Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

really not easy to buy a Flex today

Answers

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Hi Marc,

Sorry to see you're having this problem.  Hope it can be sorted out before the snow starts flying.

This looks like an intermittent solder problem. For commercial temperature range (0 to 85) the device should work down to 0c.

If I had a 6700 I would run the same test to isolate the problem to single radio or group.

Good Luck....

Tim // k3Tim
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    HI  when radio was on my bench i have  first check for bad solder 
    and find noting , but operate radio inside freezer always reproduce it ;-)

all part i see inside radio is commercial temp range  -40 to +85 so flex did a good engineering job 

Salvador    almost all electronic except final amplifier run on  regulated low voltage
    probabely  3.3V  and FPGA on 1.1V  so put 15 volt not really make it hotter 
    beter to put it on top of QRO  amplifier 
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    You are right. Just throwing ideas your way. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Mark  K1LSB
    Mark K1LSB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Price, please?
  • Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited February 2018
    As of today, Saturday December 9th, and with the standard 2-days off for Christmas, there are only 13 working days remaining in 2017. At the current pace of progress and with anticipated staff shortages as the holidays approach, is it realistic for any of us to still anticipate receiving our fine Flex 6400M/6600M rigs before the end of this year?  Shipping is not a delay factor for me, as I can be there in a matter of a couple hours to pick it up in person.  Thanks & 73.
  • Marc Lalonde
    Marc Lalonde Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    you read my mind ;-)
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Of course its not reasonable to receive anything this year after so many months of waiting.  Hopefully we will get something before the first quarter of 2018 has ended...  I think their estimated delivery date for "new" orders will actually be for orders placed 7 months ago.  
  • Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited February 2018
    I agree at this point 1Q18 makes a whole lot more sense.  With employees using up remaining vacation days to wrap Christmas into New Years' the last week of 2017 is going to be a ghost town at most industries. Ergo if it doesn't ship by the 22nd it likely won't ship until sometime in January (or Feb).  I placed my order 6/23 and was told I'm in the 1st production run, but that's still a vague statement.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Lol,,just sit back and relax,,, Steve expects an up date early in the week coming with pictures from the assembly line. That should be interesting?
  • Vinnie
    Vinnie Member
    edited December 2017
    It would be helpful if Flex actually put up some Youtube videos pertaining to the new radios in production. It would remove the mystery as we all await the birth. Similarly, like an ultrasound of the unborn. 
  • Vinnie
    Vinnie Member
    edited December 2017
    Hi Jim, I agree with your post.  There doesn't seem to be any credibility with the time lines that have been posted with regards to these new radios.  Its been one delay after the next. Who will get to the finish line first  with their SDR Flex or Icom to be determined.
  • Vinnie
    Vinnie Member
    edited December 2017
    The rigs are first being shipped to the beta-testers. I was given this information on Friday December 8th. How long that process takes one can only speculate. They must first ship the rigs to these testers. So that will take time as well.  I'm not so sure they can have these radio's delivered before the end of the year. So much for my holiday treat. Maybe a fancy drone can take its place. When the radios are shipped it will the standard delivery (unless you want to pay more for shipping) which will add additional time to these unexpected delays.
  • Mike Presnell
    Mike Presnell Member
    edited December 2017
    I do not agree with this at all.  45 days and no response is not acceptable.  Most of us bought "American" so we can expect better than this excuse.  When I sent my Kenwood 990 in for repair.. because of lightning, it was returned to me within a week.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I had my 6500 repaired with a one week turn around. I think that's good?
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Being a new Flex customer I find this whole deal just insane. I hear the Indians circling the wagon's just too many promised dates missed. IMHO I wouldn't bet on any radio's in the hands of owners until late Jan 2018. Really don't tell me what month they are going to ship, tell me what week then I might start believing.  
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    What Is all the fuss about, we herd about the new radios back during the planning stage, so it is not un common for such a large project to take a year till shipping. As we know, the new radios were supposed to be shipped by know. but parts were delayed getting to Flex,,this is totally out of their control. Again for the 5th time,,Steve said an update should be out early this week along with production pictures.
  • Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited February 2018
    The first any of us really heard of these new rigs (6400/6600 series) was when they were initially sprung on everyone at the Dayton Hamvention back on May 19th of this year.  Compare to the poor Icom loyalists, their new rig (7610) was first announced in late August of 2016. They've been waiting nearly 16 months, all the while with their manufacturer going underground after the SNAFU at Dayton (an issue was discovered), yanking the rig off the entire summer hamfest circuit and letting the rumors run wild.  By comparison, we've only been waiting a mere 7 months and just offhand I'd say our manufacturer has at least had the courtesy to remain in contact with us. It may be with only forward-looking vague & ambiguous statements and projecting "soft" dates again in ambiguous terms, but at least we can reach them and they respond. It may not be the response we're hoping to hear but it's sure a lot better than complete silence and booth staff at hamfests also saying nothing.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I can promise that the person who most wants the radios delivered (and paid for) is Gerald Youngblood. I can only imagine how much Flex wants these out by the end of the year, but, regardless, the prudent businessman will ship them when they are ready to be shipped.
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2018
    Bill, to a point, I agree with you. Except, when the radios were introduced at Dayton/Xenia, back in May and FRS started taking pre-orders the "antipicated" delivery time was "August/September" 2017. That would lead most people to believe they were already beyond the" planning stage" and fast approaching actual production. Otherwise, a 3-4 month time to availability to ship would be unrealistic. Also, Gerald stated early on that they had secured parts sources and production would ramp up quickly. That would indicate not only parts but, software development specific to the new radios was in full swing as well. And yet, those early estimates were missed, along with others later on. So, that is what all the fuss as you say, is about. Too much early hype, with no solid base in the reality of actual production and software development for the products being sold. That is what leads to the frustration expressed by buyers looking forward to getting their new radios in the timeframe (s) stated by FRS. ( me included) At the end of the day, I know FRS will deliver, a solid, well built, radio. (they always have) But, I wish there was a practical way for them to produce and deliver what they announce and take orders for, within the timeframe they give when taking pre-orders. James WD5GWY
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    So true, It is lost on some people, how badly Gerald and the team wants them shipped.
  • James Whiteway
    edited December 2017
    Bill, one difference between the Icom issue and FRS, is Icom never took pre-orders at the announcement of their new radio. And the dealers only started taking pre-orders a few months ago. So, there is a bit of difference in that regard.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I am sure you read the latest post from Gerald explaining in great detail what the delays have been? People just have to understand what he said,,,frustration? that's silly.
  • James Whiteway
    edited December 2017
    In what way is it silly? I take it you have never been frustrated by anything that you had no control over? Yet, believed/expected others to deliver on their statements. I understand what Gerald said. But, even those statements( on anticipated shipping for example) failed to materialize. Why, would it be considered "silly" to expect a company to back it's statements up with action?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    James, simply because, The company is only giving there best target baring any unexpected delays that they can't help. To peg them down as an exact date as you are doing is Silly. Gerald explained what the delays were and are, just except them at face value.
    Having not meeting expected shipping dates is not a poor reflection on Flex. There really is nothing they can do about it. Over 3000 parts and 100 suppliers, lots can go wrong. Maybe what they should have done is just keep silent and never give an projected shipping time.
    So, If anyone should be frustrated,,it's Gerald, many more times over what you are.
    Anyways I find this topic rather silly, I hope your new radio comes soon...
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Guys, none of this is helping the situation (other than make Flex feel they shared too much information so will not do that again!). Flex, for whatever reason, has a long track record of being overly optimistic on shipping new products. It was that way from the 5000 onwards. These mistakes make early adopters feel disappointment, probably prevent potential customers from buying their old product line (who wants to buy an obsolete radio?) and has to give Flex a cash-flow heartburn.

The track record, however, shows that once they ship, they produce a tremendous radio. The radios work intuitively, have good maintenance effort and the older products are so good that Flex probably has a trade-in program just to prevent them from competing with the new radios.

So, the overly optimistic announcements really hurt Flex a lot more than its customers because if they hang in there, they get a great radio and know that the next product announcement should be taken with a grain of skeptcism. That skepticism flows into these forums which drives off new buyers and does not help Flex's long-term survival.

Accept that they have overly optimistic project management but still deliver the goods when they do arrive. Don't excuse them for this, it is indeed an issue, but we should all hope for the success of the company (the market needs the competiition) and we love the radios.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Neil, I noticed you kept pilling the not helpful comments as it seems to you. I don't believe Gerald's projections are mistakes, he is just simply giving his best forecast barring an unforeseen problem.
    I also believe most new comers to Flex understands when he explains what is happening and they just go on with life.
    But there are those who make it there mission to keep pounding on it and creating a problem when there is not one.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Bill,  I don't intend to get in a flame war with you. I have owned Flex'es since 2006, have purchased almost every model as an initial buyer and have defended the company's practices over the years. I have owned a:
    SDR1000
    FLEX5000
    FLEX3000
    FLEX1500
    Flex-6700
    Flex-6500.

I am not sure what your history is, but blind admiration for the company doesn't really help people on the list, credibility towards other comments nor help Flex understand that everyone who notices areas to improve (and who doesn't have them) isn't an enemy. I am not sure that they have ever met the projection for radio delivery when taking initial order (see the 2 year wait for initial 6000s) but for those of us who love the company, we understand it could be rocky until the product is in our hands. Forecasts are forecasts but people who put down money for a deposit assume some credibility towards the projected delivery date. Its not just "his best projection at the time". If you order a pizza and they say "it will be there in an hour" and it comes the next day, you might not want it anymore. Same with radio buyers.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Neil it is not important what your history is. It is far more complicated then pizza making, it IS his best projection as for that week.
    Neil, what would you advise Gerald to do for now on, what should be changed in your opinion?
    Gerald is reading this, he will see it,,maybe you can help him?
  • James Whiteway
    edited December 2017
    Bill, to be clear, I never asked for an exact shipping date. And, I understand, in spite of what you may think, the complexity of the radio and issues that can, and do arise with suppliers. I said, and I'll repeat, I wish there was a way they could produce and ship a radio within the timeframe they say they will. But, they cannot and because of that, I will not pre-order anything from them or anyone else again. If it's not in stock and ready to ship, I don't need it. Lesson learned for me. So, let's drop this, and simply agree to disagree. Maybe, I'll work you on 20 meters when my new 6600M arrives! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family. I hope the new year brings you health, happiness and joy. James WD5GWY
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Bill, with my 30 years leading IT organizations, I understand the error margin of project projections. My concrete honest suggestion would be to run post postmortems on why the dates move so much and try to fix them  process-wise.

At a minimum they should be much further along in their development cycle before they announce products. They should recognize that bad things happen so they add a BIIIG buffer to whatever date the provide.

They may think  they are already doing it but the next postmortem should give them clues why the process still is not running optimally.

I have been part of a disastrously management company-survival project so have seen how horrible it can go. Flex is not in that territory, as I said, we all understand what the delivery projections are. I have also been part of major projects that delivered on date/cost and it requires superb staffing, discipline of message and  great communications between product management and project management.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.