Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

really not easy to buy a Flex today

13»

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Ok James,,do you work 40m?  that is another way to do it,,just wait a year or so till they just stock them.
  • James Whiteway
    edited December 2017
    Yes, 80 and up! And thanks for the encouraging words!
    :-) ( my radio is already bought and paid for.)
  • Mark  K1LSB
    Mark K1LSB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Neal, you keep referring to "postmortems" ... I must've missed it, but who died?
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I suspect in the future FlexRadio will NOT be offering equipment for sale before it is sitting on the shelf ready to ship. FlexRadio has the reputation of being the BEST radio you can buy. Unfortunately, as delays continue, they are slowly earning an additional reputation as well. Most of the folks responding to these threads already have a FlexRadio and are waiting for their new one. Some like me are waiting for their first one.

I for one specifically waited to order my dream radio, my first FlexRadio, a 6500. Matt could not tell me at the time that a new radio was coming out (being shown at Dayton) within days of my 6500 order. That would have spoiled the marketing secret and I certainly get that. In fact, I am grateful the order was slow walked because I now know I am going to love my 6600M even more. 

However, I get a little tired of fellow hams asking me "Is FlexRadio is ever going to ship that new radio to you."  I personally know another Ham who is now going to purchase elsewhere because he no longer has confidence in FlexRadio to produce what/when they say they will. Let's face it, most Hams do not pre-order a not-yet manufactured piece of radio equipment.

I know another Ham who wanted to buy a "Certified Pre-Owned" FlexRadio but there are none because no one is trading theirs in until the new radios ship. He is now seriously considering and will probably buy a brand-X SDR radio instead. That's just lost sales that I personally know about. I'm sure FlexRadio is painfully aware of what this whole matter is costing them. 

I look forward to the promised announcement "early next week".
  • James Whiteway
    edited December 2017
    I think he means examining the process of introducing new radios that they are using and determining what they may or may not, be able to do to improve the process and avoid not meeting the customer expectations that they set when they announce a given product and its intended availability.  It's a common practice in a lot of different industries. It helps avoid problems in the future. It's a good suggestion in my opinion. (and it's probably one that FRS does try to do)
    james
    WD5GWY

• Mark  K1LSB
    Mark K1LSB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    James,

I know what he meant.  IMO the term 'follow-up analysis' would have been more appropriate than the term 'postmortem', as 'postmortem' is correctly used only to describe an examination of someone (or something) who has died.  Everyone knows that, and he knows it.  His repeated and intentional use of the term implies that there is at least some aspect of Flex's introduction of the new radios that has died (or is dying).  The implication was not lost on this observer, and I further submit that it did not have the desired effect.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Ok Neil, from what you said I think if you were in Gerald's shoes, things would be the same. From all I have read, These date changes are not a problem internal to flex, but due to things they can't control. Maybe the best thing to do is not to mention anything till the line is moving and products being finished. Could you imagine the noise that would create in the community?
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I am well aware of the autopsy/postmortem distinction in the medical world but in the IT world, we call them postmortems. I am just amazed how you guys can take something and drag it into fantasy land. However, if its what you enjoy, have at it!
  • Vinnie
    Vinnie Member
    edited December 2017
    This should have been better thought out by Flex seven months ago. My frustration is utilizing the trade in program and not having a radio to show for it at this point. I had to send my radio back within a specified time period. So not only did Flex take advantage of my radio, they profited on the interest I would have earned while not providing a product in a prudent time period.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.