Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How can I update PowerSDR for the Flex 6400M if all I have is a wireless internet connection or hots

Wayne
Wayne Member ✭✭
I preordered a flex 6400M but now Im not so sure. The only internet connection I have is a supplied hotspot from either my tablet or my cell phone to my computer via wireless connection.

How can I update the provided SDR Software when I get the 6400M if this is the only way I can get internet?

Why doesn't flex provide a wireless connection ability instead of out dated hard wired internet?

Thanks in advance.

Kd5spx

Answers

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You will need to Download the Latest "SmartSDR "  from the FLEX WEB site or bring it over from another computer on a Thumb drive or what ever to a computer on the same network as the FLEX 6400M  then using SmartSDR update to the new version. 

I myself would never run my Flex radio server (6700 in my case)  on a Wireless connection just because of the congestion that is on WiFi but if your heart is set on a wireless connection you can purchase a Wireless to Wired Ethernet device sold by many manufactured like the  netgear https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Universal-Ethernet-Adapter-WNCE2001/dp/B003KPBRRW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&...  these do work pretty good.

You can also run your PC that you normally use Wireless to your wireless Router then plug the Radio only into your Computer this would let you do what you want.

The Radio itself Doesn't need to be on the internet UNLESS your going to run it remotely using SmartSDR 2.0 or later.

This is just my opinion but maybe it will be helpful

73's and Happy New year

Bret
    WX7Y

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Others have indicated that unless they get the flex connected to the flex radio server it does not get registered and the updated software wont stay in the radio. Living out where I live the ONLY OPTION for internet I have is through my cell phone hotspot shared with my computers.

I guess you pay a price for peaceful living out of the city....

Wayne
    Kd5spx
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am pretty sure the only time you have to register the Radio on the Internet is if you want to run "SmartLink" which is the remote software to use OUTSIDE over the WAN that is built into SmartSDR version 2 but is NOT necessary for Local or LAN use.   

in any case they would never build a radio that can't be used with out the internet especially the "M" models.

73's 
    Bret
    WX7Y
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    That's 100% incorrect.

For starters, the 6400 will come with 2.1 out of the box. There is no other version that will work on it. So you are on the latest major version anyway.

Secondly, the radio stays licensed with whatever version was last loaded on it and successfully verified. The license is only verified with the FlexRadio servers once. Once it downloads the license entitlement there is no need to get on the Internet ever again unless you want to run SmartLink. Software wise, you will always have a working radio, period, end of story.

As far as your wireless connection goes you have two options to get software updates:

1. Connect your radio direct to your PC via Ethernet (direct connect), and connect the PC's WiFi to your phone hotspot. Download the SmartSDR software from the FlexRadio website, install it. When you select the radio the first time it will prompt you to update the radio.

OR 

2. Get a router that can use your phone hotspot. They used to be called cradlepoint but there are tons of them now. Get one with a wired ethernet port. Connect the Flex to the wired and connect the PC to the other port. Then run SmartSDR as usual.

Incidentally, SmartLink will not work on cellular 4G LTE or 3G connections. This is because wireless carriers do carrier grade NAT, which means that SmartLink can't punch a hole through the firewall.

Ria
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks, I found that I can use Internet connection sharing (ICS) connect to my phone hot spot by wireless then use ICS and connect an Ethernet cable from my internet connected computer to another device(currently another laptop) via Ethernet cable and now I am typing this message on the laptop using the shared connection from my other computer, so I should be able to connect the Ethernet cable to the 6400M and then update the SDR Software the same way.

ICS should be my solution, when Im done all I have to do to get back is uncheck the ICS box for the computer wireless adapter so its not shared.

Happy camper again .....

Now just have to wait for the 6400M ...

Wayne
    Kd5spx
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    You also need Internet access for the radio itself when you upgrade major versions so that the license can be verified. Of course, this will be some undetermined point in the future and not right now. And it is also a one time event per major version. 

Ria
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The FLEX-6400M and FLEX-6600M come with the latest version SmartSDR pre-loaded and authorized at the factory.  It is a stand alone radio out of the box.  You only need Internet access to take advantage of software updates or SmartLink WAN remote operation.  
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I connected easily via Verizon 4G LTE.......
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    In preparation for the arrival I have put in place a TPLINK AC750 Travel Router which is operated with the switch in Shared Hotspot mode which takes my wireless smartphone supplied internet hotspot and shares it through the Ethernet Jack to a newly aquired ASUS AC-RT68U router which is providing 2 wireless networks of 2.4 and 5 Ghz and 4 Ethernet ports creating my Home Network. The AC750 Ethernet cable is connected to the AC-RT68U Internet port providing a seamless high speed 4G LTE Internet to both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz wireless nets and the 4 Ethernet ports which are currently connected to my main Radio Desktop, another Acom desktop for my other radio, and an Ethernet cable awaiting the Flex as well as an extra cable to connect to a switch for future expansion or connection to the Mac Mini 2013 running my Flex-3000 with KE9NS Software. It all works great just awaiting notice for the trip to Austin to pick up my Flex6400M. The Acrylic cover is also awaiting the 6400M in its box, super fast shipping by flex ... next day!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.