Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Down loading SDR 2.0xxx copies and CW remote

Doug
Doug Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have an 6400M on order and am wondering how many copies of the SDR2.0xxx I can download. The reason for the question is I would like one for my desktop in my hamshack, one for my LT etc. The other question is when running remote how can I run CW using a paddle or will I only be able to run a keyboard for sending

Answers

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Only the radio is registered. You can download and install as many copies of software as desired. Mack W4AX Alpha Team
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    When on a system remote from the radio you will use keyboard CW through the CWX window that is part of Smart SDR.

There are some remote paddle options but I have not tried them.  There could be latency issues and there is always the issue of side tone.  CWX does it for you.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    As mentioned, any number you like.

Also, production software versions are free for anyone to download. So if you have a buddy that you'd like to get on your radio to try it out, just send them to the flex website and have them download. Then get them on SmartLink and you're good to go. I've given quite a few radio demos that way. I even let one of my friends operate since he had to downsize to an apartment with no antennas.
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    OK thanks to all and Ria let me address this to you. I was under the impression that the 6400M uses only the new software that will cost $200 + dollars to download unless of course you buy the 6400-6600 radio's. So if I understand this correctly it will also run the free software or other 3rd party software true ? I know nothing about Flex radio's, have never had my hands on one and only watch Youtube video's

Thanks again Doug K9CRT
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited November 2017
    Doug.

Let me clarify a few things.

1.) The 6400, 6400M, 6600, and 6600M will only run SmartSDR v2 and above.
    2.) For those radios, the cost of the software is included in the price of the radio.
    For the "1st generation" 6000s (6300, 6500 and 6700) they can run SmartSDR v1 or SmartSDR v2 and above.
    3.) Whenever you upgrade to a major version of SmartSDR (V2 to V3 for example), that requires you to purchase a new software license.  The cost for SmartSDR v2 is $199.
    4.) All minor version releases within a major software release "family" are free if you have purchased a major software version for that family.

If a particular radio will run third-party software or not, like the dogparkSDR for OS X, is determined by that software's development team.
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Thank you and let me clear up one point here before I am totally clear ............... Ria wrote below

also, production software versions are free for anyone to download. So if you have a buddy that you'd like to get on your radio to try it out, just send them to the flex website and have them download. Then get them on SmartLink and you're good to go. I've given quite a few radio demos that way. I even let one of my friends operate since he had to downsize to an apartment with no antennas.

so this is not true with the new 6400M I have place on order.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited November 2017
    what is not true?
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Well Tim says 1.) The 6400, 6400M, 6600, and 6600M will only run SmartSDR v2 and above but then Ria said  Also, production software versions are free for anyone to download. So if you have a buddy that you'd like to get on your radio to try it out, just send them to the flex website and have them download. Then get them on SmartLink and you're good to go. I've given quite a few radio demos that way. I even let one of my friends operate since he had to downsize to an apartment with no antennas. So this is what I am trying to clear up..... I am not implying anyone is not telling the truth sorry if I came out that way but these two statements seem to indicate different things in my mind.
  • Ted_Spiegel_NX6C
    Ted_Spiegel_NX6C Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Doug,
       A 6400, 6400M, 6600 and 6600M will run SmartSDR v2.   Any of your friends or ham buddies will be able to download SmartSDR v2 and remotely run SmartLink to your radio.  The license for v2 applies to the radio.  Your 6400M will always run v2 either locally from your local LAN or remotely via SmartLink over the internet.
    Does that help?

Ted
    NX6C
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    As I understand it, the software is licensed by server.  In this case a server is your RADIO..  When you download a new major release/version of the software and install it on your radio(server), if you haven't paid for it, you will be asked to do so at that time - during installation on the radio.

The person running SmartSDR on a Laptop (client) or other device does not need to purchase the software license.  He/she only needs to make sure the version they are installing is the same one on the radio/server. 

You can run any number of clients without having to purchase the software. 

Norm - W7CK
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Doug - let me clarify what I said.

There is no charge to download the client software. Anyone can do it.

To actually use it with a radio, the radio itself must have a license. 

As far as versions go:

Flex-6700, 6500 and 6300 can use version 1.0 and 2.0 and anything that comes after that. By 1.0 and 2.0 I mean any minor versions as well - eg. 1.11, 2.0.19 

2.0 requires the purchase of a license for those radios if they aren't licensed already. Radios that are licensed already are radios that were bought after the 2.0 license announcement and radios that were limited edition models that have the badge "LIMITED EDITION" on them. 

The 6400 and 6600 can only use version 2.0 and above. It cannot run version 1.0 software. 

So what I said is that there is no limit for anyone to download the software. If your friend wants to use your radio and you give them permission, they download from the flex website the software version that your radio has on it. They can then log on via smartlink. 

Again - no charge for the actual download. However, the radio must be properly licensed to use that particular software version. That will incur a charge. The 6400 and 6600 already come with 2.0 and don't incur an additional charge to use that version software.

Hope this helps
    Ria
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Ria, thanks for your replies and with your help, everyone's help here I am starting to understanding now. I know it seems easy for experienced flex users but to me I need to learn and speak a new language. IE a radio is no longer a radio but a server, a friend is no longer a friend but a client etc.  Also I didn't understand the new 6400/6600 couldn't run the earlier versions of the software etc. Very confusing for a new user to jump into but again I am eager to learn and thanks again. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.