Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Why only 4 panadapters with the 6600?

Jerry W4UK
Jerry W4UK Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

I would assume the number of simultaneous slices would depend on software, so why is the 6600 limited to 4 when the 6700 can have 8?

I am sitting here considering whether the 6600 can replace my 6700. I don't use most of the 6700's exclusive features often, but I like knowing they are there,

Answers

• Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    CPU power that limit slice number , bigger FPGA and CPU = $$$$
    not forgot that on 6x00  all data is crush into radio ,not in PC  like competitor 
  • Gary Johnson
    Gary Johnson Member
    edited December 2017
    From a contest point of view having 4 slice receivers covers 6/10/15/20 early in the day and as 6/10 drop out adds 40/80 for night/Dusk and 160 when 15 drops out.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    From what I was told, the 6600 was designed to be a lower cost radio with two SCUs. So it may not have the full processing power for 8 slices/pans. The 6700 is your 8 slice radio. 
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I also agree with Ria.  The design architecture and processing power of the 6600M probably cannot support 8 slices.

Personally I see no need to replace your 6700 with a 6600M.  Consider.... The loss of one transverter port isn't a big deal because the 6700's 2M capability can easily double as a 2nd port transverter IF.  As for the 7th Order Filters, if you happen to find yourself in situations where you need close RF proximity 7th order contest filtering, there are numerous after-market companies that sell add-on band filters.  As for the 6600M's built-in screen, odds are the 6600M will probably be used in a shack environment most of the time so what would you rather view SmartSDR on; an 8 inch display or a large screen PC monitor?  And of course the screen on the 6600M cannot be disconnected and used remotely, but the 6700/Maestro combination can.  And while some see the 6600M having the advantage of not needing to be connected to a PC, you can do the exact same thing with the 6700 connected directly to the Maestro.  And finally the biggie, the 6700's 8 slices.  Granted I don't use 8 slices all the time, but I really enjoy having the ability to click on a Profile and monitor activity on 8 different bands at the same time.  This has allowed me to catch many short band openings I would have otherwise missed. 

Each to their own of course, but I much prefer the flexibility of the 6700/Maestro combination over the capabilities of the 6600M.  
  • Gary Johnson
    Gary Johnson Member
    edited November 2018
    I guess Flex did a study of peoples operating habits and decided that few ever used more than 4.  I have a 6600M on order, am happy with 4x as much visibility of the bands as I have now with my Elecraft K3 and hope to like the 7th order preselectors  on the contest bands.  And please don't forget, I am not tied to an 8 inch screen.  HDMI port out to 43 inch UHD monitor WITHOUT my involving Microsoft in the process.  I am happy to let Flex deal with Mr Gates.
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I've been a fan of Flex since the 1500 and I don't ever remember Flex during a customer study or survey, although I have no doubt they take into consideration customer comments.

I've never had a problem displaying SmartSDR through my PC.  And modern graphics cards can drive multiple large screen 4k monitors via HDMI and other popular video connections.

I'm not knocking the 6600M.  I'm sure you'll be happy with it.  Just making the point that the 6700 still has plenty going for it. 

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2017
    The bottom line is the 6600 replaces the 6500.  There are some upgrades, such as the 2nd SCU, dual XVTR ports, and improved RMDR, but the core features, slices and panadapters are the same as the 6500.  The CPU and FPGA have been sized for this requirement, but also have enough processing headroom for new features and capabilities.
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    "...only 4 panadapters.." 

LOL!

I bet 99% of operators can't keep TWO slices straight on their screens.

Who needs all these slices? I almost never use my second slice.

In my opinion, the 6300 is the best radio made by Flex. 

Actually, I would like a 6300 light, call it a Flex 6100 with:

-no PA (maybe 5W out) and no tuner. 

-One slice, two slices, would not matter. 

-Runs dead silent, with no FANs in the box at all.

Could direct drive a 1500W LDMOS amp with 2 watts. 

Happy Holidays ALL!

Btw, nice job on the 6300 FLEX!!, mine has been running continuously for ~2 years now. Irritating little ADC fan and all..

Cheerz,

Rob

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2017
    The ADC is not cooled by a fan.  That would be the CPU and FPGA.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    If you rag chew with the same 5 guys every night then one slice will do. However I feed a lot of stuff into my computer including CW skimmer and WSJT. It’s nice to see what’s on.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I am really looking forward to the second SCU for FT8.  I have several antennas and its really hard to A/B antennas with this mode.  With the second SCU I can put one antenna on a separate instance of WSJT-X and watch the decodes roll in on two antennas with different angles of radiation.
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Some people prefer to only deal with one slice at a time and that's fine, but those who enjoy multi-tasking, they can easily find uses for several slices.  I typically have 6 or 8 slices operating at the same time.  Depending on the time of day or night I have several profiles set up to watch PSK31/FT8 activity on multiple bands, SSTV on 20M, a SSB Net or two, general QSO's on 17M, a slice on 6M to catch those occasional rare openings, and normally a slice to roam around the CW portions of the bands.  I have my Flex Control center button programmed to jump from slice to slice.  I really enjoy having this capability.   
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    @Tim - gotcha. Never cracked mine open, just took a guess. Really amazingly engineered radio especially from a reliability standpoint. 

@Ria - how the heck are you. Long time no talk to! 

I do none of those things you mentioned but I can check out what's on every band in about 20 seconds using one or two slices. You figure at any given time, only 1-2 bands are actually open...rarely 3 if you keep dropping down (80m 160m).

I suspect if you took a poll of all FLEX users and they honestly answered, only a small percentage would say they use more than one slice.

Just a suspicion.

• Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    You would....

Just kidding. ;)

HNY
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    On the flip side, some hams could get away with a crystal controlled transmitter with one crystal! :D
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    "On the flip side, some hams could get away with a crystal controlled transmitter with one crystal!" 

I would chip in money to buy a few of the guys I hear on 40 meters one of those.

Lets make the crystal somewhere in the middle of 27 mhz.
  • Jerry W4UK
    Jerry W4UK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

Thanks, Marc. Which FPGA is used in the 6600?

Jerry W4UK

• Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    i knot 6700 have something like  XC6VLX130T-1FF484C  around 1,000$ each ( CND)

as for 6600 not knot not have radio on hand for a tear down ;-)
    and dont expect i remove fan for see part number ,want to keep my radio on warranty 
    but i bet a 10$  is likely a  XC6VLX75T-1FF484C
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Like a Hot Water 16?

My first rig. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Hi Rob,

To be totally honest it's been a mixed bag with me. 

I am not as active here much because I am working on a major work project. Thankfully everyone is off next week. 

I got my DXCC on 160
    I got digital DXCC
    The SSB results for WAE contest are in and I'm officially in the winner's box for North America

Oh, and I'm moderating the SDR forum at HRU:
    http://hamradiouniversity.org/

I'm also running for District 2 chair for YLRL, ballots are out now. Not sure how I will do. BUT District 2 needs a fresh voice. I've been doing the writeups for harmonics (newsletter) anyway so why not. 

I blog:
    http://n2rj.com

I'm also some nights on 3785ish. I also work FT8 during morning grayline on 80 and 160. Been hitting a lot of Japan and other Asia lately. 

On the flex front I've been helping them find the bugs in the PGXL and new SmartSDR versions. It's been interesting so far. These new products are really shaping up to be something exceptional! 

I guess catch you on air sometime.
    Ria
    N2RJ
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    The Hot Water 101 was my first rig, no... actually it was my 2nd.  I started with an Ameco AC-1 kit built in 1967.  A mighty 7-watts of DX busting power! :)
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    HOLY COW, you're a Professional Ham. Do you also have a real job, like one that pays a salary? ;)

Congrats on the DXCC on 160m - what was your antenna(s) for that quest?

Happy Holidays!

Rob

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.