Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Graphic Panadapter Background(s)

Jim  KJ7S
Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in New Ideas
This is one that has always been (well, almost) available to the PSDR (legacy) radios. The ability to place a favorite graphic in the panadapter background so you can have your choice of eye candy and make the radio that much more "Yours". I had several favorite graphics that I used to put in the PSDR programs when I was running the Flex 5000 and I really would like to see this option become available for the SSDR "6's".  Either open a "spot" within the radio for graphic backgrounds, or code the SSDR software to accept/store some graphics on board the tablet or computer and import it to the program's panadapter background. Just a thought...maybe start a vote on this as well?
imageimage

Comments

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Cool, but doesn't it camouflage what you are trying to see?
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Maybe, and not really, simply because you choose a graphic that is not too overwhelming, for example, a darkish background rather than a bright, sunny one. And the other thing is that there were/are, in PSDR at least, many ways to change intensity of the "information lines" like color, thickness, and transparency levels. I even played with a bright background, and Dark Information line combinations which were, admittedly, tough on the eyes hi.
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I like the idea... if only to be able to change the color.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    There are so many other things I'd like to see in SmartSDR than a background graphic.  I'd prefer the programming staff focus on basic functionality.

Norm - W7CK
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I have all the functionality I need. Remember, SSDR is supposed to be feature frozen. But then again I see and read the panadapter fill feature is coming.
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Well, it isn't like I'd make it a high priority by any stretch, as there are a myriad of items that could be improved upon or added to the functionality of the system, of that there is no doubt. But even with the eye candy already so far ahead of most other systems, it'd be nice to be able to expand on that a bit.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    It appears there is never a good time to just concentrate on the GUI and user experience. All through 1.x the reason to avoid GUI changes was a concentration on basic functionality. Version 2.x would be here soon and things would be better. Well 2.x is here. Basically, my experience with SSDR has not changed much since I first installed it.

Does it make sense to the developers out there that the GUI/UX and the basic radio software seem to be on the same critical path? Wouldn't they normally be taken care of by two different people or teams? I wouldn't expect someone able to program amazing SDR features to also be the same resources that create and maintain the GUI. Different skills.

Outstanding radio. Maybe outstanding radio software (referring to actual SDR functions). Mediocre user interface.

Kev K4VD
  • James Whiteway
    edited July 2019
    I like the idea of a user customizable interface like PSDR. Just add a menu selection to go back to the current look as a default setting should the user mess things up. Oh, as for "Feature frozen" until SSDR has an "all mode" squelch, (and other current features that don't work as well as their counterpart in PSDR) to me at least, SSDR is not feature complete. I was told, (when will I ever learn) by sales when I bought my 6300, that SSDR would have ALL of the features of PSDR, plus features unique to SSDR, before having to purchase the next version. The next version is here and SSDR still lags behind PSDR in "basic" functionality. This is not a jab at FRS, but, if it were me, I would not let salesmen, no matter how well intentioned they may be, make promises or statements that the company and it's developers cannot meet. Or have any intention of meeting. It would save a lot of hard feelings. I'm looking forward to my 6600M. James WD5GWY
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Really, it is only V.1 that is frozen,,,lots of new features and updates are coming for V.2
    It seems silly to me to keep comparing PSDR features with SSDR. PSDR was many years in development, and it still is. So about 15 years working on PSDR.

There are many things that can be done with SSDR that can't be done with PSDR, like wide band coding. And Flex did not mislead anyone in order to make a sale,
    If people really think SSDR is so bad, then just go back to the Flex 5000, or 3000, and be happy, for me,,I am very glad I am not dealing with the busy display and thick client platform of PSDR, good bye PSDR
  • James Whiteway
    edited July 2019
    Bill, I too like the cleaner interface of SSDR as opposed to the more cluttered look of PSDR. What I was talking about, are things that should be working as well as those that are in PSDR, that are also in SSDR, but do not preform at the same level as PSDR. The things I mentioned have nothing to do with the GUI, but, are basic to both programs. The 15 years of working on PSDR should give developers insight on making the same functions work equally well between both platforms. Whether, the processing of signals takes place on the PC as in PSDR or inside the radio, like it does with the 6000 series radios, the math etc. is close enough to be the same. Processing in the radio cuts down on latency that can **** things like Full Breakin, in CW using a PC and USB or a Firewire connection between the radio and PC.   
    That's the beauty of having all but the GUI processing take place in the radio with dedicated processors.  Much higher thru-put, little to no, latency.
     I personally don't think SSDR is bad, it's simply behind it's older sibling in things that should exist, and work on both platforms. I have no desire to go back to the older systems after owning a 6300 and a 6500 plus Maestro, and soon, (I hope!) 6600M.
    If I felt otherwise, I would never have bought the 6500 after owning the 6300 and now, the 6600M.
      As for Flex misleading someone ( I'm assuming you are referring to me), in my opinion, they did. Well, not they as in the company, just their sales person. As I said earlier, Sales people should never be allowed to makes promises, statements about features, performance etc. in an upcoming product without absolutely knowing that it is going to be available and when it will. To do otherwise, is misleading.
    Bill, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Which is fine.
    james
    WD5GWY

• FISHULA X
    FISHULA X Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
     The perfect Flex would be all the options the 5000A had.Including, being able to save recorded files. As many of you  may not know, on the 5000a you could record large parts of the band and save it and listen to it later and Get this, you could use your VFO and look and listen to signals just like it was LIVE.  Kinda like Tivo for amateur radio.That's what I liked. As I said, the perfect Flex would be a combo of Power SDR and Smart SDR. The features on Power SDR are increadable. I also love Smart SDR. I just wish I could change colors and background images like I did with Power SDR on my 5000A. I guess if you want all those features now, you gotta have both Power SDR and Smart SDR. I must admit, I love the remote capabilities of Smart SDR but, I sure do miss the full features of Power SDR.. Just my 2 cents.. 73

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.