simultaneously. Transmit is on a first come first served basis. The client who is not transmitting will get an indication the other client is transmitting. Remember all clients need to use the same SmartLink account. You should “lay down the ground rules” with your guests before they use your radio. Dave wo2x
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    If you could change your order to be non-M radio and separate Maestro you would have what you need.
  • Dwayne_AB6A
    Dwayne_AB6A Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    On a side note, if you were looking for a radio to share ops with, I personally would prefer the non M version radio together with two Maestro's. Provides you more placement options for the radio itself.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hi Dave,

Do you remember if it is possible to register 2 accounts.  say yours and a guest account to the same radio?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2019
    You can have two accounts but the radio can only be registered to one at a time. When registering the radio it requires a local PTT or local cw closure to complete registration. I use the DLI Web Switch Pro with two DLI AC relays. One for remote power on and the other connected to the PTT connection. I believe you have something similar set up at your remote station. 73 Dave wo2x
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2019
    I have a 6600 and two Maestros. One for use around the house and the other in my office at work. In the shack I use SmartSDR for Windows as I have a 50” 4K monitor so screen real estate is not an issue. Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.