Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Any recommendations for a headset/microphone combo for use with my laptop and SDR?

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2019
    Usually, anything will do as long as it is of decent quality.  I use a Yamaha CM-500 and get great results.
  • K7QDX
    K7QDX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I don't know Tim, my friend has a Flex 6500 and states that he's gotten more complements on his audio from a cheap $9.00 Chinese made headset then anything else. He even went out and bought a spare. 
  • Rick- K2RB
    Rick- K2RB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Check out the new Radiosport headset designed for computer use.by Arlan Communications.   I ordered one at Dayton and love it.  
  • N0AZZ
    N0AZZ Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Over the last 10 yrs. I have had several dozen headsets from $25 up the $400 range to date the best I have ever used are the Radiosport. I use one with my 6500 and the Maestro both also a second set for my Yaesu, Icom, Elecraft. radios just change the cables for what ever radio you have. Like above I have the cable for a laptop also.
  • Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Do Arlen attend Dayton? I will be there in2018
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited December 2017
    I will second the RadioSport Traveller headset. Lightweight and designed with the new style combined TRRS connector found on newlaptops. I give it two thumbs up! Dave wo2x
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Hear here on the cheap side of headsets. I am still using an old radio shack head set and mic with a C-Medis USB ported sound card and it works great whether it's running through the Flex via the Dell laptop, or on skype or remotehams, it all works good, and I leave the EQ settings on the Flex the same as they normally are for "normal" mic input.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2017
    If money is not a factor and you want to buy the last set of headphones ever, get the Radiosport with the wide range condenser element.
  • Jim Runge
    Jim Runge Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    The Yamaha CM-500 is a great **** for the buck.  I use it with my Maestro remotely.
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Got the RadioSports Headset, much better than Brand H
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Here I use the new lightweight RS50SL Radiosport headset.  It has the right angle 3.5mm Mic and Phone plugs that plug directly into the Maestro.  There is a nice quality PTT switch built into the headset cord also..  but i prefer my footswitch plugged into the Maestro.for PTT.  When I first bought the Headsets from Arlan Communications this particular headset was not even listed on their Website.  A quick check of the site found the below info:

RS50SL SuperLight Flex Bom-Mic headset

Finally a rugged, Boom-Mic headset with performance your QRP Elecraft KX2/KX3, ELAD FDM-Duo, Yaesu FT-817, or even FlexRadio Maestro deserves. Built using a rugged Flex Boom and an Aviation grade Electret-Condenser Mic. We've got a rugged attached cable with an InLine PTT switch just to make it easy to use.

• Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Senheiser PC7 or PC8 or Plantronics 'Black Wire'. They are all USB connections and work very well with my 6300. Often get reports of excellent audio whichever I am using. 

At around 25€ in Europe, they are cheap enough to experiment with. I set them up with the graphic equalizer to suit my rather husky voice.

Tim 
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I've been using my Heil Proset 7 (black) on my Maestro and with my MacBook Pro (with an adapter). I've received many compliments on my audio.   The headset is heavy, but with the gel ear pads and top band padding you don't notice it much.  Great headset!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2017
    Jay . . . You using the electret element or the dynamic element. I would assume dynamic as I don't think you can bias an electret on a computer . . . Correct??
  • Rich - N5ZC
    Rich - N5ZC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    While the Yamaha CM-500 are not expensive (ie not cheap), they are probably the best value.  I went through this exercise about a year ago. 

They are light weight and fit around your ear, the ear cushions do not rest on your ear.  The heil's and radiosport headsets are heavy and there is quite a bit of compression, ie they are clamped on your head.

The mic works well with my 6700.  Be aware you need a stereo to mono 1/8" adapter for the mic in order for it to work with the flex.  I use a Heil Yaseau mic adapter between the mic and connection on the front of the 6700.

If you have shack noise issues the heil's and radiosports may be the way to go.

I understand KOSS has come out with a new gaming headset and are similar to the Yamaha's.

You can't go wrong withe CM-500's.  If you don't like them you can probably sell them and recover a good portion of your original cost.

Rich - N5ZC

• Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I've received many excellent audio reports operating remotely on Windows laptops and tablets with the Yamaha CM500.   Light, comfortable and inexpensive, it is hard to match in performance and value.  PCs and Windows tablets normally provide DC bias at the inputs for common condenser microphones. However, in situations where proper DC bias is not available, the CM500 includes a separate dongle with batteries to provide the necessary bias voltage. 

Good luck and 73, 
    Larry KB1VFU

• Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Dynamic is correct.  No phantom power for an electret.
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Jay.  I will be getting my Flex 6400M in April from what I have been told.  What adapter are you using with your Pro7.  From what I read, there is one but only 8 inches long.   
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    If you want to be wireless the Logitech H600 and H800 work very well.  You can use bluetooth or the the USB dongle.  I prefer them over my Yamaha CM500.  Lighter, fold up smaller and more comfortable to wear.  They even make a model that will pair with the Apple iPad/iPhone.
  • Gary F
    Gary F Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Heil ProSet media is an excellent choice.
  • Gary Johnson
    Gary Johnson Member
    edited March 2018
    Have several Heil Proset Plus headsets that my really nice brother sent to me - FREE!!!  OK I paid shipping..   Which Flex adapter do I need to get to connect to 6600M??
  • Stephen Hawkins NG0G
    Stephen Hawkins NG0G Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Good question.  I have a Heil Proset and an adapter for my current FT-1000MP MkV Field.  I am trying to find out if I need a new adapter.

• KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I have a pro 7 headset Heil.  Posted a few days ago looking for an adapter, but don't see any replies. 6400M will be here in due time.

• Rich - N5ZC
    Rich - N5ZC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I'm using a Yaesu adapter that is plugged in the front of my 6700, works like a champ.

Rich - N5ZC
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Does the 6700 use the same adapter as the new 6400M?  The micro jack is a 1/8 inch phono plug that goes to the back of the Flex??
  • KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I’m getting Radiosport with the wide range condenser element. .For 6400M I tried every headset almost made being almost deaf I need use Ampifier in line
    Heil get feed back very and other s
    I used a friends RadioSport no feed back and my amp sounds powerful and voices are very natural
    I don’t under the following of Heil lots my friends complain about feed back and broke wires and connections it’s like Don’t Ask or Tell with Heil .
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I've had great luck with the RadioSport headsets.  I have several and also have sets for my vintage S-Line gear.

You really did the right thing by trying options until your needs we best met.

I've also had good luck, with an adapter circuit I purchased, with a David-Clark and a Peltor aviation headset.  I would not recommend set out to use a aviation headset, but since I had them I wanted to attempt to make it work.

Steve
    K9ZW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.