Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

V2.0 port forwarding

John Kludt
John Kludt Member ✭✭
Port numbers to be forwarded: 4993 and 4994 or 4992 and 4994?  I have seen both.  Does it matter?  I set SmartLink and my router to 4993 and 4994.  I get the green light but have trouble connecting on WAN's (Starbucks).

Answers

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    4993 and 4994 are OK - but maybe Starbucks provide you some problems. Can you test from an none commercial WiFi acces point?
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

I have been confused regarding the port number assignments also. Most stand-alone servers like power devices, cameras, etc., allows one to manually assign a port number to the device, but not duplicating a port number used on another piece of equipment. Where do these numbers come from and why can't we assign any arbitrary port number to the radio?

Jim, K6QE

• John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Maybe I'm really mistaken but I thought I read that 4993 was an incoming port and 4994 was an outgoing port for a single flex server. But then the discussion (in another thread) asked about another (a second) flex server on the same network and that is when the suggestion was made that the second server could use 4992 for the second server's incoming port and still use 4994 on the second server for its outgoing port. Do I have this right? Aren't ports (typically) one way in or one way out? I'm guessing that the same outgoing port number on different servers would not interfere with each other but different incoming ports on different servers are needed to route traffic to the correct servers. That's how I've been interpreting the port number discussions.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2019
    The radio uses 4994/tcp and 4993/upd.  You can do a translational port forward, for example, define tcp port 21000 on the firewall to map to port 4994/tcp on the radio and define udp port 22000 on the firewall to map to port 4993/udp on the radio.

Or you can do a 1:1 translation where you define tcp port 4992 on the firewall to map to port 4992/tcp on the radio and define udp port 4993 on the firewall to map to port 4993/udp on the radio.

Do what ever your firewall allows.

If you can use UPnP, do that as it will do the port forwarding automatically.
  • Torsten
    Torsten Member
    edited February 2020
    I have no idea with Port forwarding on the Fritzbox?
    Can a Germany OM take a picture for me?
  • Torsten
    Torsten Member
    edited April 2020
    So i use a Fritzbox 7490.
    I open the Port 4994 tcp with Port 21000 (extern for firewall) open the Port 4993 udp (with Port 22000)
    in IPV4The Flex is also exposed host - free for Internet an has a one extern IP Adress.
    But i can install Version 2. I have a ticket, but it doesn't help me. I think a german OM hat the same Fritzbox and a better idea ?!
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
  • Torsten
    Torsten Member
    edited November 2017
    Thanks Chris,
    this from my Fritzbox. But it doesn't run..... "license required"image
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Cant understand, maybe you join Flex-DL group on Facebook and we can talk direct or send me your smart phone number and we can talk direct or via WhatsApp => dl5nam@gmx.de

• David McDonald
    edited July 2018
    My belkin router states that the UPnP is enabled but when I click automatic then test I get a red light.
  • Dale Nelson
    Dale Nelson Member
    edited February 2019
    Hello Tim. 

My name is Dale.  I'm working with John on getting his Flexradio set up on the network.  This is an enterprise network; no little home routers.  Cisco/Juniper stuff with very complicated setup and VLANS.

What I would like to know is exactly all of the ports and procotols that the device needs, as if it was directly connected to the internet with nothing in between.  I cannot do port forwarding, but I can allow the ports and protocols to and from a specific IP.

Or, how to give the device a real static IP.

This will be a unique set up in the environment John and I are associated with.

I am happy to get emails away from the forum and report back after the issues get resolved for anyone else trying to use the Flexradios in an exceptionally robust network environment.

Best regards,

Dale Nelson
    KE7BSB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.