Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro Ethernet port on battery power

EA4GLI
EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in Maestro
I tried to run the Maestro with the internal battery connected with an ethernet cable but it didn't work. It wasn't until I plugged it to a 12v source that the ethernet port lights on the Maestro light up. The idea was to run the Flex with a lipo battery connected to the Maestro with an ethernet cable while I switch fuses on and off at home to try to find any device that might be producing unwanted electric noise in the band. Now I need to get sorbe lipo for the Maestro... Why wouldn't the ethernet port work on battery power? Is this by design or is my unit defective?

Answers

• Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited January 2019
    I had the same problem and they told me it's meant to be that way so on battery power now ethernet port only wireless LAN, I suppose it's meant to save power.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Thanks Rob for the feedback. That would make sense with a Flex radio with WiFi, but it **** today when I tried to connect the Maestro directly to the Flex radio on battery. Oh well....
  • Rob G6EIH
    Rob G6EIH Member
    edited January 2019
    I was at my local club about to show the guys how it worked only to find out the hard way, a quick email to Flex and they came back with the answer, on battery no wired ethernet port only wireless LAN. I just wish it was an option in the menu settings where it could be enabled or not.

• Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Doesn’t WiFi draw more power than Ethernet?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2017
    No.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2020
    This is by design.  In the latest versions of Maestro software, you cannot connect the Maestro to a wired Ethernet connection when running off of a battery bank (USB connector in the battery bay).  The Ethernet adapter draws the most power in the unit.  Testing indicated that this can lead to initialization and operational errors when running off of batteries resulting from voltage regulation issues, therefore the Ethernet interface is not available when running off of a battery.
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    It would be nice if this were mentioned in the instructions.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.