Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Will the PowerGenius XL amplifier work with a FLEX-6500 on MARS/CAP frequencies in the USA?

Doug Evans
Doug Evans Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
If the PowerGenius XL is not capable of MARS/CAP frequencies, then I will look at an Acom or SPE.

Answers

• Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    You should look at tube amps with a variable output network.
  • Doug Evans
    Doug Evans Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I need quick "No Tune" capabilities.
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited November 2017
    I love my Alpha 9500 with my Flex 6700... with the Antenna Genius I have all bands auto switch and tune
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

I asked about mars capability with power genius xl and was told no but possibly in the future.

Bob Hardie at expert amps told me the SPE Expert 2K-FA has a menu setting to operate full coverage Mars/Cap. maybe someone that currently owns a 2K-FA can verify. I currently run an Expert 1K-FA which I love but while operating mars I have to run a different amp and tuner, this is the only thing that stops me from being fully automated. Maybe a 2K-FA in my future.

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    No MARS right now but it could be an option. That is the official line. Sorry I do not have anything more. 
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    The RF-Kits RF2K+ works on MARS freqs. I use my new RF2K+ there weekly. Full legal limit and solid state (BLF188XR x2).
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    If you wanted an SPE 2K I’d be calling K9CT. He just posted his for sale at a great price.
  • Doug Evans
    Doug Evans Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Is it controlled by the radio?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited November 2017
    The honest answer is, we haven't tested it so we do not know if it is suitable for operation on MARS frequencies.  Our concern would be adhering to NTIA compliance for spurious emissions since the amp is designed for use inside the IARU designated ham bands.  As such, we cannot endorse using the product in this manner until we have had an opportunity to characterize it.  

Once we better understand using the amp on MARS frequencies, there may be an optional hardware and/or software update that will enhance the operation of MARS.  At this time we cannot not make any commitments one way or another.
  • 4O3A Signature
    4O3A Signature Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Guys,

you have to understand that output filters are designed to cut off harmonics  on level of minimum -43dBc. PG XL is probably cleanest amplifier on the market, and because of that can shift on frequencies bellow HAM bands wider that others.
    Only limitation for operating out of HAM band are filters. Power Genius is capable to operate on some of frequencies, but can't operate on all with good harmonic suppression. None of solid state amplifiers can't. SPE or RF2K, or PG XL.

One example. You want to operate bellow 14MHz:
    PG XL has filter for 10MHz and 14MHz, and it works up to 14,5 MHz.  Above 14,5MHz it start to cut  spectrum and need to move at least 2-3MHz to have 30dB of attention.  If we say that on 17 MHz it has -30dB and add second harmonic suppression on LDMOS of 15dB, we are on -45dBc. It is minimum we have to have.
    As 17MHz is second harmonic frequency,  carrier frequency is 17MHz/2 = 8.5MHz. 
    With filter for 10/14Mhz it can operate from 8.5 - 14,5MHz. Pretty wide. 
    Low pas filter has minimum and maximum frequency, for needed harmonic suppression and it is more or less the same in all amplifiers. PG XL has most advanced filter unit, as we use diplexer system. 
    We could say - yes, PG XL can works on all frequencies. And it does, from 1,8 - 54 MHz, full power. Just switch it on 6M band. With 6M Low pass filter, amplifier is open for all frequencies. But - harmonics will be terrible,. It would be unfair to claim output power careless of specification. If someone is saying this, be careful. That kind of HAM amplifier does not exist.

What I can do to give you exact and accurate information? I will measure harmonics and will make exact specification of frequency bands where harmonics are under FCC rules.

• Lee Ligon
    Lee Ligon Member
    edited December 2017
    The following is what I got from a sales rep when I was trying to decide on whether to reserve the amp, the question was explicitly to determine the suitability of the Power Genius for MARS operation:

Operation of the PGXL from 5 to 7 MHZ should be fine with band data set to 7Mhz. Just bellow 20M is fine as well and band data should be 20M.  With this filter it will fork anywhere between 10MHz and 14.4 MHz. With band data on 15M it can operate anywhere between 18-29 MHz, except 26-28.

I hope that helps you with your MARs questions.

Many 73, Mike va3mw

I took this to indicate that the amp would be usable on MARS frequencies, with reduced output.  Is this no longer the case?  If it is, I will need to look elsewhere for an amp for MARS usage.

• 4O3A Signature
    4O3A Signature Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Amplifier will work with full, not reduced power Ranko
  • 4O3A Signature
    4O3A Signature Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

Power Genius is designed for high performance on HAM radio bands. Spurious emissions are much better than needed by standard FCC 97.307. Thanks to diplexer filters in output circuit Power Genius can operate in a much wider frequency range without any modifications. Except one very narrow frequency **** from 2,2 to 2,5 MHz, where spurious are > 35dB , Power Genius can operate broadband without any modifications.

Requirements for operating on MARS frequencies:

- Load firmware with the MARS option unlocked – will be available soon.

If you intend to use CAT controlled radios band switching will be automatic.

If not, you will need to select the proper filter manually. This option will be available in special MARS software.

We check all parameters in LAB, running full legal power, and results are given in table below:

• Lee Ligon
    Lee Ligon Member
    edited December 2017
    Thank you for the post above, that is exactly what I needed to know ... and, excellent news.  I look forward to receiving and using my Power Genius XL!  If you need beta testers for the MARS firmware/software, I will be more than happy to  help!
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    OH please do not add more BETA testers just send them out to us "CHARLIE" testers aka "Common" users!   :)
  • Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭

no new on MARS frequencies?

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭

My 6700 and PGXL have worked all MARS/SHARES frequencies that I've tried. The PGXL required no unlock just the 6700 special file.

Bill AB7AA NNL9FK

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.