Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote from 200’ Below English Channel

KY6LA_Howard
KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Over the years I have remoted my Flex from 28 countries and lots of strange places like running across the beach at Mt Athos.SV/A or from airplanes at 40,000’ But today I did one for the record books I was on the Eurostar Train from London to Paris this afternoon when I decided to try making a QSO via SmartLink using SSDR for iOS on my iPad I called CQ on 20M SSB and quickly got a response.. I was about 200’ under the English Channel traveling at over 200MPH Then I went to FT8. Again Q’s. image Thank you Flex and Marcus. This issooo Cool.

Comments

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    You know, I've got a new iPad and the new software on my 6500. I think you finally convinced me to get the app and join the movement!
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Now that IS cool.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    And there aren't any bubbles on the panadapter.  Fantastic!
  • Jay - AJ6AZ
    Jay - AJ6AZ Member
    edited December 2017
    I love that.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

What a wonderful story!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

Jim, K6QE

• Geoff
    Geoff Member
    edited June 2020
    Trains don't travel at 200mph in the tunnel!
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Really neat feat!
  • Jeff
    Jeff Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Good point!  Within the Channel Tunnel, a reduced speed of 160 kilometres per hour (100 mph) applies for safety reasons.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    oops, howar.d
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    wasn't he saying 200 feet below the channel not 200mph....
  • Geoff
    Geoff Member
    edited December 2017
    No. 200' under the channel at over 200mph!
  • Pat W5VY
    Pat W5VY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    All that is cool Howard but, were you standing on your head?
    Pat - W5VY
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    One cool fish finder.
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Yeah, you're right, missed that part....
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    iPad in a plastic bag to keep it from getting wet, I assume? :-) Peter K1PGV
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

it was dry inside the train but I did use a plastic bag over the iPad when I was on the Zodiac landing in Mt Athos in Sept 2015

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

BTW... I stand corrected

Along the current route of the Eurostar service, line speeds are 320 kilometres per hour (200 mph) except within the Channel Tunnel, where a reduced speed of 160 kilometres per hour (100 mph) applies for safety reasons ( Mainly due to lower quality British Rail Construction.)

Either way it was still the deepest and fastest I have ever done a QSO on Land(/) albeit I have done QSO at 600 MPH @ 40,000' flying from San Diego to Dayton and 200MPH @10,000' flying to Visalia.

Flex just makes it so easy.

• Reggie
    Reggie Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

How do you do FT8 using your iPad?

Reggie

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I use parallels access emote desktop for FT8.
  • Reggie
    Reggie Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Thanks.  I was hoping there was a new FT8 app that worked with SSDR for iOS.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.