Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro Storage

Doug - W3UB
Doug - W3UB Member ✭✭
edited July 2019 in Maestro
What is the best recommendation for storing the Maestro for a few months?

Where I am located, the power is guaranteed to be off a few times this winter. If you leave the unit plugged in, every time the power comes back on, it boots up!

And then stays that was for the duration. No screen saver or power down!

If you leave it unplugged, you run the risk of the internal battery running down and rendering the unit inoperable.

Considering this issue, it seems like some sort of auto-power down upon some idle time period would be a very good idea.

/Doug

Answers

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I'd be interested in knowing about long term storage as well.

Having the unit power up when plugged in is bothersome.  My Maestro cycles on every time we get a short power outage, and if I don't notice it my Maestro might be on for days.  If possible, I'd like to see FRS fix this.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2017
    The screen used in the Maestro is not susceptible to display burn-in.  Leaving it powered on for long durations is OK.  The Maestro I use for support and testing stays on 7x24x365 and I use one of the first ones ever manufactured.  I leave it powered by the AC power adapter and use the battery only when needing to test use cases that require mobility.
  • Doug - W3UB
    Doug - W3UB Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Understand the FRS position, but I as a customer disagree with the idea of leaving it on long term, or having it turn itself on after a power event. There are multiple layers of design issues here, and they could be mitigated by a FW change to at least power down if not used.

Devices should not power on by themselves in this manner, nor should they be at risk of having an inaccessible battery discharge if left unpowered.

Just my two cents.

/Doug
  • Dennis Terry W4SG
    Dennis Terry W4SG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Doug, If it is a major concern get a small UPS to power the Maestro and it will not see the power failures and thus turn on.  Just my 2 cents.
    73, Dennis W4SG

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.