Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

5-Band DXCC on my Flex-6500!

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Last night I scored LOTW confirmation 100 on 80 Meters. This completes the 5BDXCC! Actually 7 bands, all of them from 80 to 10 except 12 Meters, where I only need 4 more to make it all 8 bands! Almost all of this since I got my Flex-6500 a little over 4 years ago. It has been such fun, and the 6500’s wonderful panadapter, great SSB Audio, ease of use, and simple interface for digital modes made it all come together. Thanks again, Flex for making the finest rigs available! Ken Wells - NM9P Sent from my iPad

Comments

• Bill Axelrod
    Bill Axelrod Member
    edited December 2017
    Congrats Ken!  A significant achievement.  73...   Bill K3WA
  • Jim Richardson
    edited February 2019
    And to do that in 4 years, Outstanding.  It took me 53 years.  Hi Hi  I also enjoy my 6500.  73's and DX de Jim, k4vw
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Excellent, then I am glad I didn't bother you when you were calling dx on 80 meter  FT-8 yesterday evening.
  • Al Reeves
    Al Reeves Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    CONGRATS !!!!!!
  • James Whiteway
    edited December 2017
    Great!!!!!
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Awesome Ken. Greatest congrats! Peter K1PGV
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Congrats Ken, I had a blast acomlphishing 5 Band, with an IC-718 , 2 el quad, Zepp, DXLAB Suite and big amp
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Congratulations, Ken!  I can't do 80 due to lack of space for a proper antenna, but I've managed all other bands,40-10, since 2014 running just 100w into a vertical and for part of the time, a Hex-beam.

• Takeshi Yamada
    Takeshi Yamada Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Congratulations, Ken!  I am very glad to hear that as an another 6500 user for 4 years at the far east end.
  • Rick Ciotti W3DIY
    Rick Ciotti W3DIY Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Congrats!
    Making this happen via LOTW is an accomplishment, since many hams outside of the US do not participate in LOTW. I found 80M DXCC was especially difficult due to low DX activity. W3DIY
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Congrats Ken!
  • Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Congrat's Ken
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    It sure is tough getting all LOTW, but the percentage return is getting much better, especially among contesters and users of the new digital modes. I have 126 DXCC contacts on 12 Meters, but only 96 confirmed by lotw. Since I don’t have time to sort through lots of cards, I will just wait until I can find 4 more lotw dx on 12 Meters.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Hi Rick. You might try a simple inverted ‘L’ on 80, even if you need to bend it around a bit. You might be surprised.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Congrats Ken and I share your excitement when getting another DXCC band. Got my license in 2013 and 6 band DXCC so far but tough in a 98' x 110' city lot. Taken full advantage of the panadapter and multiple slices using S & P for new band/countries and DXCC will fall in place. I make time when there is a DXpedition and try to get them on multiple bands as you never know when we'll get another chance for that entity.
  • Rick Ciotti W3DIY
    Rick Ciotti W3DIY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I found Clublog OQRS to be helpful with confirmations from those new ones not using LOTW. Many will accept Paypal, which eliminates sending a QSL or greenstamps that could be lost in the postal system. Some required reminders, but a card was received...eventually. 

• Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    WOW Mike, only licensed four years and you've achived 6bdxcc, how cool is that! You've been busy my friend. Congrats to you too. I had 114 dxcc entities by card when I purchased my 6300 in 2014. Just before I traded the 6300 in June I am at 282 entities, 6bdxcc and 1074 band modes toward the Challenge. I love LOTW and Flex Radio. Can't wait to start using the 6600. Bouvet awaits!!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.