Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6500 with SCS DR-7400 Pactor.

Kg5dwx
Kg5dwx Member ✭✭
edited December 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows

Thanks for your help on my earlier post, I have the SCS on the ACC port with the SCS cable, Now transmitting at a reasonable level In RMS express I an using PSK-850 FSK-850 to get good transmit levels. TX delay I have tried from 5 to 40. Never connects, trys but never links up. Is anyone else using a SCS DR-7400/7800 with the Flex. Please, any help welcome and appreciated!

Rodney

Austin

KG5DWX

512-496-4301.

Answers

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Rodney, Travis seems to have got his P4Dragon working:
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/pactor_p4_dragon_release_1_2_17
    Travis should be W3TMB, you could answer his posting or look him up on QRZ.com and send him an email.

I have used this article:
    http://kc.flexradio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50422.aspx
    to build a cable for my Flex-3000 and PTC-IIpro, which works quite well.
    I plan to use this wiring diagram to build a cable for my Flex-6500 and PTCIIpro.

Can't say anything about the P4 Dragon - yet, as I don't own it.
    What sort of cable are you using? I don't see anyhing abot FlexRadios on the
    SCS page and would be interested to know where you can buy one.

My PACTOR stations are:

IC-756 and PTC-II at the DL0KHZ Karlsruhe club station
    IC-756PRO and PTC-IIpro at my DH2ID home station
    FT-897D and PTC-IIex at my mobile/portable station

All these setups are also used for EMCOMM in the German
    Amateur Radio Emergency network.

I am still experimenting with SDR's for PACTOR use, but I have
    trouble with TX delay and latency.
    I will therefore keep my "old" TRXs running. I especially love the
    ICOM radios, as they are PIN diode switching and you hear no relay
    clicks....

Sorry, but that is all I can tell you. I someone here has a P4 dragon running
    with a Flex-6000 series TRX, I would also be very interested to know the
    setup, wiring diagram and RMSExpress settings!

73, Alex DH2ID
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    FWIW,  Have run my 6500 with RMS Express using the WInmor TNC,  The Winmor TNC consistantly reports a TX>RX turnaround in the 300-500 msec range.  I haven;t used a hardware PACTOR but my guess is that the TX>RX turnaround is tighter for PACTOR than Winmor.    The turn around in the Flex radios can mostly be traced to the DSP in the radio.   IF latency is the issue, you are likely to heard the other station respond to your transmission but the connect attempts are unsuccessful.
    YMMV

AL, K0VM
  • Ed.G
    Ed.G FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    In order to run PACTOR with the 6000 series radios there are a couple of things that have to be in place:

1. The slice used for PACTOR must be in DIGU or DIGL with a filter wider than 3k. This will make SmartSDR use lower latency filters to decrease turnaround time. 

2. Make sure the audio levels are set properly. The MIC level meter should peak right under 0. 

3. Although you can use AGC with PACTOR on some paths you can save a few milliseconds of latency by setting the AGC to OFF. 

4. Make sure PROC and the EQ are off as well. 

• Kg5dwx
    Kg5dwx Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks to all, this one worked. Does any one know if you can turn up the gain on the ACC port?
  • Kg5dwx
    Kg5dwx Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    This works:
    Flex:
    DIGIU at 5K
    Mike=ACC
    EQ=off
    PROC=off (Default on DIGIU)
    DEXP=off (Default on DIGIU)
    Set Comport you are using to Active in CAT

RMS Express:
    TNC setup:
    PSK=4000 (max)
    FSK=4000 (max)
    TX delay 0 to 20
    Radio:
    Radio - Flex
    Band USB DIGITAL

Seems to work!

Rodney H. Warner
    KG5DWX
    512-496-4301 cell

• Craig McVeay
    Craig McVeay Member
    edited December 2017
    I'd like to resurrect this discussion to see if anyone else has solved the riddle of the Pactor modems with the Flex Signature series?

My Flex 6500 will key up and TX what appear to be clear tones (using monitor) through the SCS PTC-IIpro modem.  It is connected to the radio with the cable provided by Farralon Electronics and it is made for the Flex 6500.  I've tried the exact settings found in several posts here, as well as some variations of the settings.  So far, I have been unable to make a Pactor connection.  I can hear the distant end responding but the Flex never seems to "pick up the phone" in response.  I'm afraid that if I can't get this working, I may have to put the Flex on the used radio market and pick up another IC-7300 (which works just fine with the modem).  Is there anyone else that's gotten this combination to work together?

Craig
    N0CSM

P.S.  Winlink/Winmor works as well as Winmor can work.
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    is there a commercially made cable that one can buy to interface between modem and Flex 6300 ?
    Andy K3UK
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I would recommend calling the US dealers, http://www.farallon.us/webstore/ I didn't find a cable here in Germany and therefore had to build one myself. That was quite easy, just a bit soldering. ..
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I emailed the Canadian dealer and they have no cable to suggest, they are looking in to the issue for me.  They have never had a request for cables to interface  a Flex 6000 series radio. 

• Kg5dwx
    Kg5dwx Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    The US dealer sold me mine, I may have one laying around as I don’t use it with the flex any longer.Email me at rhwarner@me.com

Rodney H. Warner
    AAA6RD
    U. S. Army MARS
    512-496-4301 cell

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.