Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Squelch

Robert -- N5IKD
Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
What would it sound like if I could grab the bottom of the receiver slice and drag it above the noise floor?
Tagged:
12 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Interesting suggestion. Currently a left-drag changes bandwidth. But a right-drag could be programmed to set a minimum signal level for squelch action.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    edited July 2015
    Since there is already a widget at the bottom, it may be easier to click and drag from anywhere inside the receiver slice box. If you drag left or right you change the frequency, if you drag up or down then you are adjusting the squelch threshold.
  • K4EAR
    K4EAR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    I would not think a sliding a mouse would have the granularity of a slider, clicking one step at a time. The "right-drag" would have to lock the probable movement of the frequency of the slice. Experienced millennial gamers may have the "touch", but not this old ****.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    edited December 2018
    They would need to work on the user interface, but I thought it would be neat to indicate the squelch threshold by raising the highlighted area of the receiver slice.
  • Cosmos (Alan KB5CUS)
    Cosmos (Alan KB5CUS) Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    GeeZzz...  How many years does it take to get a needed feature....   LOL
  • Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Yea really..... dang $30 CB has a Suelch!

and I DO like the way to control it..... nice thinking.
  • Michael McGinty
    Michael McGinty Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Excellent suggestion. I was going to suggest a squelch option as well. It's very nice when you're waiting for a net to start or having a conversation with people with strong sigs. I very much like Roberts suggestion for the user interface.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I really like your idea but to tell you the truth, I really don't care how it is implemented as long as I get a working all mode squelch.....  I've been waiting for over two and a half years now.....   I have 8 slices and no squelch.....
  • SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited April 2017

I'm sorry to be the Debby Downer here, but I'm not so sure that the 'visual squelch level' is a great idea.

I think the squelch function can only operate well if it is loosely coupled to the pan-adapter signal. For example, changing the pan-adapter averaging slider should not affect squelch operation. However, if the squelch level is set relative to the pan-signal, people will expect squelch to break according to the signal they see on the screen.

It seems to me Flex will save complaints if the squelch control is a simple slider, off to the side with a dBm level.

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    agreed.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Any comment from FLEX as to when we might expect a multi-mode squelch?   A two and a half year wait has been more than patient I would think for what every radio I've ever used comes with on day one....
  • Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Tim just said it's #1315 in line.....
  • George Fenwick
    edited December 2016
    It's been assigned a number which bears no relationship to its place in line! In Huntsville Steve told me, "not too hard, maybe the next release. ". As it didn't come this week, I hope for the next one!
  • Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

I never thought about using Squelch to much because I've always been in conversations or dxing.  Now that I have more time on my hands and listening to nets that are not heavily attended the white background noise is starting to get to me!!  Further up the list here Dave mentions that Tim says it #.....

My question is, "Will this three year old suggestion be implemented in Ver 2 ?"

Cheers from the South Coast of Canada !!

Kevin, Va3KGS

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2017
    "My question is, "Will this three year old suggestion be implemented in Ver 2 ?"

Any question of this type related to if and when a particular feature will be in a future release of software will always receive the same answer.  Which is..

It is the policy of FlexRadio Systems not to comment or speculate about future products or software features before their release is imminent.  

The impetus behind this policy as it relates to software features is that we employ a "just in time" methodology for working on features; meaning we do not do long range planning.  And if a feature is planned and coded for a release, it has to pass alpha testing before we have a level of confidence that the feature will be included in a particular release.  The other reason we refrain from doing long-range planning is that priorities can change within the long-term window and that can lead to unrealized expectations, so we no longer do that.  

I can tell you with great confidence that the feature is in the database and we know it is high on some customer's wish lists.

• Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017

Thanks Tim for your response.

Regards

Kevin

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Tim,
    If or when it ever does get implemented, please be sure to do a complete job and have the squelch work in all modes.

As for casual listening, I either use my Flex along with a 3rd party application that adds squelch functionality to the 6000 or in many cases, I just flat out use a different radio.

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Fix this one too.
  • Alan Cerniglia
    edited December 2017
    I hope that little button labeled Squelch is for SSB  & other modes......       imageimage
  • Fred Brandeberry
    Fred Brandeberry Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    3 years plus is a long time to wait. My hearing is bad enough without having to unnecessarily list to white noise. Guess it does not affect sales .
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    You don't need to wait that long,, just use FRstacks, it works well, or keep the ACT-T lower.
  • James Whiteway
    edited December 2017
    Looks to be for setting up FM repeaters in memory channels.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    It sure would be nice to have an "All Mode Squelch" in SmartSDR....Please :)
  • Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    YES all mode squelch....PLEASE
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I find squelch for amplitude modulated signals not to be very usable. Squelch works well with constant carrier modes, such as FM. A better way to eliminate noise is with a good audio DSP. I use a bhi DSP filter and can eliminate 90% or better the noise in and between spoken modulation.
  • K5ROX
    K5ROX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Don't like squelch don't use it!

Its been promised to those that want it for years now.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    It was on the Flex servay, It will depend on the demand for it.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Having a Squelch is just another tool in the tool box just like a Notch filter or Noise Blanker and gives the user more “FlexAbility” :)
    I hope to see it added in the near future.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I asked for squelch several times over the years and stopped asking because of all of the flack I got from everyone saying they don't use squelch and didn't want time spent on programming it.   I eventually gave up.  It is a pity having 8 slices and no squelch.  I was also told by staff that they didn't think it was a needed feature but that reply was removed from the forum.  I've used 3rd party apps to provide a psuedo squelch but they aren't the best and its just one more app to have running and have to tend to.  Being able to provide this function directly from SSDR just seems like the right thing to do but obviously I'm wrong in my thinking.

Go back and look thru a bunch of previous postings on the squelch topic.....

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I don't remember it ever being promissed.  Several years ago, I remember someone at the top of the food chain at Flex saying it would not be added.  That post was removed shortly after being posted. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.