Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Android App Advance Orders ?

2»

Answers

• Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    This can be done today with a convertible 2-1 windows notebook, and it even supports a directly-attached FlexControl.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Nifty - very "**** Tracy"!
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Like this? image
  • Duane  N9DG
    Duane N9DG Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Nope, not even close, especially the "knob" part.. That is pretty much just a traditional physical radio's controls drawn as a picture on a computer screen. Precisely what you don't want to do. And there are way too many controls presented at one time.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    image CommCat. No Spectrum. Which is why I prefer SSDR for iOS
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Remote Desktop and a good SIP audio client on the PC works great while we wait for a native Android client.  When there is one, I'm in for a license.  $100 wouldn't be too much  if it controls the Flex and the rest of the station too.  If it looks like what I'm doing now on my 5.5 inch Android phone it would be fantastic.

• Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    It's all about market share and effort involved. Engineering, whatever your flavor, is not cheap. I'm an engineer and I know that I am definitely NOT a cheap date. :)

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I know there are a lot of non apple users out there, me included, I have an android phone. I would purchase software for my phone.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Most recent update with RCForb added to the mix using Android Multi-Window which is included in Nougat 7.0 forward.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    If I buy the app, is this what I see on my phone? Just install the app and connect to my Flex?
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Bill,

Unfortunately no but the extra setup effort required has been worth it to me. I've used the IOS app on an iPhone & an iPad but didn't get this kind of complete station visability and control, all on one screen. Monitoring my linear while I'm transmitting is particularly important to me. Once things are setup and you get through the learning curve, it's pretty much straight forward.

The bottom part of the screen is RCForb. It connects to the RCForb server on my PC at the station. Download this server free at www.remotehams.com.
    The top window is remote desktop looking at my PC so I can see the PC screen remotely on my phone.

It takes some time to install things & get used to it but once that's done it's pretty quick to open each time. I leave the PC on 24/7 dedicated to this.

If you're using Windows 10 on the PC, opening or closing Remote Desktop closes all audio requiring a restart of the RCForb server each time from your remote device. This can be a pain sometimes. I suggest Windows 7 or 8.1

Look at this thread for more detailed posts.
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexr...
  • AB9UU
    AB9UU Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I would pre-order an Android app.  There are lots of small Android tablets available but few small Windows Tablets (if any) small enough to use in the car that are cheap enough or powerful enough if I stuck my 6300 in the trunk (like I actually do sometimes).  Perhaps this will change soon but maybe not. The Maestro is great but big and heavy.  The VFO knob moves by itself in the car with bumps or vibrations too.  I stuck some Velcro under the knob to solve this for now.   I do not like Apple's decision to not have an audio jack among other things.  I am also unsure if the Ipad can accept a direct Ethernet connection as Best Buy told me it would not, though I think they are wrong as there seems to be adapters for this.   
  • AB9UU
    AB9UU Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Agree 100% with the simple mobile app comments. 
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Consider the Microsoft Surface Go - it is a 10" tablet, has 4 gig RAM, 64 gig storage, a beautiful display and is about $400. There is another model with double the RAM and storage space for $500. It (obviously) runs Windows. An iPad also makes a great controller for a Flex radio. I don't think Flex is interested in collecting deposits for future products, and in the past has pointed out that the information needed to 'roll-your-own' interface on whatever platform you want is available. Flex offers a Windows software base, others offer Mac and IOS programs to control the 6000 series Flex radios. It should also be possible to control your Flex from an Android device running the remotehams.com programs, but that will recourse a minimum of two computers/devices with low specs , one to interface the radio to the internet, another to act as the control surface. The remotehams.com software supports android clients.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.