Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Question about PGXL, SWR, and power output

Mark K5XH
Mark K5XH Member ✭✭

Please excuse me from asking if this has already been covered or Flex has not released the specs yet (I can't find them if they have).

If my 20M antenna has a SWR of 1.4:1 what can I expect the max PGXL output to be?

In other words does anyone know what the effect of SWR has on the output? The PGXL manual only says that the amp will protect itself against high SWR.

Thanks,

Mark K5XH

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2018
    This is not an amp issue.  It is physics.
    http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/SWRLOSS.htm

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I think he is asking if the amp starts roll-back of output at 1.4 : 1. When does the amp protection start kicking in?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2018
    The amp easily handles 2:1 and in some cases depending on the nature of the complex impedance presented to it, 3:1 so there is no need to reduce power.  The amp protection circuitry is incredibly fast and if detects where a threshold is exceeded, then the amp will protect itself.
  • Mark K5XH
    Mark K5XH Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thank Tim and Neal. Neal is correct - I was wondering if the amp would reduce the power at modest mismatches. My antennas aren't perfect!
  • Mark K5XH
    Mark K5XH Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thank Tim and Neal. Neal is correct - I was wondering if the amp would reduce the power at modest mismatches. My antennas aren't perfect!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.